Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Father-son basketball camp

Wow. My son and I just got back to Minnesota from the Hoiberg Father-son basketball camp that ran Friday night and all day Saturday at the practice facility. It was cool in that my 11 year old and I got to experience a camp together, but what really made it amazing was that nearly the whole team and coaching staff were there the entire time.

Coach Hoiberg participated in the camp with his son and played in the 5 on 5, 3 on 3, etc. along with all of the shooting games. At the awards ceremony at the end of the camp, he was listed as winning 5 or 6 of the events I believe.

It was a great experience and if you have a son, I would recommend attending the next camp in August or one next summer. I can't imagine there are too many other coaches that commit to their camps like this and I don't know if I will ever get the chance to sit around and talk basketball with the Big 12 Coach of the Year again.

Some observations from the camp.....Korey Lucious was very quick as advertised but looked to be about 5'7" which surprised me. Melvin showed up after getting off the plane from his international basketball tryout. Hoiberg said he came to camp without sleeping the night before and was gracious and friendly. Chris Babb looks a lot like Mario Van Peebles and was also great to the kids. Georges Niang showed up in the middle of a free throw contest and immediately missed both of his shots. He is rock solid. Sherron Dorsey Walker also participated and calmly swished his shots. He is very skinny. Bubu was a lot of fun and Bryan Peterson looks to have a bright future in coaching as he helped Coach Rutter direct the ins and outs of the camp. Tyrus was also awesome and demonstrated many of the drills showing a pretty sweet shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Father-son basketball camp

My son and I were there too. I agree with your observations. It was fun experience for both of us. Coach Hoiberg's son was in our group and we got to play the games with them. Tyrus was the leader of our group. He was great with the kids and a fun player to watch. It's a weekend we won't forget.

I recommend taking your son to one of these camps. It's a great time.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUguy View Post
    Coach Hoiberg participated in the camp with his son and played in the 5 on 5, 3 on 3, etc. along with all of the shooting games. At the awards ceremony at the end of the camp, he was listed as winning 5 or 6 of the events I believe.
    did they combine for 73 points?

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Coach took it easy on us in the 5 on 5 and 2 on 2 competitions. He lit up the individual shooting drills though.

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 34

Good stuff. Things like this make little ISU fans

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by zumbro clones View Post
    My son and I were there too. I agree with your observations. It was fun experience for both of us. Coach Hoiberg's son was in our group and we got to play the games with them. Tyrus was the leader of our group. He was great with the kids and a fun player to watch. It's a weekend we won't forget.

I recommend taking your son to one of these camps. It's a great time.

Nice to hear. He seems like a nice guy, but maybe gets over-excited during games. Glad to know that he was a good leader of a group. Thought he might be wound too tight to do that.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Nice to hear. He seems like a nice guy, but maybe gets over-excited during games. Glad to know that he was a good leader of a group. Thought he might be wound too tight to do that.
    Tyrus is fine the way he is.

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Tyrus is fine the way he is.

Just seems spastic at times during games, but you never have to wonder if he is playing hard enough to sweat!

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I also brought my two boys down. I was surprised by how much BB I had to play! I haven't played a pickup game since college. Haven't shot regularly in years and only most recently on 8" rims and youth balls practicing with my kids. I had as much fun as my boys, despite losing any game I used to have.

We will definitely be back next year and I recommended The August one to a friend. We were in the other gym with the college and d league groups, I will add Percy Gibson and Booker to the list, as the helped my little guy when I was splitting time. My older one lliked Will, because he put shaving cream on my son during face the nation. After Will swatted his shot across the gym, he came back wide-eyed and said "he's really tall". He loved it!

Also, Austin McBeth was great with the kids and had terrific energy. He's quite a character, with an infectious personality. I can see a future coach there. I am still surprised how available and approachable everyone was and that Fred tried to get around to see everyone's shot and give feedback.

Great time!

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From Twitter

Fred Hoiberg ‏@ISUMayor32 Thanks to all the dads/sons for coming to camp...I'm going to go sit in an ice bath! #soreknees

Fred Hoiberg ‏@ISUMayor32 Having a great time participating in father/son camp with Jack...haven't played in 2 years so a little rusty!