Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2 Complaints - yards per carry and coaching

The 2 biggest complaints I have from last night is our running game and Mac's coaching. The defense obviously struggled but they are young and will get better. Basically, 8 new starters is a lot to work through. I was impressed with Tuba. I expected big and fat but he moved very well. I do think we will struggle with a consistent pass rush the rest of the season but there is talent and speed all over the place. I think the special teams will come along as well. I like the resume of the new special teams coach. Again, new players in game situations take some time.

What worries me is our rushing attack. I though Meyer ran extremely well. It reminded me of the Miami of Ohio game. I think Hicks ran hard and had some nice runs. My problem is that they both averaged 3.9 yards per carry. I tend to evaluate our rushing effectiveness by this stat. Less than 4 ypc in college is not good. Meyer gets hurt by sack yardage so his is understandable but in college your top back should average 5+ ypc. Last year, Hicks averaged 3.66. KSU's top back averaged 4.65 and KU's 5.82. Perhaps the problem with Hicks is that he never gets the 30+ yard runs. Until we can get a combination O-line and running back that can average over 5 ypc our offense will struggle especially with Mac's conservative nature.

My other complaint is Mac's coaching. Last season, we lost 3 OT games where we had second half leads. Mac acknowledged this problem and I would hope has made some changes. So what happens in our first game of 06, we blow a second half lead to see the game go to overtime. At least this year we won. Why, because Mac was aggressive in OT and went to Blythe (only after being coached by Blythe). My problem is why wait until OT? Why not go for the knockout punch in the second half with the passing attack? First play after the fumble, we should have gone deep to Blythe and finished the game off. I do not understand how we can forget that Todd Blythe is on our team. It reminded me of the KU game last year. I think it is a sad reflection of the coaching staff when a player has to tell them basically get me the ball and we win. They do what he says and we win. I just get frustrated seeing the same patterns game after game and year after year.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I agree, we have one of the best weapons in all NCAA in Blythe, and we should use it to our advantage, full advantage.

The least we can do is use him as a decoy, send him deep a lot to spread the defense, a la Randy Moss.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    My problem is why wait until OT? Why not go for the knockout punch in the second half with the passing attack? First play after the fumble, we should have gone deep to Blythe and finished the game off.

In OT he had 1-on-1 coverage on the outside. Most of the game, he was better covered than that, that is why he didn't get the ball 60 times.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    My only big problem with the coaching was the drive that ended with the missed field goal in the second half. That was the drive were we should have tried to go for the knock out punch and not be happy with a field goal. Good teams don't use their big weapon all the time and don't push on the accelerator all the time, they pick their spots.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11
    We don't have one weapon in Blythe. We have 7 weapons in Blythe, Flynn, Davis, Sumrall, Meyer, Hicks, and Berkema. We used all of them.

How long do you think it's going to work if we throw to Blythe every 5th play?

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23
    Jesus...you think Mac's play-calling (by the way...HE DOESN'T CALL THE PLAYS...that's what the offensive coordinator does!!!) is vanilla/plain/conservative/etc but with what everyone else's "Just throw it to Blythe" gameplan, that would be even easier to read...

This isn't NCAA 2007 where you can throw it up to TB every play...

How come I don't hear the Mac bashers giving him credit for opening up the playbook in the overtimes???

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, but when Blythe has 3 catches in the first quarter,but doesn't touch it again til overtime? All Gary was saying is throw it to him a couple more times, not every 5 plays. Hell, even take some chances by throwing it up there every once in a while and see what happens. Let your studs win the game for you.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Jesus...you think Mac's play-calling (by the way...HE DOESN'T CALL THE PLAYS...that's what the offensive coordinator does!!!) is vanilla/plain/conservative/etc but with what everyone else's "Just throw it to Blythe" gameplan, that would be even easier to read...

How come I don't hear the Mac bashers giving him credit for opening up the playbook in the overtimes???
    MAC may not call the plays, but this is the style of football he coaches. ISU has been a conservaitve team once they get up on a team since the mid 90's. A painful example is in 1998 when we are up on KSU 28-7 at the half only to watch a vanilla ISU offense and team loose 35-28 at home.

This is the way D MAC coaches his teams-no he doesn't call the plays, but this is the M.O. of his teams since he came to Ames-I frustrates me, but I've learned to accept it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    What worries me is our rushing attack. I though Meyer ran extremely well. It reminded me of the Miami of Ohio game. I think Hicks ran hard and had some nice runs. My problem is that they both averaged 3.9 yards per carry. I tend to evaluate our rushing effectiveness by this stat. Less than 4 ypc in college is not good. Meyer gets hurt by sack yardage so his is understandable but in college your top back should average 5+ ypc. Last year, Hicks averaged 3.66. KSU's top back averaged 4.65 and KU's 5.82. Perhaps the problem with Hicks is that he never gets the 30+ yard runs. Until we can get a combination O-line and running back that can average over 5 ypc our offense will struggle especially with Mac's conservative nature.
    Great post

Some additonal perspective....Our 3.9 team average was would place us 6th in the Big 12 and second in the North (behind MU who likely won't repeat that as Brad Smith drove their number) Last year we averaged 2.9 yards per carry as a team.

I am not as worried as you on this one I saw better blocking last night than I can remember for a long time in JTS. I am much less worried about the running game than I was before last night.

I share your concern for Mac & Barney's proclivity to stop using our best players and trusting them to win the game. I was frustrated by this in the second half and if Meyer was a freshman or less reliable I would think its the right call, but not with the consistent play Brett gives you and the talent on wide receivers.

While I think our defense will be fine when all is said and done, if I am wrong, we won't have to worry about them getting conservative cause they will have to be aggressive all game long. (perhaps they will get used to it and learn to enjoy it)....

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    btw...anyone remember what current Big 12 coach used to have the same rap for getting conservative that Mac has?

Recruit
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I think we need to remember that McC came from Wisc under Barry Alvarez, where running the ball was extremely important. Those running plays keep the clock rolling, which will tick off 30 to 40 seconds per play. I think everyone is correct is saying that we have a great passing game and awesome weapons, but 1 or 2 incompletions in a series, and you lose a minute of possession time. And this year especially, the possession time is very important. With a young but talented defense, we need the experienced offense on the field eating up the clock. The offense is our biggest asset and we need to keep the clock running to make every second count. That is how we will beat Iowa and NE and anybody else by controlling the clock and limiting the opposing offense from being able to take any advantage over a young defense.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    More on YPC...Last year RB's with at least 90 carries from Big 12. While I think we will be fine based on what I saw last night...Stevies numbers need to go up from 3.9 to even reach middle of pack.
    Name

Jamaal Charles

Courtney Lewis

Taurean Henderson

Jon Cornish

Adrian Peterson

Mike Hamilton

Jorvorskie Lane

Brandon Whitaker

Selvin Young

Marcus Woods

Thomas Clayton

Hugh Charles

Clark Green

Cory Ross

Stevie Hicks

Paul Mosley

Greg Coleman

Last edited by JCloned; 09-01-2006 at 04:11 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    For QB's Meyer was near bottom for QB's with at least 50 rushes (dragged down by 39 sacks of course) with 0.9. His 3.9 last night would rank him 4th after McNeal, Young & Smith....but still well below them. Personally I am happier with fewer Meyer runs... and more arm...

Name
    Reggie McNeal
    Vince Young
    Brad Smith
    Allen Webb
    Bobby Reid
    Allan Evridge
    Rhett Bomar
    Cody Hodges
    Bret Meyer
    Joel Klatt
    Zac Taylor

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by justincl View Post
    I think we need to remember that McC came from Wisc under Barry Alvarez, where running the ball was extremely important. Those running plays keep the clock rolling, which will tick off 30 to 40 seconds per play. I think everyone is correct is saying that we have a great passing game and awesome weapons, but 1 or 2 incompletions in a series, and you lose a minute of possession time. And this year especially, the possession time is very important. With a young but talented defense, we need the experienced offense on the field eating up the clock. The offense is our biggest asset and we need to keep the clock running to make every second count. That is how we will beat Iowa and NE and anybody else by controlling the clock and limiting the opposing offense from being able to take any advantage over a young defense.

Finally, someone with some FB IQ!! Rep for you!

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

But, oh, wouldn't it be fun if it was?

"Meyer to Blythe...TOUCHDOWN!" Music to my ears.:Headset: