Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 3

Rome and Valencia

Hey all. My wife and I are flying out on the 3rd to Rome for 4 days and Valencia for 4 days. Any advice on places/things to make sure we do while there from your previous visits? Any other random tidbits that will be helpful to us? It's our first time overseas so all the traveling, money/language change, etc. will be new to us. Thanks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 9

Re: Rome and Valencia

Vatican and the Colliseum are must in my opinion. Get to the Vatican as early as possible. There will be a huge line, it moves quick and is well worth the weight. Haven't been to Valencia.

Provided you are in just those cities language won't be a problem. Have yet to be in a city in Europe where English wan't prevalent.

Keep your wallet as thin as possible, also keep it and money in your front hip pocket, if the Mrs. Has a long strap on her purse keep it across her body, not try to freak you out but these kinds of things help you from becoming an easy mark. Also wouldn't pack any jewelry I could wear all at once. Once again better safe then sorry.

Other than that have fun. I love traveling abroad, love the different cultures and everything that goes with it.

Last edited by boone7247; 07-01-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Prospect
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Assuming you mean Valencia, Spain, I lived there for a semester last year, so maybe I'm a little biased, but it's an incredible city. If you're into beaches, they have some of the best there; though, I'd wager you'll have to try hard to find one not overflowing with tourists right now. You should definitely get out to the CAC (Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias), the new museum/aquarium complex with just absolutely spectacular architecture. Even if you don't want to do the museum/imax/aquarium thing, just walking around the complex and enjoying the architecture is a must. The best part about Valencia, however, is the old city. Plaza de la Reina is my personal favorite area - the famous cathedral and tower are there and there are great restaurants, vendors, bars, etc. As far as just pure sightseeing, get out to see los Torres de Serranos, one of the old gates to Medieval Valencia, and one of two left standing. The old city in Valencia is really just a great place to walk around. Make sure to get some Valencian horchata and eat paella (Valencia is the birthplace of paella, and still nobody does it as well as they do). If you're into it (I personally am not), Valencia has a pretty impressive bull ring for bull fights. If you or your wife wants to shop, Calle Colon has some (apparently) really good shopping. Valencia also has quite the nightlife - huge amount of good clubs and bars. Also, take a walk in the river; it's a dried out river that now serves as a park - it's a great place to walk and enjoy the weather. Lastly, if you feel like getting out of the city, there are couple places to explore just north in Sagunto and Peniscola, with Roman ruins and a Medieval castle, respectively.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 6

Regarding Valencia, the Lladro factory is there and has an outlet store that sells seconds. I, too, can vouch for the old city but if you like fine dining, be prepared to eat your evening meal very late.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    Vatican and the Colliseum are must in my opinion. Get to the Vatican as early as possible. There will be a huge line, it moves quick and is well worth the weight. Haven't been to Valencia.

Provided you are in just those cities language won't be a problem. Have yet to be in a city in Europe where English wan't prevalent.

Keep your wallet as thin as possible, also keep it and money in your front hip pocket, if the Mrs. Has a long strap on her purse keep it across her body, not try to freak you out but these kinds of things help you from becoming an easy mark. Also wouldn't pack any jewelry I could wear all at once. Once again better safe then sorry.

Other than that have fun. I love traveling abroad, love the different cultures and everything that goes with it.
    Don't be afraid of a long line at St. Peter's...it moves very quick. Ignore folks trying to sell you front of line passes...unsurprisingly, a scam...had a couple of austrailians try and do this to me.

If you go to St. Peters, find the way to the basement where the columns of the old st peters can be seen. There is a special tour of St. Peter's crypt, but I don't know how regularly.

make sure to go to the pantheon when you are in colosium area.

Don't eat around the tourist sites...the food is uniformly poor.

My brother took us to the circus maximus...a weedy pit the size of Jack Trice. Avoid this.

Plenty of ancient churches about...many from the the 4th and 5th centuries.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

Rome was a blast and you can't really go wrong just wandering around the old city. Tip for the Colosseum, buy your ticket at the Palatine Hill, it includes both sites and there is rarely a line.

The Forum is cool, but I recommend either taking a tour or printing out some info first as it will appear to be just a large pile of ruins, and you'll miss out on all kinds of history. Caesar's supposed funeral site is there too, which you can easily spot because the locals leave flowers.

If you're going to the Pantheon, don't miss out on the Trevi Fountain which is right outside.

Vatican is definitely worth the wait, but dedicate at least a half day for that. Sistine Chapel is a bit spoiled by the hordes of tourists and the pushy guards, but just hanging out in St Peter's square is very inspiring, even if you are not the religious type.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

thanks for the suggestions. we'll definitelyhit up some of your suggestions.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 327

You may also want to check out the catacombs while you are there. There are different ones available. Kind of a nice cool (dank underground) on a hot day. :)

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 103

Been to Rome for multiple days on two occasions, it is by far my favorite city in Europe. Not real clean and pretty but real.

All the main sites that people mention are great. The first thing I would do is tke one of those touristy double decker buses. Yes it's cheesy but it will give a good idea of the layout. Cabs are alo inexpenve in Rome.

For food go here

Da Baffetto, Rome
    via del Governo Vecchio, 114, Rome 00186

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleU View Post
    Assuming you mean Valencia, Spain, I lived there for a semester last year, so maybe I'm a little biased, but it's an incredible city. If you're into beaches, they have some of the best there; though, I'd wager you'll have to try hard to find one not overflowing with tourists right now. You should definitely get out to the CAC (Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias), the new museum/aquarium complex with just absolutely spectacular architecture. Even if you don't want to do the museum/imax/aquarium thing, just walking around the complex and enjoying the architecture is a must. The best part about Valencia, however, is the old city. Plaza de la Reina is my personal favorite area - the famous cathedral and tower are there and there are great restaurants, vendors, bars, etc. As far as just pure sightseeing, get out to see los Torres de Serranos, one of the old gates to Medieval Valencia, and one of two left standing. The old city in Valencia is really just a great place to walk around. Make sure to get some Valencian horchata and eat paella (Valencia is the birthplace of paella, and still nobody does it as well as they do). If you're into it (I personally am not), Valencia has a pretty impressive bull ring for bull fights. If you or your wife wants to shop, Calle Colon has some (apparently) really good shopping. Valencia also has quite the nightlife - huge amount of good clubs and bars. Also, take a walk in the river; it's a dried out river that now serves as a park - it's a great place to walk and enjoy the weather. Lastly, if you feel like getting out of the city, there are couple places to explore just north in Sagunto and Peniscola, with Roman ruins and a Medieval castle, respectively.
    This is a great post. I think The Lladro factory is the only thing I could think of that you are missing.

Also if you go to the beach bring plenty of sun block because I think the sun is stronger in this area and it is really hard to find higher SPF sun block in Valencia.
    I did go to a bull fight and I did find it very interesting. You have to think about it like a sport with a lot of tradition. I went to one where the guys were just starting out so they weren't very polished ie slower death for the bull which does make it harder to watch. I did see one good kill where the bull was instantly killed.

Also be prepared for shops to close for siesta because it does get pretty dead. This is an excellent time to take a nap or chill out in the park.

Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,598
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

I agree with the others on Rome. The Colliseum is a must. Catch a tour for that and the Forum or you'll miss out on a lot of cool facts. If you can be around the Forum at night (the big building above it), it's all lit up and you can see the Colliseum in the background. It's like you're looking at a postcard. St. Peters and the Sistine Chapel are crowded, but worth it. Awe inspiring. I've always loved the Trevi Fountain too. Actually, if you just wander around Rome a little, you're bound to run into some cool old church to explore or fountain to sit by. Can't beat the gelatto either.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleU View Post
    You hit all the main points, I'm there right now and I would agree with all of it. The great thing imo is that Valencia is less of a tourist flooded city like Rome and Barcelona and Madrid are, so you get more of an authentic Spanish feel to it. I would also recommend visiting the Bioparc, it is more or less a zoo on the northwest part of town that really has a lot to see. The area by the Ciudad de las Artes y Ciencias is very cool as you said, some very impressive architecture.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

in rome, eat cacio and pepe, avoid restaurants that have an english menu on the outside. buy some nice clothes.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

any odd little customs or manners in either place that would be good to know about to either appreciate or just avoid offending the locals?

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 986
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

Dont forget to call your credit card or bank atm, to tell them you'll be in europe. If not, they might shut them off, thinking they were stolen.

You can't go wrong in Rome, hit the must see attractions. Eat and drink what and where the locals do.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy