Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 168

Things to do in Nashville

I'm going to be heading to Nashville in about month. For those that live there or have visited, what places would you recommend seeing? What are the go-to restaurants?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 440

Re: Things to do in Nashville

It'd been a while since I've been to Nashville but I liked the hard rock cafe.

KFitzy87

In before country music gets brought up

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 3

Bitchez

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 23

its always fun to go to nashville and play dodge the hordes of homeless

I AM SO FOOTBALL TO BE YOUR PROUD COACH

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 75

The one restaurant I would absolutely recommend is Monell's just north of downtown (Germantown). I've eaten there several times and the food has been fantastic each time. The first time was with the ISU wbb team for the Thanksgiving tournament at Vanderbilt. They were kind enough to open on Turkey Day for everyone traveling with the program, including fans. It's southern-style cooking, everything made from scratch, served family-style. There isn't a menu, but what happens is you're seated at large tables with other people who arrive at the same time as you. Then the food starts to show up and they bring more and more and more of it. People pass the food around just like a big family Sunday dinner. They typically will offer fried chicken, barbeque ribs, fried catfish, pot roast, etc., depending on the day (usually three or four main choices each day). Then there are all the side dishes and dessert plates. Their weekend breakfasts are pretty incredible also. The peach preserves are a must try (also an item they sell in a jar).

Monells Restaurant – Weddings, Receptions, Dining and More |

Last year, I went with a friend to the CMA Awards and while visiting, we went to the Blue Bird Cafe, which serves as a songwriters showcase. The food is just ok, but you are seated literally a few feet away from the people who write the songs you hear on the radio. Some writers are brand new to Nashville, but some are also decades-long veterans. They perform acoustically in the center of the room and take turns talking about their songs and stories. I thought the experience was a genuine taste of Nashville. So if the idea of songwriting interests you, this would be a fun stop. They do take reservations, which I would recommend.

The Bluebird Cafe | Nashville, TN

If you are an actual fan of country music, definitely go to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Tons of memorabilia from decades ago to the most recent popular artists. They have a bunch of video and audio stations, plus an audio self-guided tour available, or you can just walk through on your own.

Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum | Nashville, TN Country Music Hall of Fame

There are tours of the old Ryman Auditorium and the current home of the Grand Ole Opry, and the usual country music tourist stops. There is also a replica of the Parthenon west of downtown. Nashville is known as the "Athens of the South" for some reason. It's interesting for a quick visit. I'll admit my curiosity got the best of me during my first visit down there, so I had to check it out.

Nashville.gov - Parks and Recreation, Parthenon

A couple of other ideas of things we did last time: a tour of Fontanel Mansion, northwest of town. The 27,000 square foot log cabin was built for country music legend Barbara Mandrell and her family in the late 1980s. It is now operated by a management company (who represent people like Big & Rich and Gretchen Wilson) and rented out for parties, proms, and was used for the VH1 reality show "Gone Country" a few years ago. The house is magnificent and the tour was reasonably priced. There is also a restaurant (with pretty good food) where the tour starts and gift shop.

Home | Fontanel Mansion

We also drove to Lynchburg to see the Jack Daniels distillery. They have a fun tour that covers their whole property and you get to see the history of their operation as well as see the process of making their Whiskey. It's not exactly in the neighborhood, but it was a nice drive through pretty country to get there.

Verify Age | Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey (click "visit us" after you get past the age verification page)

If you don't do anything else mentioned, go to Monell's! Totally worth it!!

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 168

Monells looks pretty good so I'll definitely check that out. It looks like there are a couple of battlefields southeast of Nashville so I'll probably check those out on the way to Jack Daniels. Thanks Buster for your input.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    hahaha are you serious? Why would you want to pick a chain when you can try to find a local favorite?

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by ISU42 View Post
    Monells looks pretty good so I'll definitely check that out. It looks like there are a couple of battlefields southeast of Nashville so I'll probably check those out on the way to Jack Daniels. Thanks Buster for your input.
    You're welcome! Also, when you first get to town, ask some locals where you are staying about recommendations for places to eat. We found more than once that Nashvillians tend to not care what you've seen while visiting, but where you've eaten. Typically, you'll get a whole bunch of people who will happily tell you their favorite spot. A good dining group at Monell's can have long conversation about the next restaurant you need to check out as well.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 13

Loveless Cafe for breakfast. Bit of a drive but it's worth it. Combine with your trip to Franklin for the battlefields.

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

Last edited by nfrine; 06-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 872
    Given: 619

Two chicks at the same time?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

My choices, just a bit away from the normal touristy stops:
    Bluebird
    3 Crow Bar
    The Family Wash

Legend
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,337
    Given: 1,286

Was in Nashville in early May - we tried Monell's as well. Probably not really my style of food, but my husband loved it.
    We also tried the Pancake Pantry, which was pretty good as well. Just don't go on a weekend! There was a line out the door at 9:30am on a Thursday morning!

Husband and I are pretty big into history/Civil War, so we checked out a couple mansions in the area. Belle Meade is an antebellum era horse farm that was neat to visit. We also visited the Hermitage House which was Andrew Jackson's plantation (and burial site). Both have gone through a lot of work to bring back original furnishings and such to the plantations.

We stayed at the Hermitage Hotel and walked from there to Monell's straight through the Capitol and Bicentennial Mall - we both loved this area. It has great views and just some really neat different things going on - including a wall of history documenting the history of Tennessee. Only problem was on the way back, I had had waaaaaaaay too much of Monell's delicious lemonade and had to sprint through the last 50 years and James Polk's burial site, haha!

Oh, and if you don't stay at the Hermitage (insanely expensive but beautiful!) go inside and check it out, it's gorgeous!

There is also all the requisite country music stuff. I'm actually a big fan but we didn't spend much time to check it out - walked down Broadway, took pictures at the Opry and Reiman, but didn't visit the Hall of Fame. Sounds like a lot of people really liked it though.

I don't know how long you are planning to be in Nashville, but since you mentioned visiting battlefields - Chattanooga is about two hours away. We went there as well and visited Lookout Mountain and Chickimauga & Chattanooga Military Park. Very, very, moving experience. They've tried to let the land go back to its state during the war and it just makes those dry history book stories feel very real.

You can always check reviews on Trip Advisor too - that's how we found half the places we went to.

Sorry for the novel but I know how badly I was looking for info a couple months ago too!

Last edited by cowgirl836; 07-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,083
    Given: 227

If I might paraphrase Dave Attell. I was in Nashville, Tennessee. You ever been there? Ya? You know what’s a fun thing to do there? Pack up and get the **** outa there. It’s boring.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 363

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I went on a school band trip through Nashville/Memphis/St. Louis in high school and the travel group we went through had us eating almost all of our meals at Hard Rock Cafes. If I ever eat at one again it will be too soon. Are Hard Rock t-shirts even a thing anymore? Can't remember the last time I saw somebody wearing one.