Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tigers Looking at Garza

The Detroit Tigers inquired about Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza this past offseason.

Nothing came to fruition at the time, but it appears the Tigers' interest hasn't waned.

Nearly halfway through the season, Detroit has apparently reopened discussions with the Cubs regarding Garza, who figures to be one of the top pitchers on the market leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

The Boston Globe confirmed the rumor Sunday, identifying the Tigers as one of six teams that have held multiple phone conversations with Cubs general manager Theo Epstein about Garza.

According to the report, the Tigers join the Braves, Royals, Cardinals, Red Sox and Jays as interested parties seeking details on Garza, who is 3-5 on the year with a 4.07 ERA in 13 starts. http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...mong_si_2.html

Detroit Tigers could address starting rotation at trade deadline; will Shaun Marcum be considered? | MLive.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,156
    Given: 822

Re: Tigers Looking at Garza

While pitching is a need, I would hope they're looking for a shortstop and/or a second baseman. And someone that would allow them to cut Delmon Young.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Got anyone that can play 3rd?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Detroit won't trade Castellano's their top prospect who plays 3rd.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    While pitching is a need, I would hope they're looking for a shortstop and/or a second baseman. And someone that would allow them to cut Delmon Young.
    You guys are already willing to throw in the towel on DY? His numbers are almost exactly what they were this time last year with Minnesota before an explosive second half. He could come back a-swingin' after the break.

Delmon's been maddeningly inconsistent his entire career, but he's the type of player that has so much raw ability that it just takes a few adjustments at the plate to get something valuable out of him.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    You guys are already willing to throw in the towel on DY? His numbers are almost exactly what they were this time last year with Minnesota before an explosive second half. He could come back a-swingin' after the break.

Delmon's been maddeningly inconsistent his entire career, but he's the type of player that has so much raw ability that it just takes a few adjustments at the plate to get something valuable out of him.
    He has already been relegated to DH because as bad as the Tigers' defense is, he is that much worse. The problem is is his offensive production is not really worthy of being a DH. His line so far this year is .269 BA, .296 OBP, 7 HR, 32 RBI, 9 BB, 58 K. Chew on that one for a moment - he has 10 fewer HR, RBI, and BB than Ks COMBINED. He's not hitting for power, isn't drawing walks, and is striking out WAY too much. Compare this with Quintin Berry, the rookie that took his place: .295 BA, .392 OBP, 1 HR, 13 RBI, 17 BB, 38 K. He gets on base allowing Cabrera and Fielder to drive him home.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Cubs need to strike while the iron is hot right now. Garza is 4-7 4.23 ERA and if you can get a top notch prospect in a deal now you take it. They should have trade him sooner when his value was higher.

Go Cubs Go!

DistrictCyclone

He has already been relegated to DH because as bad as the Tigers' defense is, he is that much worse. The problem is is his offensive production is not really worthy of being a DH. His line so far this year is .269 BA, .296 OBP, 7 HR, 32 RBI, 9 BB, 58 K. Chew on that one for a moment - he has 10 fewer HR, RBI, and BB than Ks COMBINED. He's not hitting for power, isn't drawing walks, and is striking out WAY too much. Compare this with Quintin Berry, the rookie that took his place: .295 BA, .392 OBP, 1 HR, 13 RBI, 17 BB, 38 K. He gets on base allowing Cabrera and Fielder to drive him home.
    You're totally right about him being completely worthless defensively. He's always been a free swinger, but that's been pretty streaky, too. I just keep thinking about 2010, when he really seemed to have gotten his plate discipline in order, and (not coincidentally) had All-Star caliber numbers. It might take a long stint in AAA, but with the right hitting coach to reform his approach at the dish, he's got a lot of upside.

The other thing I always forget, too, is that he's still just 26; I really think the Rays made a huge mistake by brining him up so early. There's a lot of potential, but it will take some investment to extract it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Cubs need to strike while the iron is hot right now. Garza is 4-7 4.23 ERA and if you can get a top notch prospect in a deal now you take it. They should have trade him sooner when his value was higher.
    The Tigers do need another starter to go with Verlander and Smyly (one of Porcello, Scherzer, or Fister can sit - most likely Fister at this point - for how bad they've pitched this year) to round out the pitching. Most Tigers fans would take him - if the price is right of course.

You're totally right about him being completely worthless defensively. He's always been a free swinger, but that's been pretty streaky, too. I just keep thinking about 2010, when he really seemed to have gotten his plate discipline in order, and (not coincidentally) had All-Star caliber numbers. It might take a long stint in AAA, but with the right hitting coach to reform his approach at the dish, he's got a lot of upside.

The other thing I always forget, too, is that he's still just 26; I really think the Rays made a huge mistake by brining him up so early. There's a lot of potential, but it will take some investment to extract it.
    I hear what you're saying about him. I became a dedicated Tigers fan when I moved to the Detroit area a year ago tomorrow, before that I was a Twins fan, so I'm very familiar with Young. Delmon Young's offense was one of the major reasons why the Twins were as good as they were a couple of years back, and he was a major reason why the Tigers ran away with the Central last year after they acquired him. The problem is this year is the kind of year when fans get frustrated with him because his bad habits make him more of a liability than a help. If the guy would ever learn some discipline at the plate he could become a ~.300 hitter because what drives his average down now is making bad outs by swinging at bad pitches.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Be very interesting to see if the Tigers can get both barney and Garza in a deal. The Cubs aren't as likely to move Barney. Be interesting to see who blinks first if Det wants Barney and Garza and the Cubs would demand that any deal starts with Castellanos

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Amazing - I rip on Delmon Young and he hits home runs in four straight games. Just wish he would have been hitting like this all season long.

DistrictCyclone

Amazing - I rip on Delmon Young and he hits home runs in four straight games. Just wish he would have been hitting like this all season long.
    The more I think about it, the more I feel that DY isn't a good fit for the Tigers; even if he's hitting for power, the Tigers are probably better off having a high-OBP to slide in the 2-hole rather than another masher. You hinted at this in an earlier post, and you're totally right. They'd score a lot more runs with a guy who gets on base batting ahead of Fielder and Cabrera than they would having DY bat cleanup, for sure.

Outright cutting DY would be a huge mistake, though; he could have a lot of value at the deadline to a team in need of some power, or he could be enticing to a team in rebuild mode that's willing to do what it takes to get his plate discipline in line.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

It will be interesting to see what kind of deal Theo puts together. Number of good teams in play. Wonder which one has the most to offer for Garza.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The more I think about it, the more I feel that DY isn't a good fit for the Tigers; even if he's hitting for power, the Tigers are probably better off having a high-OBP to slide in the 2-hole rather than another masher. You hinted at this in an earlier post, and you're totally right. They'd score a lot more runs with a guy who gets on base batting ahead of Fielder and Cabrera than they would having DY bat cleanup, for sure.

Outright cutting DY would be a huge mistake, though; he could have a lot of value at the deadline to a team in need of some power, or he could be enticing to a team in rebuild mode that's willing to do what it takes to get his plate discipline in line.
    First, DY isn't hitting in the 2 spot, he's hitting in the 5. Second, us Tigers fans think they've already found their high-OBP player for the 2-hole - Quintin Berry. He simply finds ways to get on base. He at the very least is a better option than Rayburn, who while is starting to turn it on a little bit now that it's summertime, he was awful at the 2. This should be a telling stat - 11 of Prince Fielder's first 13 homers (or something like that) were solo shots. Part of that can be explained by Cabrera stealing RBIs from him, but part of that was the #2 guy getting himself and Austin Jackson caught in double plays, leaving the bases empty for when Fielder does come up. Third, which involves DY, is, at least until this weekend, there has been no guy hitting behind Prince Fielder forcing the pitcher to pitch to him with runners on base. In fact, there really isn't anyone in the second half of the lineup that in the first half of the season has done much of any consistent hitting. Which is why, while I would like to see the Tigers go after Garza, I'd really like to see them go after a 2B and a LF or RF (Berry can play opposite of whatever they get), both of which hit consistently, to improve the offense and improve the run support for the pitchers, who all for the most part have been pitching pretty well, especially lately.

DistrictCyclone

First, DY isn't hitting in the 2 spot, he's hitting in the 5. Second, us Tigers fans think they've already found their high-OBP player for the 2-hole - Quintin Berry. He simply finds ways to get on base. He at the very least is a better option than Rayburn, who while is starting to turn it on a little bit now that it's summertime, he was awful at the 2. This should be a telling stat - 11 of Prince Fielder's first 13 homers (or something like that) were solo shots. Part of that can be explained by Cabrera stealing RBIs from him, but part of that was the #2 guy getting himself and Austin Jackson caught in double plays, leaving the bases empty for when Fielder does come up. Third, which involves DY, is, at least until this weekend, there has been no guy hitting behind Prince Fielder forcing the pitcher to pitch to him with runners on base. In fact, there really isn't anyone in the second half of the lineup that in the first half of the season has done much of any consistent hitting. Which is why, while I would like to see the Tigers go after Garza, I'd really like to see them go after a 2B and a LF or RF (Berry can play opposite of whatever they get), both of which hit consistently, to improve the offense and improve the run support for the pitchers, who all for the most part have been pitching pretty well, especially lately.
    I know DY isn't a 2 hitter (I even said he's hitting behind Cabrera and Prince), but a roster spot is a roster spot and you can trade a 5 hitter for a 2 hitter. I haven't watched much of Berry, but I guess I'd be reluctant to settle on a 27-year old rookie with such a small sample size...especially when the backup option is so awful. Most farm systems are stocked with speedsters right now, and Detroit should easily be able to grab a good 2-hitter if they decided to trade DY. If DY can turn in a 2nd half like he did last year, the cleanup hitter will be very well protected and I'd hold pat if I were the Tigers (especially with the 3-5 hitters going R-L-R...wow). If he tanks, though, he's pretty replaceable, especially if Peralta can snap out of his funk.

Nice going pulling a couple games above .500 heading in the break, by the way. Maybe the Tigs will finally start living up to the hype in the 2nd half.