Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,023, Level: 34
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    294
    Points
    13,023
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    I wish the playoffs were only conference champions


    and I really wouldn't mind if they let 6 in and gave the top two a bye, because I would like to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Let the ACC,MWC, or Big East have a chance. heck it could be the B1G on the outside in a year where we have a 3 loss champ or something, maybe even a 2 loss champion.


    I don't care if the Big 12''s or SEC's 2nd best team is better than the B1G or PAC 12's champ or vice versa. If conferences don't want the big upset in a conference championship game then don't have them, let each conference decide whether its a regular season or CCG situation. Although, I think this is the perfect vehicle for a defacto 24 team playoff by letting conferences even have a semi-final conference championship game and then a conference championship game(as long as they have 12 teams or more). I would think the big money conferences wouldn't mind this because then they get the tv rights for both the semi-s and conference championship game. You would probably play at campus sites the first round and then a neutral site for the championship game.


    If playoffs in football are this small you should have been a conference champion to be the national champion. I just want to have the national champion come from being a conference champions who is the best team at the end of the year. Just like the Super Bowl the winner doesn't always have the best or 2nd best record.


    A few reasons:

    -So maybe a team that plays a tough schedule like Oregon last year and plays LSU in Texas(a defacto road game) doesn't get penalized for getting that 2nd loss, while they still won their conference. It would be a shame if under the current rules they would have picked Stanford over Oregon last year even when Oregon beat Stanford and Oregon won the league.


    -This would also promote great non-conference games if it doesn't impair teams ability to make the playoffs by winning their league.


    -Also,picking the teams is very subjective. There really isn't that many games played by the top notch teams in each of the leagues to know which leagues are truly better.





  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,943, Level: 80
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,107
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,763
    Points
    66,943
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    I think you are in the minority.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 76,207, Level: 85
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    5,364
    Points
    76,207
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 511

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Only fans of big 10 and pac 12 teams should want that. There is more of a chance they'll have 0 teams in the top 4 than have two teams in the top 4.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 75,332, Level: 85
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,218
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyballz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    885
    Points
    75,332
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 19

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    the number 2 team in the country shouldn't be penalized just because the number one team is in the same conference


    read this post quickly - it might not last long

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,023, Level: 34
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    294
    Points
    13,023
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyballz View Post
    the number 2 team in the country shouldn't be penalized just because the number one team is in the same conference
    How do you know that team is the 2nd best in the country? The conferences don't play each other that much, so who really knows? It becomes very subjective and will always be slanted towards the big name schools. Teams such as Texas, OU, Alabama, Florida, Mich., OSU, ND(if they become good again), USC's, etc.

    Last year was a perfect example there is no concrete evidence Oklahoma St was not as good as Alabama. Yes, we think Alabama might have won but we don't know for sure. The SEC was not that tough besides LSU and the Big 12 was very good last year. When its left to committees or voters thats what will happen.

    Secondly, I would rather all teams have a legitimate shot at the championship instead of trying to take the 2nd best team from a conference. The 2nd place team had a chance to win their conference and they didn't. I don't have to have a playoff that is perfectly seeded, just where all realistic teams have access. Make being a conference champion a criteria for being the national champ unless the playoff field becomes expanded by a lot more teams.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 12,516, Level: 33
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    hoosman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    666
    Points
    12,516
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    I didn't watch LSU ALA II - I don't even know anyone who did. Those ratings were probably horrible. If you can't win your conference, you should not expect to be NC. Also, teams playing each other twice is not exciting. One last thing, the SEC already has enough of a monopoly with TV contracts, recruiting, highest paid coaches, number of teams, why add to the problem by giving them even more revenue? There needs to be more equalization in CFB, not less. I'd like to see a payout cap like they have in pro sports, because it really is a pro sport now. That would give teams like ISU a better chance to compete and make the post season more interesting. Every year, the top 4-5 never change - OK, LSU, USC, ALA. I have to say, a 4 team playoff is probably better than what we had last year - an SEC rematch for the NC. However, we could be looking at 3 SEC teams in the final 4 this year. Maybe the final 4 payouts should be pooled into a general fund, and they play for honor?


    Last edited by hoosman; 06-27-2012 at 10:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,943, Level: 80
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,107
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,763
    Points
    66,943
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    If its only Conference Champions then Alabama doesn't make the playoffs last year... but with the format its going to be LSU, Alabama, and OKST all would have had their chance...

    Seems a lot smarter than me than robing one of the best teams for being in a superior conference.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,943, Level: 80
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,107
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,763
    Points
    66,943
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosman View Post
    I didn't watch LSU ALA II - I don't even know anyone who did. Those ratings were probably horrible. If you can't win your conference, you should not expect to be NC. Also, teams playing each other twice is not exciting. One last thing, the SEC already has enough of a monopoly with TV contracts, recruiting, highest paid coaches, number of teams, why add to the problem by giving them even more revenue? There needs to be more equalization in CFB, not less. I'd like to see a payout cap like they have in pro sports, because it really is a pro sport now. That would give teams like ISU a better chance to compete and make the post season more interesting. Every year, the top 4-5 never change - OK, LSU, USC, ALA. I have to say, a 4 team playoff is probably better than what we had last year - an SEC rematch for the NC. However, we could be looking at 3 SEC teams in the final 4 this year. Maybe the final 4 payouts should be pooled into a general fund, and they play for honor?
    If somehow the SEC manages to have 3 undefeated teams and no other conference has any, they probably deserve to all make the Playoffs. But that will never happen.

    Thats just like saying in the NFL if you can't win your division you shouldn't win the Super Bowl. Yet it happens, and it would be stupid for them to do away with wildcard teams for your logic.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 214,360, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,148
    Points
    214,360
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 20

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    Only fans of big 10 and pac 12 teams should want that. There is more of a chance they'll have 0 teams in the top 4 than have two teams in the top 4.
    yeah, no. not with the money those conferences bring in.



  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,023, Level: 34
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    294
    Points
    13,023
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    If its only Conference Champions then Alabama doesn't make the playoffs last year... but with the format its going to be LSU, Alabama, and OKST all would have had their chance...

    Seems a lot smarter than me than robing one of the best teams for being in a superior conference.

    Again, we don't always know which conference is superior because they dont play each other. But secondly, they are not eliminated. They had a chance in their conference championship game(I even like the idea of conference semi-final games so 4 from each conference are in a defacto playoff). That is their chance. This way everyone has access by taking the 6 best champions. I don't want to see a 12-0 or 11-1 team such as Boise St., Louisville, Houston, etc not get their shot. The 2nd place team in a power conference definitely had their shot. And under my scenario with conference semi-finals and an extra round of playoffs due to 6 teams, how does anyone lose with a couple more meaningful weeks of college football?



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 32,656, Level: 55
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    JohnnyFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,362
    Points
    32,656
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 178

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    and I really wouldn't mind if they let 6 in and gave the top two a bye, because I would like to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Let the ACC,MWC, or Big East have a chance. heck it could be the B1G on the outside in a year where we have a 3 loss champ or something, maybe even a 2 loss champion.
    "Weaker" conferences over the past 15 years would want that. The conferences that stand to be rewarded in the new system are the B12, the SEC and possibly the B10. Until Oregon got good within the last 15 years, the P12 didn't have a whole lot of depth.

    I read the other day that the B12 and SEC would have had multiple teams included had this system been in place earlier. The B10, meanwhile, had a shockingly lower number than I thought they would. It also mentioned that B10 teams have won one and a half total titles in the last 40 years, which I didn't believe until I looked it up.


    Last edited by JohnnyFive; 06-27-2012 at 10:57 PM.

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 34,720, Level: 57
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DurangoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    1,832
    Points
    34,720
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 111

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    The only way I'd be on board with automatic conference champs is 6 auto births for conference champs and two at large bids. The worst case is leaving the number 4 team at home, but I think it's a good mix of the two scenarios.

    The argument that the SEC had the 1-3 teams at one point last year is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I believe Arkansas hadn't played LSU at that point, so there was no way that they were going to end up 1, 2, & 3.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 20,406, Level: 43
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    898
    Points
    20,406
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyballz View Post
    the number 2 team in the country shouldn't be penalized just because the number one team is in the same conference
    Why not? The alleged reason for a playoff is to find the number one team. If a team is second best in their conference then they are by definition not the best team so why include them over somebody else who might be?

    Unfortunately the real top 3 reasons for having a playoff, in order, are: 1-make money, 2-make more money, and 3-give a trophy to somebody you can pass off as a national champion.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 28,242, Level: 51
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    LegendofRodA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    983
    Points
    28,242
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

    Re: I wish the playoffs were only conference champions

    Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    Again, we don't always know which conference is superior because they dont play each other. But secondly, they are not eliminated. They had a chance in their conference championship game(I even like the idea of conference semi-final games so 4 from each conference are in a defacto playoff). That is their chance. This way everyone has access by taking the 6 best champions. I don't want to see a 12-0 or 11-1 team such as Boise St., Louisville, Houston, etc not get their shot. The 2nd place team in a power conference definitely had their shot. And under my scenario with conference semi-finals and an extra round of playoffs due to 6 teams, how does anyone lose with a couple more meaningful weeks of college football?
    The SEC is vastly superior and if you don't believe that, you are only kidding yourself. I suppose you could make a case for Boise State in the WAC/MWC...let's see, while Bama was playing Auburn, BSU crushed, um New Mexico? The Tide lose to LSU and the mighty Broncos rolled Fresno St?

    Don't get me wrong, if Boise goes undefeated then I hope they get in...only so they can get pummeled by a superior team from a superior conference.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 86,395, Level: 91
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,055
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,910
    Points
    86,395
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 52
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    yeah, no. not with the money those conferences bring in.
    Would have has 0 teams from big10 last year.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM