Page 164 of 201 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3007
    Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: ***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight... the bogus article that has SEVEN acc teams as more popular than Florida State???

Come on, you are smarter than to blindly take an article based entirely on google search traffic.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Attendance numbers don't mean **** when it comes to expansion. Fan base size and markets do.
    I agree that attendance isn't everything but he mentioned fanbase. So with that said...

1- Attendance, revenue generation, and tv ratings are metrics that point to fanbase support- and BU kicks Cincy around in each one. Ratings are the only ones even up for debate and it frankly favors us.

2- Where you are located only matters if you can deliver said market. Nobody is desperate for Georgia State despite their Atlanta location. Despite not being in a major market A&M has value in Houston and DFW.

Last edited by Sammy11; 05-28-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy11 View Post
    I agree that attendance isn't everything but he mentioned fanbase. So with that said...

1- Attendance, revenue generation, and tv ratings are metrics that point to fanbase support- and BU kicks Cincy around in each one. Ratings are the only ones even up for debate and it frankly favors us.

2- Where you are located only matters if you can deliver said market. Nobody is desperate for Georgia State despite their Atlanta location. Despite not being in a major market A&M has value in Houston and DFW.
    But does cinncy have a tarp? We are still debating over which piece of **** is shinier. /argument

Last edited by chuckd4735; 05-28-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

But does cinncy have a tarp? We are still debating over which piece of **** is shinier. /argument
    Baylor's attendance without any visiting fans would have sold out Cincy's stadium for the past 5 years at least. Tarp or no tarp we have them beat.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 8

Baylor has better attendance than Cincy. Seems pretty clear to me (and I am not exactly a Baylor fan, especially when it comes to their fanbase).

I think Cincy has a lot of potential (large public school in a populous football crazy state that only has one other legit school) if they were part of a legitimate league, but right now that's all they have. Potential. As much as I like to rag on Baylor, having 2 games in Texas every year is pretty good for us.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 27

Baylor is in the conference. They were with us when the Forgotten 5 were getting shoved out the door

I'm not about to pile on any school in this new look Big 12. Especially a school that was in our same boat. We're fortunate to be intact and able to compete

Go Bears

DistrictCyclone

Attendance numbers don't mean **** when it comes to expansion. Fan base size and markets do.
    Not for the Big 12.

The thing people need to grasp is that the reasons behind Big 12 "expansion" and B1G expansion are completely different. For the B1G, it is all about accessing as many geographic TV markets as possible...because their entire M.O. is to bundle their conference-owned TV network into as many cable subscriptions as possible. The Big 12 doesn't have its own network, and relies upon high ratings and viewership to generate revenue from its TV partners, whether viewers are watching from Dallas or Mexico City. If it was all about "spreading out" into new markets, there's no way in hell we would have ever added TCU, a geographic market that the Big 12 already had a dominating presence in.

I actually believe the Big 12's model will prove to be more sustainable than the BoneG's. The Big 12's value is derived solely from the quality of the product it produces--we offer up 45 football games a season, and the TV networks bid on the broadcast rights based on how much they think those rights are worth. End of story. The B1G's model essentially soaks people living in densely populated metropolitan areas by shoving the Big Ten Network down your throat if you want a cable subscription. Even if you couldn't care less about the B1G, if you live in New York City or Washington DC and want cable, you're going to be paying for the Big Ten Network because it's "bundled" in with your cable package. While it's resulting in a financial windfall for the B1G right now, I firmly believe that the marketplace will eventually get rid of bundling...it's a terrible business model, and the free market has never been kind to bad ideas. It's just a matter of "when".

Last edited by DistrictCyclone; 05-28-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 184

Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    Baylor is in the conference. They were with us when the Forgotten 5 were getting shoved out the door

I'm not about to pile on any school in this new look Big 12. Especially a school that was in our same boat. We're fortunate to be intact and able to compete

Go Bears
    For the most part I agree, but I wouldn't go this far. For the most part KU and K-State were in the same boat as us - are we going to say "Go Jayhawks" and "Go Wildcats" as well?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    For the most part I agree, but I wouldn't go this far. For the most part KU and K-State were in the same boat as us - are we going to say "Go Jayhawks" and "Go Wildcats" as well?
    I say we should. I'm not excited about any of our conference members being put under the spotlight to see who is the weakest. I'm sure our school has been debated more than once.

So, yes, go Jayhawks and Wildcats. Without those schools the end game of the Big 12 could have been written with us on the outside looking in (reportedly)

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,431
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Not for the Big 12.

The thing people need to grasp is that the reasons behind Big 12 "expansion" and B1G expansion are completely different. For the B1G, it is all about accessing as many geographic TV markets as possible...because their entire M.O. is to bundle their conference-owned TV network into as many cable subscriptions as possible. The Big 12 doesn't have its own network, and relies upon high ratings and viewership to generate revenue from its TV partners, whether viewers are watching from Dallas or Mexico City. If it was all about "spreading out" into new markets, there's no way in hell we would have ever added TCU, a geographic market that the Big 12 already had a dominating presence in.

I actually believe the Big 12's model will prove to be more sustainable than the BoneG's. The Big 12's value is derived solely from the quality of the product it produces--we offer up 45 football games a season, and the TV networks bid on the broadcast rights based on how much they think those rights are worth. End of story. The B1G's model essentially soaks people living in densely populated metropolitan areas by shoving the Big Ten Network down your throat if you want a cable subscription. Even if you couldn't care less about the B1G, if you live in New York City or Washington DC and want cable, you're going to be paying for the Big Ten Network because it's "bundled" in with your cable package. While it's resulting in a financial windfall for the B1G right now, I firmly believe that the marketplace will eventually get rid of bundling...it's a terrible business model, and the free market has never been kind to bad ideas. It's just a matter of "when".
    Great post.

In addition to TCU, from the standpoint of adding markets, West Virginia didn't make any sense either. We added West Virginia because of their strong athletics (I know, they didn't do great this year, but they will be contenders sooner or later). The B1G on the other hand adds Rutgers and the Terps, great from a market standpoint, but make you cringe if you're a Big 10 fan wanting to see quality football. IMO, they can only water down their product so much, otherwise people won't watch.

It will be very interesting if market forces do away with bundling. Just have to hope the Big 12 can weather the short-term storm. The end of the Grant of Rights is still a long ways off; who knows what will happen between now and then.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

Who would you prefer to watch Minnesota vs. Rutgers or TCU vs. Okie St.? Its clear unless you do not know jack about quality football.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

Got to feed the monster and if feeding it to much with crappy teams it will vomit bad football, that is where the B1G is heading.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 184

Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    I say we should. I'm not excited about any of our conference members being put under the spotlight to see who is the weakest. I'm sure our school has been debated more than once.

So, yes, go Jayhawks and Wildcats. Without those schools the end game of the Big 12 could have been written with us on the outside looking in (reportedly)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

1) Baylor's tarp looked embarrassing, HOWEVER, they are building a pretty snazzy new stadium (we can't even raise enough money to just bowl in our endzone)
    2) I will root for the teams that would've been left out (k-state, Kansas, Baylor) ahead of the others. doesn't mean I'll be saying emaw or rock chalk anytime soon tho.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesForever View Post
    1) Baylor's tarp looked embarrassing, HOWEVER, they are building a pretty snazzy new stadium (we can't even raise enough money to just bowl in our endzone)
    2) I will root for the teams that would've been left out (k-state, Kansas, Baylor) ahead of the others. doesn't mean I'll be saying emaw or rock chalk anytime soon tho.
    An overflowing Jack Trice will always look better than a half full Baylor palace to a HS kid trying to decide where he's playing ball.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.