Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Sharpton is Criticizing Cheney For Latest Hunting Exc.

For the real hard hitting news of the day Reverand Sharpton is calling out Dick Cheney in regards to his latest hunting trip.

A New York Daily News photographer snapped a picture of a Confederate flag hanging inside a garage on the hunt club property. The photo was shown to New York City civil rights activist the Rev. Al Sharpton, who issued a statement demanding that the vice president "leave immediately, denounce the club and apologize for going to a club that represents lynching, hate and murder to black people."

Link: Cheneys Staff Says He Never Saw Confederate Flag - City Room - Metro - New York Times Blog

Last edited by alaskaguy; 10-31-2007 at 01:42 AM.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Sharpton is Criticizing Cheney For Latest Hunting Exc.

I think it is shameful that we allow hate-mongers like Sharpton to turn a valid, historical symbol like the Confederate Flag into the boogie-man.

Racist thugs like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson need to actually get a job and work for a living. Someone tell me again how they live in luxury and pay no taxes? Al Capone, anyone???

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,294
    Given: 635

It's all very much revisionist history. The Civil War (War for Southern Independence) was more about states rights vs. centralized power in the federal government. Slavery was one of the tipping points in the decision to secede, but by no means the whole point, for either side.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

I am sure Cheney really could not give a rip about what Sharpton says. I would consider making sharpton mad as a badge of honor.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 730
    Given: 487

I find it humorous that Sharpton thinks anyone outside his close network actually cares what he has to say or thinks he's relevant.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,232

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    It's all very much revisionist history. The Civil War (War for Southern Independence) was more about states rights vs. centralized power in the federal government. Slavery was one of the tipping points in the decision to secede, but by no means the whole point, for either side.
    So when you go to the backwoods of Georgia and they have a confederate flag on their truck, or flying by their house, it's because they are a big supporter of states rights?

I don't think so. Yes, states rights and economic power had a lot to do with the Civil War, but the Confederate Flag has become, in the 150 years since then, a symbol for racism.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    So when you go to the backwoods of Georgia and they have a confederate flag on their truck, or flying by their house, it's because they are a big supporter of states rights?

I don't think so. Yes, states rights and economic power had a lot to do with the Civil War, but the Confederate Flag has become, in the 150 years since then, a symbol for racism.
    I agree with you to a certain extent. However, in a free society, banning a symbol because it is morally repugnant is not usually acceptable. And banning a symbol does not end racism.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with you to a certain extent. However, in a free society, banning a symbol because it is morally repugnant is not usually acceptable. And banning a symbol does not end racism.
    Who wants to ban it?

Shunning those who use it, at a personal level, is a very different thing from "banning" it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Who wants to ban it?

Shunning those who use it, at a personal level, is a very different thing from "banning" it.
    Well, going back to the original story, they are trying to smear the VP for basically walking by it. Is that over the top?

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Comments:

Changing the meaning of the confederate flag is revisionist history, but it wasn't done by Sharpton, it was done long before his 15 minutes started. Like it or not, to most people it is now a very different symbol than it was in the 19th century.

From looking at the original story (what this blogger picked up on), it looks like it was a reporter that came to Sharpton for a comment. Predictably, the reporter got exactly what he/she wanted. It seems to me that this reporter should be the deserved target of any ire due to sensationalism.

Guilt by association is ****. Cheney did nothing wrong (this time ).

Republicans and democrats in DC are about equally bad on states' rights. There are a few good ones, of course, but mostly they all seem too eager to meddle where they shouldn't.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, going back to the original story, they are trying to smear the VP for basically walking by it. Is that over the top?
    Over the top? I'm not sure what that means. There is still free speech in this country (right?) so Sharpton can say what ever he wants, but I really don't care about him or Cheney. If either of them was someone I respected in any way, shape or form maybe that'd be different...

Also, there are other things that bother me more than a confederate flag about Cheney's caged hunting trips. Those things are just wrong. If you want to hunt, go shoot a wild animal and make it at least semi-sporting. (Note: I don't know that this was a caged hunting trip, but I know Cheney goes on those)

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

It is being SOLD as a symbol for racism by Northern, Rich White Leftists.

What it really is, for those who tend to fly it,

a. A symbol of the rural south.
    b. A symbol of distrust of the centralized federal government.
    c. A symbol of historic conflict, where David kept Goliath at bay for much longer than you'd think could be possible.
    d. A symbol of protest against leftists who want to enforce "thought-police" and turn a historic symbol into a "hate-crime."
    e. A symbol of bravery and military excellence.

Walter Williams, the BLACK conservative commentator has an interesting essay on how historical wrongs can turn out well. Slavery worked for my family: (Our ancestors were from Alsace, and were slaves, continually exchanged back and forth between French and Germans.)

Americans, whose backgrounds include the African continent, can also point to how their history has put them in a place, today, where they have unparalleled opportunity, compared to the world-wide historical options.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Over the top? I'm not sure what that means. There is still free speech in this country (right?) so Sharpton can say what ever he wants, but I really don't care about him or Cheney. If either of them was someone I respected in any way, shape or form maybe that'd be different...

Also, there are other things that bother me more than a confederate flag about Cheney's caged hunting trips. Those things are just wrong. If you want to hunt, go shoot a wild animal and make it at least semi-sporting. (Note: I don't know that this was a caged hunting trip, but I know Cheney goes on those)
    You have proof, to back up the "caged hunting trip" comment? Unless you do, that is just an ignorant, libelous comment.

Last edited by herbiedoobie; 10-31-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iceclone View Post
    Comments:

Changing the meaning of the confederate flag is revisionist history, but it wasn't done by Sharpton, it was done long before his 15 minutes started. Like it or not, to most people it is now a very different symbol than it was in the 19th century.

From looking at the original story (what this blogger picked up on), it looks like it was a reporter that came to Sharpton for a comment. Predictably, the reporter got exactly what he/she wanted. It seems to me that this reporter should be the deserved target of any ire due to sensationalism.

Guilt by association is ****. Cheney did nothing wrong (this time ).

Republicans and democrats in DC are about equally bad on states' rights. There are a few good ones, of course, but mostly they all seem too eager to meddle where they shouldn't.
    True.....unfortunately it is being taught in schools that way. I agree on the reporter also. If you want to create a story from that out of thin air, Sharpton would be the guy to go to.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    You have proof, to back up the "caged hunting trip" comment? That is just an ignorant, libelous comment.
    Libelous? Ignorant? Really?

Here's what I was referring to:
    Another less well-known incident occurred two years prior to the Dick Cheney hunting incident when the vice president participated in a canned hunt at the Rolling Rock Club in Ligonier Township, Pennsylvania. Cheney and nine companions killed 417 out of 500 ringneck pheasants, of which the Vice President himself is credited with killing 70, and an unknown number of mallard ducks.[7]