Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Re: One-on-one with Athlon editor on the Cyclones

This guy is so full of it. He comments that our QB situation is a problem, yet OSU is starting a guy with ZERO experience at the D1 level and that is fine. Can't have it both ways. Oh and they lose Blackmon. OSU has a great defense? Come on.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    This guy is so full of it. He comments that our QB situation is a problem, yet OSU is starting a guy with ZERO experience at the D1 level and that is fine. Can't have it both ways. Oh and they lose Blackmon. OSU has a great defense? Come on.
    I agree with you to a point but disagree as a whole with your comments on OSU. I think they're a sleeper too. I just think that Gundy has that program to the point where it reloads instead of rebuilds. I guess we'll see. You're right about their QB. He's mega-talented no doubt but hasn't really had real-life darts thrown at him yet.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 37

our QB situation is a "situation" - I personally like JB and wish he was named the starter, however the staff must see something in Jantz or something they don't like in JB.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let's not forget either that Wes Lunt was a top 10 QB coming out of high school. That doesn't account for his lack of experience, but you don't become that highly-touted very often unless you have some serious skills.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 114

I wouldn't call their D great, but they were a little underrated last year. They had issues with being on the field for way too long similar to ours but with the advantage of being absolute ball hawks. 44 takeaways is a ton.

I think picking ISU to bomb year in and year out in the pubs is just the easy answer. Not that I don't think they do their research but they are looking more in depth at more prominent teams and picking them over us on rep/potential. How else does one pick Tech again over us.

We will be underdogs this year and we will upset people this year but we have to do more than 5-7 to get these pubs to throw us into the top half of the league.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    I think picking ISU to bomb year in and year out in the pubs is just the easy answer. Not that I don't think they do their research but they are looking more in depth at more prominent teams and picking them over us on rep/potential. How else does one pick Tech again over us.

We will be underdogs this year and we will upset people this year but we have to do more than 5-7 to get these pubs to throw us into the top half of the league.
    Correct. But I do think that Steve and his crew traditionally do a better job than most. I've done this piece with him two years in a row now. I come at him with some relatively hard questions and he's always quick to name off depth charts, etc. He does his research. That's why I usually pub Athlon a little more than the others. The fact that he pulled the name DeVondrick Nealy off the top of his head was impressive IMO.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Correct. But I do think that Steve and his crew traditionally do a better job than most. I've done this piece with him two years in a row now. I come at him with some relatively hard questions and he's always quick to name off depth charts, etc. He does his research. That's why I usually pub Athlon a little more than the others. The fact that he pulled the name DeVondrick Nealy off the top of his head was impressive IMO.
    Agreed.

And to CW's point, respect is earned. 6-6/6-7 won't get you better than a bottom of the pack ranking. We HAVE to start having winning seasons against this new Big XII to get picked in the top half.

John Walters is my hero

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 33

I actually agree with most of what Athlon predicted, with the exception of maybe Texas Tech. Our QB situation is a disaster right now. That isn't to say someone isn't going to step forward, but the Rutgers game didn't do much to make me feel like we're good to go this year. I'm looking forward to some future stability in the QB situation. If we can get that, we have a chance at another bowl game. Unfortunately, we have to put it together quick as I have Iowa as a key win for that to happen.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 137

Just need to find a way to get past 3 conference wins. We seem to have been stuck there for far too long.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

I think the reasoning for ranking the RB's so low was bunk. Because the O-line is weak? All parts of a team are interconnected. Are you ranking the offense or are you ranking the position groups? Are they ranking the DB's lower because the D-line can't get pressure on the QB so they are in man coverage way too long? Are they ranking some teams' WR's lower because they have an unproven QB or the O-line can't give the QB protection long enough to throw the ball?

Just tell us how the RB's stack up.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

CW your first question is terrible. We have not not been overachieving under Rhoads, I find that insulting to our players and coaches because its stating they are playing better than their abilities. The issue is for years we have been underachieving.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    CW your first question is terrible. We have not not been overachieving under Rhoads, I find that insulting to our players and coaches because its stating they are playing better than their abilities. The issue is for years we have been underachieving.
    "CF: In each of his three first years at Iowa State, Paul Rhoads has seemed to have surprised the preseason publications. Athlon is predicting a 4-8 season for Iowa State in 2012. Does Rhoads’ history of overachieving make you guys nervous with that pick?"

According to the PRESEASON PUBLICATIONS, Paul Rhoads' teams have overachieved. How can you argue that? When you're picked to win 3 games and you win 6, that's overachieving.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CycoCyclone View Post
    Agreed.

And to CW's point, respect is earned. 6-6/6-7 won't get you better than a bottom of the pack ranking. We HAVE to start having winning seasons against this new Big XII to get picked in the top half.
    I agree with u. Putting 2-3 consecutive seasons together with 8-9 wins with 4-6 of those being conference wins will allow for us to be picked higher in the preseason. have we been 4,3,3 the last 3 years on conf wins?

No question we r a better program than when chizik wax here and Mac's last couple of years. Rhodes and staff have shown the ability to develop and out coach other staffs during games. But I dont think most pubs will put us in the top 5 preseason in big xii until we win more games consistently. Plus if they come out and say we will be top 5, i.e., what happens to their credibility?

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 156

The editor makes it sound like they put a lot of time and thought into Iowa State's overall record but I don't buy it. The editor spent a little bit of time researching right before his interview, so he would look like a idiot. I have a feeling that they just look at ISU's schedule and said, "Humm I see 3 games Iowa State will be favored and if I remember correctly Iowa State has pulled off a upset the past couple of years so 4 wins? Yeah 4 total wins." Okay on to Kansas.