Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Anyone here a physician?

Anyone?

Or, do you have a physician family member?

If so, how many hours do you/they work per week? Also, are you/they happy as a doc?

Thanks in advance!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 36

Re: Anyone here a physician?

Quote Originally Posted by DoOrDie View Post
    Anyone?

Or, do you have a physician family member?

If so, how many hours do you/they work per week? Also, are you/they happy as a doc?

Thanks in advance!
    No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Prospect
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I would guess you'll find a doc on here to answer those questions, but if you have any questions about med school, let me know. Just finished 2nd year!

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 21

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!!

CyBer

My father is a doctor, and he does not like his job. Works about 40+ hours a week plus he is on call 24/4 and then 24/3 the next week.

He used to like his job but he doesn't like dealing with stupid patients.

Rookie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm thinking really hard about going back to med school. The problem is that I'll be 26/27 when (if) I start, and as a lady I would want to have a child during med school. Also, I'd want to stay local and go to D.O. school, which is fine because I don't really care about a lot of the competitive specialties and would want to work in peds or internal medicine. But, the cost of going to school is astronomical. That's so scary to me, and I don't know if I can get past it.

I'm not being arrogant when I say that I could get in - I already have a master's, work very closely with doctors, and graduated summa in Genetics from ISU. D.O. schools are much less competitive. But, I just want to know...in the long run, is it worth it? Are the long hours and constant worry about patients going to be too much to handle? With reimbursement problems and less time to see patients, will the fun parts of medicine even be worth it?

Rookie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jcal2001 View Post
    I would guess you'll find a doc on here to answer those questions, but if you have any questions about med school, let me know. Just finished 2nd year!
    See my last post...and congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment!

CyBer

I'm thinking really hard about going back to med school. The problem is that I'll be 26/27 when (if) I start, and as a lady I would want to have a child during med school. Also, I'd want to stay local and go to D.O. school, which is fine because I don't really care about a lot of the competitive specialties and would want to work in peds or internal medicine. But, the cost of going to school is astronomical. That's so scary to me, and I don't know if I can get past it.

I'm not being arrogant when I say that I could get in - I already have a master's, work very closely with doctors, and graduated summa in Genetics from ISU. D.O. schools are much less competitive. But, I just want to know...in the long run, is it worth it? Are the long hours and constant worry about patients going to be too much to handle? With reimbursement problems and less time to see patients, will the fun parts of medicine even be worth it?
    My girlfriend is going to be going to Medical School soon and she is 23 right now, so she won't be any younger than you when you graduate medical school.

If you need any advice on stuff feel free to PM me and I can ask my dad some questions that you might want answered.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 563

I met with a new Dr to McFarland recently. She works only two days a week because of wanting to spend time with her child. Her friend, a pediatrician, does the same sort of thing.

I do not know how that works with repayment of school though...

Prospect
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Perspective: It seems to be almost a right of passage to have current physicians tell you NOT to enter medicine. You must be able to hear that, and STILL pursue it - then you know that you're dedicated to getting through the process. I won't be one of those individuals. I love being in medical school. I am married, and my wife and I are currently expecting our first child. It is doable. A lot of work and cooperation, but doable. Then again, I'm not a practicing physician, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Age: There are a lot of "older students" in my class that are doing great. Don't let this become too much of a factor.

Debt: It sucks. There is no way around it. I have a spreadsheet that tells me what I'll owe when I'm out of residency. It frightens me. But hey, you know you're in it for the right reasons if you can get over this, right?

Programs: My brother went to DMU and is a practicing pediatrician. He had a great experience. But keep in mind (if this is the school you are considering) that students must perform some of their rotations in hospitals outside of Des Moines. I do not know if this has recently changed. If you're intent on doing primary care, going D.O. should not be an issue. Also, keep in mind, certain programs (like in-state MD programs) will be less expensive than others.

Hope this helps! If you have other questions, let me know. Good luck with your decision!

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 5

I'm not a physician, but I am a amateur surgeon.

There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 86

Just remember that during residency, you won't have a lot of time to spend with the kid you plan to have.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 671

Quote Originally Posted by whirlybirds View Post
    I'm not a physician, but I am a amateur surgeon.
    And of course, "I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll take a look".

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Recruit
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would go to the U of I if your CV is strong. Much cheaper and leaves more options open in the long run.
    Only you can determine if its worth it. The issue moving forward to most is the lack of control they feel in their practices and decreasing reimbursement. Helping people will always be rewarding, even in the future.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,018
    Given: 1,132

Family member of mine is a doct. They are in their 30's. Make $375k/year. Only work half the days of the month. 10 hour days. Never on call. I'm ****** I didn't study harder.