Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 92

newcomers who could make an impact?

out of the JUCOs and incoming freshmen, who has the best chance of seeing the field this year?

with the lack of depth at LB, look for one of the freshmen to see the field this year as a 2nd or 3rd stringer and special teams guy. adam pavlenko is my favorite of the group but i want him to redshirt. with his speed and tackling ability, i could see him dominating special teams. maybe darius white or kane seeley will play this year?

i imagine that cole netten will start at kicker

tj mutcherson? a redshirt season to "get back into the groove" would be nice, but he is already 20 years old. not sure if that matters or not

maybe one of the WRs will play to add some depth. personally, i like daley and think he has the most potential but seems like pj harris may be the one who is ready to play right away out of the group. wouldnt mind seeing quan west redshirt, bulk up and move to TE. if he could put on some weight and learn to block then he could be a stud with his receiving skills.

duaron williams... depends on how his injury has progressed, but if he is ready to go then he may even have a shot at winning hayworth hicks' starting spot

thoughts?

This is Ophion speaking.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 361

Re: newcomers who could make an impact?

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post

duaron williams... depends on how his injury has progressed, but if he is ready to go then he may even have a shot at winning hayworth hicks' starting spot

thoughts?
    I thought the last such thread hashed this out pretty well.

Personally, I was waiting on news from two-a-days before getting my hopes up any higher than Netten and the JC players.

Not sure how you get that Harris is the one of the group. He and Daley are both awfully slender. West, maybe. Various players may see time on special teams.

G'nite. Dead tired.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 29

I'm not going to count Netten, because I think that he's penciled in as a 4 year starter. As far as the JUCOs go, I could see Stokes and possibly Morrissey in the rotation, but probably not starting. Mutcherson I believe doesn't have a RS year available, but I think that he's a backup for now...similar to what Gary did his first year.

As far as FR, I think that they're going to want to get at least one LB playing special teams (similar to what they did with Knott, Klein, Miller) just to get them ready for next year. My guess is that that is Pavlenko. Other than that, I just don't see many FR taking off the redshirt. If I were forced to put a couple of names of guys that could be playing special teams this fall out there, it would probably be Charlie Rogers, Pierre Aka and Luke Knott.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I'm not going to count Netten, because I think that he's penciled in as a 4 year starter. As far as the JUCOs go, I could see Stokes and possibly Morrissey in the rotation, but probably not starting. Mutcherson I believe doesn't have a RS year available, but I think that he's a backup for now...similar to what Gary did his first year.

As far as FR, I think that they're going to want to get at least one LB playing special teams (similar to what they did with Knott, Klein, Miller) just to get them ready for next year. My guess is that that is Pavlenko. Other than that, I just don't see many FR taking off the redshirt. If I were forced to put a couple of names of guys that could be playing special teams this fall out there, it would probably be Charlie Rogers, Pierre Aka and Luke Knott.
    I think Chris W. and AA both said that they think Morrissey will be RS this year, but I could be wrong about that?

Unless someone really stands out, I'd like to RS everyone, but I'm sure that won't be the case. LB might be our best starting position group on the team, but it also might be the thinnest too, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Darius White or Pavlenko or Seeley see some action?

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 462
    Given: 215

Everyone but the kicker will likely RS. Maybe a linebacker might be needed for special teams. Even Mutcherson has five to play 4, no reason not to redshirt him if he can't start.

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 862

The transfer from Wyoming.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 126

Is there inside info on why people are so high on Pavlenko? Roster lists him at 5'10" 210 lbs, seems like they might want a little bit of time to add some size similar to J. George. White seems to have the most big 12 ready body of the incoming LBs at 6'1" 230 lbs (assuming that is "in shape weight") and he was a 4 year starter at Manatee.

I think they all RS but he seems like a more likely candidate to jump onto ST early.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Is there inside info on why people are so high on Pavlenko? Roster lists him at 5'10" 210 lbs, seems like they might want a little bit of time to add some size similar to J. George. White seems to have the most big 12 ready body of the incoming LBs at 6'1" 230 lbs (assuming that is "in shape weight") and he was a 4 year starter at Manatee.

I think they all RS but he seems like a more likely candidate to jump onto ST early.
    You are right, Pavlenko isn't physically ready quite yet either, but he looked the most impressive on video IMO. He's fearless... and a big hitter. I could see him contributing on special teams right away just based on his aggresiveness and desire. But yeah, he needs to build up some strength still.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    You are right, Pavlenko isn't physically ready quite yet either, but he looked the most impressive on video IMO. He's fearless... and a big hitter. I could see him contributing on special teams right away just based on his aggresiveness and desire. But yeah, he needs to build up some strength still.
    Thanks. I recall being impressed with his tackling skills on his highlight video, seemed like a downhill tackler, full speed at all times.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Yeah, I loved the aggressiveness I saw on film too. He'll be a special teams beast in his career I think with a chance to help out as an upperclassmen after he grows and develops. I think he'll wind up being a Matt Tau'fao type down the line, i.e. a short, tough MLB who is a spark plug and great run stopper.

I am also keeping my eye on is Darius White. I hope we keep him engaged and he doesn't get homesick because I think he has the chance to make a really nice core for the future with JeVohn Miller.

Cheers

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 135

I am sort of hoping and not hoping we see Sam Richardson take snaps. I want to see what he is capable of but at the same time if he is playing, we are having problems with SJ and JB thus resorting to SR.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 575
    Given: 1,179

I don't think any of the incoming players will be impact players. Note, I am not counting Netten because he will probably be starter by default and hopefully won't struggle too much.
    Some others may play out of necessity but none will have a huge impact. Unfortunately we don't recruit at the level where newcomers will make a huge impact. The best possibility would be Stokes since he is coming in from JuCo, but I don't think he will start but hopefully be a solid rotation guy in the secondary.

As for freshmen playing, I would be willing to bet that White and/or Pavlenko will play special teams and be on the LB depth charts. Unfortunate because it would be awesome to redshirt them both and have them for another year in their prime. However, we need them to have some idea of the full speed of D1 football before they are forced to play a bunch of minutes next year.

I think most of the other freshmen will redshirt, including the WRs. I don't think they will be ready physically or mentally to jump in this year.

I believe Morrisey will for sure take the redshirt year since he has it available and would still get to play 3 more years after that.

Also, we need an official ruling on Mutcherson. There are conflicting reports on whether or not he is 5 to play 4, or 4 to play 4. I was under the impression that because he's been out of HS he the RS year and is only 4 to play 4. He may sit out this next year to get acclimated to the college game, but he would be considered a Sophmore next year either way and not a RSFr.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Also, we need an official ruling on Mutcherson. There are conflicting reports on whether or not he is 5 to play 4, or 4 to play 4. I was under the impression that because he's been out of HS he the RS year and is only 4 to play 4. He may sit out this next year to get acclimated to the college game, but he would be considered a Sophmore next year either way and not a RSFr.
    Take this for what it is worth but I thought I recall Rhoads saying after signing day that Mutch was enrolled in school but was not taking enough credits to be considered full time and thus had not used eligibility last year.

I don't know the ins and outs of eligibility but seem to remember hearing that from Rhoads at some point.

Legend
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 575
    Given: 1,179

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Take this for what it is worth but I thought I recall Rhoads saying after signing day that Mutch was enrolled in school but was not taking enough credits to be considered full time and thus had not used eligibility last year.

I don't know the ins and outs of eligibility but seem to remember hearing that from Rhoads at some point.
    Hmm, that's interesting and would be awesome if that were the case. Basically a Grey Shirt transfer then huh. It would be great to get 5 years out of Mutcherson because the staff seems to really like his athleticism. After a RS year to learn the D, he could be challenging for a starting safety spot.

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 109

The more redshirts, the better. Develop, develop, develop.