Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 514

B12 OL Rankings

Haven't seen this posted from Scout...and apparently, somehow they missed Brayden Burris.

Scout.com: Around the Big 12: Offensive Line

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: B12 OL Rankings

I am going to miss KO this year!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I looked at the TE rankings, and the guy writing these had us high--despite starter Reid Branderhorst being a big loss.

Seriously.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 35

My thoughts on the OL:

LT: Bykowski was solid last year when KO was out. He's not going to be as dominant as KO for sure, but he also probably won't get a false start penalty every game. I think that he'll do fine.

LG: Tuftee was unspectacular last year, but he did OK. He's strong, but maybe not all that mobile.

C: Farniok held his own last season. He's only going to get better and he'll be the anchor of the OL the next 3 years.

RG: Gannon I thought outplayed Tuftee at times when he subbed in last year. He's only going to improve.

RT: I think that Burris struggles at times, but he has a ton of experience and he should be healthy.

Depth:
    Tautolo - Did just fine subbing in for Farniok. Snaps were good. A solid backup.
    Lichtenburg - Can play multiple positions, but needs to be more physical and grow into his frame a little.
    Dika - Supposedly would be competing for a starting spot if he wasn't injured. I'm not sold that he'll make it back at some point this year, but if he does, he'll be a nice addition.
    Graham/Loth - Haven't seen much of them yet. They'd have to make major leaps to get into the rotation.
    Dagel/Omoile/Lalk -After redshirting last year, they likely need another year of development to see any playing time.

I think that ISU has the chance to have a decent OL, but not overpowering. IMO Hicks can be replaced fairly easily, but KO not so much. They're just going to need Bykowski to be solid and hope that the other four positions improve. Injuries last year ended up helping the OL depth by giving experience to Gannon, Bykowski, Lichtenburg and Tautolo. IMO Farniok and Gannon have a chance to make major strides and that should help the OL as a whole. I have no issues with Scout ranking them 7th.

Last edited by Frak; 07-07-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,261
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I looked at the TE rankings, and the guy writing these had us high--despite starter Reid Branderhorst being a big loss.

Seriously.
    Windmill. Although I will say, his Kick/Punt returns assessment is pretty fair

4. Iowa State- Sophomore wide receiver Jarvis West only returned 22 kickoffs last year but he had 571 returning yards and showed with some more experience, he could be a real threat in 2012. If West gets more opportunities next year, look for him to take a few kickoffs back for a touchdown as the 57 sophomore has speed and is hard to tackle. Senior wide receiver Josh Lenz also contributed with 525 return yards on 24 attempts last year. This duo of talented kick returners could greatly help field position for the Cyclones in 2012.

Addict
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 0

Year in and year out, our OL has to be the most overrated group on the team.

When you see interviews every year with the position coaches, all of them except Bleil are pretty hard on their group.... saying things like "we got a lot of work to do to get where we need to be", etc.

But Bleil, every single year, is VERY positive about the OL it seems. He always talks about how good they are and how deep they are, etc. And so everyone always thinks we have a really good and deep OL, but we normally never meet those expectations IMO.

In fact, year in and year out, I'd say our OL has been pretty sub par IMO. RB's don't have a lot of holes to run through, and the QB's generally don't have much time at all to throw either. This group HAS to be better for us to improve.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    My thoughts on the OL:

LT: Bykowski was solid last year when KO was out. He's not going to be as dominant as KO for sure, but he also probably won't get a false start penalty every game. I think that he'll do fine.

LG: Tuftee was unspectacular last year, but he did OK. He's strong, but maybe not all that mobile.

C: Farniok held his own last season. He's only going to get better and he'll be the anchor of the OL the next 3 years.

RG: Gannon I thought outplayed Tuftee at times when he subbed in last year. He's only going to improve.

RT: I think that Burris struggles at times, but he has a ton of experience and he should be healthy.

Depth:
    Tautolo - Did just fine subbing in for Farniok. Snaps were good. A solid backup.
    Lichtenburg - Can play multiple positions, but needs to be more physical and grow into his frame a little.
    Dika - Supposedly would be competing for a starting spot if he wasn't injured. I'm not sold that he'll make it back at some point this year, but if he does, he'll be a nice addition.
    Graham/Loth - Haven't seen much of them yet. They'd have to make major leaps to get into the rotation.
    Dagel/Omoile/Lalk -After redshirting last year, they likely need another year of development to see any playing time.

I think that ISU has the chance to have a decent OL, but not overpowering. IMO Hicks can be replaced fairly easily, but KO not so much. They're just going to need Bykowski to be solid and hope that the other four positions improve. Injuries last year ended up helping the OL depth by giving experience to Gannon, Bykowski, Lichtenburg and Tautolo. IMO Farniok and Gannon have a chance to make major strides and that should help the OL as a whole. I have no issues with Scout ranking them 7th.

Good analysis - I think we have depth, hoping a guy or two step up.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Year in and year out, our OL has to be the most overrated group on the team.

But Bleil, every single year, is VERY positive about the OL it seems. He always talks about how good they are and how deep they are, etc. And so everyone always thinks we have a really good and deep OL, but we normally never meet those expectations IMO.
    Apparently you aren't listening closely enough. The only thing that they ever talk about each year is how they have "better depth" than the precious year. They are very careful not to say anything else.

The first year, the effective depth was a walkon senior. It progressed each year, unil last fall, not only did three reserves (Bykowski, Lichtenberg and Gannon) play, they were FORCED to play--and had the rubber band stretched any further, it would have snapped. That's why so many players were lining up every Saturday injured--which didn't help performance at all.

So, if they say again that depth is "improved"...it simply means that there might be FOUR guys capable of playing . Nothing more, nothing less.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My thoughts on the OL:
    *Perhaps not as good run blocking--maybe better pass protecting.

*I don't think there's much "maybe" about it. Omoile may push him, since he's strong AND mobile.

*Could hit all conference honors after the season.

*Needs to get stronger, there was a reason he was supposed to be pushed by Dika

*"Healthy" could make a vast difference.

I'm out of gas--good night!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

I think Gannon will have a big year. He came on strong at the end of last season and I felt the line was more consistent when he was in. Tuftee struggles to move very well (especially in pass protection) and if Omoile can push him then more power to him.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 810
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

I will not claim to be an expert when it comes to the Cyclone offensive line. However, after reading Mr. Weston Wilson's opinion of Kansas State's offensive line, I did not bother reading what he wrote about the remainder of the schools. If a man does not even know who the starters were coming out of the spring game, he has not done his homework and his opinions are pure BS. Wilson is so in the dark that he did not know that Foketi, returning starter at left tackle at Kansas State, was down to 3rd string at the end of spring ball and is transferring out for his redshirt senior season.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Our O-line should average something like 6'5 300+ pounds so running straight forward SHOULDN'T be an issue. With zone read type run plays, hopefully they can be mobile and fairly agile.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    I think Gannon will have a big year. He came on strong at the end of last season and I felt the line was more consistent when he was in. Tuftee struggles to move very well (especially in pass protection) and if Omoile can push him then more power to him.
    I hope so about Gannon. 'll be curious to see how much stronger he is--I know the coaches were really high on him last year. I'll also be interested to see if he swings back out to tackle for 2013.

As far as Omoile--in some ways he reminds me of Farniok after his redshirt--without the open starting spot waiting for him.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 163

My thoughts on the OL:

Depth:
    Hasn't AA mentioned on several occasions that he thinks Bykowski will play on Sundays. That's all the opinion I need, if true. A QB should sure know if a LT can play ball.

I would also love to see Omoile jump into rotation at quard with all the rumors of his strength, mobility and mean streak.