Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

brian kelley

not trying to stir the pot, just thought it interesting. the last 2 days on my way to work, his name has been mentioned on rivals radio for the head coaching positions of nebraska and michigan. surprises me a little that after 3/4 of a season with cincy he is already being mentioned to take over these big time programs. i still think we made the right move, i hope in 3 years i feel the same way.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,407
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 41

Re: brian kelley

I don't think a lot of ISU fans have a real grip on how bad the Cyclones talent level is. It is sad, maybe scary, but Cinn. just plain has better players than ISU, particularly in the OL and DL. I think things are getting better, but it will take time.

I also think that Kelly would have been a better quick fix at ISU because he would have brought in an established coaching staff, which has to help a lot in terms of assigning duties and working with people you are use to working with.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

First of all, some of the hype about certain coaches for certain jobs is fed to the media by the agent for those particular coaches...Jimmy Sexton (agent for Saban, Tuberville, and others) is notorious for this. They do it to create a kind of "fabricated demand" to try to strengthen their negotiating position and possibly renegotiate a better deal

Secondly, to try and compare the situation Kelly inherited at Cincinnati to what Chizik inherited at ISU is like comparing apples and oranges (to put it mildly). The Cincinnati coach was leaving to get a better job...the Michigan St. gig...because he had done a good job with the Cincinnati program. Our ex-coach was only able to land a defensive line job through calling in a favor from an old acquaintance in Leavitt because he had not done a good job with the ISU program. Additionally, Kelly was one of the last benefactors of a crazy rule (which has been changed) that allowed a kid that had graduated to transfer and play an additional year at another school without sitting out...this is how he got the kid he has playing QB from Wake Forest. This has been a huge factor for them since this kid was both talented and familiar with the offensive scheme Kelly runs.

Thirdly, I do believe that offensive oriented coaches (like Kelly) can come in and have a bigger immediate impact than defensive oriented coaches (like Chizik) but building through defense is the better long term way to build a successful program. In fact, just look at Cincinnati this year...they started out hot but as the season has progressed they have become vulnerable as their opponents are able to get "a book" on what they are trying to do offensively. They have lost two in a row and the last one was to a lousy Pitt team.

Bottom line is that Chizik was and continues to be the right choice in my opinion.

Last edited by cyclonenum1; 10-31-2007 at 10:44 AM.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 524
    Given: 366

^^^^^
    Dude, you've been around long enough - it's Chizik, not Chizek.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 311

The truth is we don't and won't ever know who was the better choice to take over the ISU program in the fall of 2006. Brian Kelly will never have the opportunity to take over ISU in the same situation Chizik was given. So we don't and won't really ever know who was the better decision. We have Chizik and we hope he builds this program to the point where other schools really, really want to hire Chizik away from us! We have no idea if that will ever happen though...we just hope!

Both coaches have many positive attributes. There is no reason to rip or put-down Kelly because he was not selected by JP. On the other hand...we really don't have strong evidence right now to show that Chizik was the correct selection. Again, just hope!

There are a lot of strong coaches out there...Coach Chizik seems to have the make-up that makes one a strong coach! Lets get behind him and support his program! And hope that soon we will look back at the fall of 2007 and see it as our first step toward what became a proud football program.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    not trying to stir the pot, just thought it interesting. the last 2 days on my way to work, his name has been mentioned on rivals radio for the head coaching positions of nebraska and michigan. surprises me a little that after 3/4 of a season with cincy he is already being mentioned to take over these big time programs. i still think we made the right move, i hope in 3 years i feel the same way.
    It does not surprise me...

Brian Kelly is that good of coach, however, he would not have had as good of a season here as he is having at Cincy, Dantonnio had the shelves stocked at Cincy to make a run this year, but he left for MSU and Kelly was hired. If Dantonnio would have been at Cincy this year....he would be the hot coach everyone would be talking about. Kelly is from Michigan and coached at CMU before taking the Cincy job. He has recruiting ties in both Michigan and Ohio which is good for Michigan. I think if Les Mile does not want that job MU wil hire Kelly. NU will take a hard look at him, and they should, but I think Osborne will look for a "Nebraska Guy" for that job or someone very "high profile." And given the talent, facilities, and athletic budget at NU they can pull someone "high profile." Unfortunately, NU will be like ASU, Koetter and Callahan are both Morons and had the talent to win. Someone will come into NU next year and will win....IF Osborne can get the right guy in there.

Now with that said, this is two different subjects, I rather have Chizik. We have the right guy, and even if Kelly would have come, he would not have stayed. I think there is a chance Chiz will stay even after he gets things turned around. He is a family guy and Ames is a great community. He hung around as an assistant, for 20-years, until he found a job he felt right about. The fans have showed up to the games even though we are 1 - 8. You tell me what 1 - 8 team anywhere would get this type of fan support? He knows when he gets things turned around the "roof is going to blow off this fan base" and as Mac Brown told him...."You win at Texas, people expect it, you win at ISU they will probably give you the keys to the Governor’s Mansion."

Last edited by RedStorm; 10-31-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    ^^^^^
    Dude, you've been around long enough - it's Chizik, not Chizek.
    My first mistake of the year...thanks for pointing it out! Hey, while you are playing the spelling police, maybe you can point out that it is Kelly, not Kelley as well!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As RedStorm pointed out...the Cinci and ISU jobs were open for different reasons! The former Cinci coach got a "promotion" for doing a solid job at Cinci. The ISU job was open because...well...we all know why the ISU job was open. Therefore the foundation was already built for Kelly (nothing wrong with that, not a reason to diminish what Kelly has done). The situation Chizik found himself in is very different that what is happening at Cinci.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RedStorm View Post
    It does not surprise me...

Brian Kelly is that good of coach, however, he would not have had as good of a season here as he is having at Cincy, Dantonnio had the shelves stocked at Cincy to make a run this year. But he left for MSU and Kelly was hired. If Dantonnio would have been at Cincy this year....he would be the hot coach everyone would be talking about. Kelly is from Michigan and coached at CMU before taking the Cincy job. He has recruiting ties in both Michigan and Ohio. NU will take a hard look at him, and they should, but I think Osborne will look for a "Nebraska Guy" for that job or someone very "high profile." And given the talent, facilities, and athletic budget at NU they can pull someone "high profile." Unfortunately, NU will be like ASU, Koetter and Callahan are both Morons and had the talent to win. Someone will come into NU next year and will win....IF Osborne can get the right guy in there.

Now with that said, this is two different subjects, I rather have Chizik. We have the right guy, and even if Kelly would have come, he would not have stayed. I think there is a chance Chiz will stay even after he gets things turned around. He is a family guy and Ames is a great community. He hung around as an assistant, for 20-years, until he found a job he felt right about. The fans have showed up to the games even though we are 1 - 8. You tell me what 1 - 8 team anywhere would get this type of fan support? He knows when he gets things turned around the "roof is going to blow off this fan base" and as Mac Brown told him...."You win at Texas, people expect it, you win at ISU they will probably give you the keys to the Governorís Mansion."

Why is this so important to you (and so many others)? Frankly, I am not evaluating coaches by "who will stick around"...that, in my opinion, is a ridiculous way to evaluate the coach and part of the reason we stuck with our prior coach for too long.

I will be evaluating Chizik on his W/L performance and the direction he is taking the program. We didn't marry the guy...he is our FB coach. The typical tenure for a FB coach (good, bad, or otherwise) is 5-10 years.

I want Chizik to have great success at ISU. If he decides to stay...great. If he has great success and leaves to further his career then that is fine with me as well because I got what I wanted...SUCCESSFUL ISU FOOTBALL!!

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Let's assume it's 10 years later and we can say that both Gene Chizik and Brian Kelly would have had the exact same success at ISU if either had been hired.

On that assumption, Gene Chizik was the right guy to hire at the right time. When Pollard fired McCarney, he knew he had to bring in someone who would unite the fan base as it got pretty divided. Anyone remember some of the fierce debate about Dan McCarney's firing? I'd say Cyclone Nation was split 50/50. For Jamie Pollard, that is not a good split. After Chizik's hiring, that almost all went mute. If you hire Brian Kelly, that doesn't happen.

Having said all that, I think Chizik is miles ahead the better man for the job than Kelly. I still think there was a reason Kelly was buried down in Division II football for 13 years.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    If you hire Brian Kelly, that doesn't happen.
    How do you know that hiring Brian Kelly wouldn't have been supported? (not trying to be a smarta$$) I think many would have felt relieved that the entire dismissal/hiring process was finally over and supported JP's selection.

See EIU's situation with Alford. You can not tell me that the fanbase would be happy with selection of TL at the beginning of the hiring process...but the relief of being able to move forward united them.

That might not be a great example because DMac was loved at ISU much more than Alford was at EIU.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

i guess i wasn't trying to say that maybe we should have hired kelly. if my original post implied that, i apologize. it's just weird circumstances that we were said to have hired the guy but didn't, now less then 1 year later his name is being mentioned for a couple of huge programs.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i guess i wasn't trying to say that maybe we should have hired kelly. if my original post implied that, i apologize. it's just weird circumstances that we were said to have hired the guy but didn't, now less then 1 year later his name is being mentioned for a couple of huge programs.
    I agree in that I find that interesting as well. The simple fact is that Kelly seems like he is a good coach. Regardless of which jobs he has or is interested in.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    Why is this so important to you (and so many others)? Frankly, I am not evaluating coaches by "who will stick around"...that, in my opinion, is a ridiculous way to evaluate the coach and part of the reason we stuck with our prior coach for too long.

I will be evaluating Chizik on his W/L performance and the direction he is taking the program. We didn't marry the guy...he is our FB coach. The typical tenure for a FB coach (good, bad, or otherwise) is 5-10 years.

I want Chizik to have great success at ISU. If he decides to stay...great. If he has great success and leaves to further his career then that is fine with me as well because I got what I wanted...SUCCESSFUL ISU FOOTBALL!!

Because we I am not evaluating his performance on that factor alone....you cherry picked a quote, which is fine...good for you, but if I have a choice between a good coach using us as a stepping stone and one that might stay....I want the guy that will/might stay. It is not a determining factor, but what if we would have hired Kelly and he would have left after this year and went to Michigan (Just an example)? If Chiz stays 5 or 10 years I will be ecstatic.

There were 2 parts to that quote 1)...When he turns things around, there is your success portions and 2)....There is a better chance he will stay after he reaches a certain point. Yes, I think continuity is important....and a chance at keeping a good coach here is important. And obviously it is important to JP because he has siad it over and over again about the coaches he has hired. He wants guys that want to be here and as a fan so do I. Not some guy that just wants to use us a "stepping Stone."

One reason I wish Mac would have been successful is ...He wanted to be here...but he could not parlay that into wins. And that mindset was not the only reason he was still here. Part of it was we had a weak AD that let Mac run the Dept. That all changed as soon as we got a strong leader in. Also, you state it was "part" of the reason Mac was still here....not all, but you try to point out that, that is the whole criteria I am using to evaluate Chiz. You are correct in saying the number one factor is wins and losses. But when making an investment like GG and JP did in Chiz....you are going to factor in "staying power" and "are we going to have a chance to keep him when he turns things around."

"Why is this so important to you (and so many others)? Frankly, I am not evaluating coaches by "who will stick around"...that, in my opinion, is a ridiculous way to evaluate the coach and part of the reason we stuck with our prior coach for too long. "

I think it is ridiculous that you would not factor this in, amongst a laundry list of other things, when evaluating a coach....

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I knew what you meant....

I was just trying to respond to your post and not sound like I thought we should have hired Kelly. I think we have the right guy for ISU....