Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Headed to Mackinac Island and Leelanau Pennisula..ideas?

Have any of you been to either Mackinac Island and/or Leelanau Pennisula? Could use some ideas on what to see and where to drink and eat.
    Thanks

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 46

Re: Headed to Mackinac Island and Leelanau Pennisula..ideas?

Mackinac is great! I went when I was younger, so can't remember specifics, but for sure buy some fudge.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 18

All i remember is the ferry and fudge. I went when i was < 8.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Have any of you been to either Mackinac Island and/or Leelanau Pennisula? Could use some ideas on what to see and where to drink and eat.
    Thanks
    On Mackinaw it's mainly fudge and enjoying the old buildings, shops etc. No cars so you can rent bikes, walk, or do Horse and buggy. Very expensive, don't know if you're staying there or not. Not a huge fan but as a Michigander I have to get there every now and then.

Leelanau is a whole other story, it's awesome. I'm assuming you are driving so if you are starting from Mackinaw make sure you come down 31 and hit Petosky, Charlevoix and Traverse City on the way to Leelanau, beautiful towns and great places on the water to grab a beer(MI craft beers of course). Traverse has some Awesome places to eat, but nothing compares to Boones Long Lake Inn(make sure you don't get directed to their burger joint) go to the actual steakhouse(I'd recommend the 22 oz prime rib or 18 oz strip). Also, you HAVE to get Moomer's ice cream in Traverse as well, it's out in the country only 2 miles from Boones.

Leelanau is filled with wineries that have free or very inexpensive tasting, so it's a great way to travel up the penninsula to enjoy the views. Sleeping Bear Dunes is on Leelanau and is a National Park and was voted "Most Beautiful Place in America" by Good Morning America, it's pretty amazing. One hidden gem is Fishtown, in Leelanau Pen. as well. Fisherman come in on the channel into down town and you can buy fish right from the boat and there are resturants that have a special permit where you can bring your fish in and have them cook it.

That's just a few ideas, you can message me if you want anymore information or ideas.

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Leelanau Penninsula is by Traverse City right, just making sure I'm thinking of the right place. Anyway I went to both places two years ago.

Mackinac - I wasn't a huge fan, kind of fun for the day, but that's about it. The area right as you get off the boats is tourist trap central, the stores go Fudge, Souvenier, Ice Cream, Restaurant, then back to Fudge and start all over. If you have the full day I'd think about renting a bike and getting away from that area. I didn't stay on the island, so maybe it's better if you stay at one of the nice hotels there.

For Leelanau, I spent my whole time at Sleeping Bear Dunes. It's a lot of fun, plenty of beaches and the water is actually blue unlike the brown I see in Chicago. There's a dune climb which is fun, but be warned it's a mile hike to get to the beach. If all you want to do is get to the beach there are several others that are easier to get to. I went to a beach by North Bar Lake that was pretty good, had an interior lake and then swimming in Lake Michigan. I camped at DH Day which had a beach too that was nice and not crowded. Glen Arbor is a decent town to get lunch at, but not a whole lot there. The scenic drive was fun too, I went early and beat the crowds. You get to drive up to the top of some of the dunes and get a good look out over the lake.