Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Where does our recruiting stand....

Well our fb season may be winding down, but, our fb recruiting is turning up the heat...i know we got a couple of home games coming up, these should be loaded with HS talent as the majority of their seasons are done. So with all that, whats the target area for our recruiting....

11 committs so far.
    2 qb
    1 rb/fb
    1 wr (jc)
    1 te (poss ol)
    2 OL (Did see one identify Tuftee as poss D. Tackle not O. Tackle) Interesting...
    3 DE
    1 Ath (Safety)

Judging from this list, and thinking we have around 14 schollies left, and someone had mentioned that Gene has targeted about 4-5 JC schollies.
    I would see on the offensive side 1-2 more OL, 1 WR.
    Love to see Mack, Marrongelli and i think it will be Finney at wr.
    On Defense....hmmmmm got some recruiting to do here....

Lets say we have 8 schollies left for defense 2 DT, 3 LB, 3 DB
    Love to see Otis Jones they show him as a dend, but his speed will force him inside to Dtackle who now has us listed as one of top two with the Buffs. Swanson Miller is a highly rated DT 4* (Juco) love to get him to shore up middle right now 6-4, 330...or Joe Marshall 6-2, 325 (HS) this would help our rotation immediately.
    LB - Nick Clancy would be a great get...he reminds me of C. Greenway of EIU and that boy could play. Other options here, Anthony Lewis, Alex Patee - Adedji Adeoba (Teammates), Rex Sharpe OLB (Juco Dec Grad) great size and speed and here's a longshot - Michael Joyce.
    DB. Would love to steal Cromartie away from Wisconsin, don't know if it can happen. TerRan Benton or Jarrett Ben, both would be good gets. I like the size and speed of D. Williamson who came in for a visit, plus he has a look of being a bit on the cocky side, i like that in corners. Don't be surprised at Billings (juco) J. Johnson or Isaiah Pannell, these guys all have good size and speed, i think the ratings on them is extremely low, but, i think Chiz recruits size (he likes big corner) and speed and relys on his ability to coach them the tech. I think if this is his recruiting philosphy that is a bit on the cocky side, but the thought process is exactly what we need to rebuild. Bring in athletes and rely on coaching tech. the 4-5 star guys are similar athletes and have the intangibles....some tech can be taught and some is feel.

I'll take my chances with athletes.....it will be refreshing to see cb's that have size and can run with the athletes we have match up against in the big 12....

Lastly special teams (2)
    Kickers - Mahoney or Dimke either or both would be awesome....we need a leg our field position to our opponents is almost embarrasing, our kicks have a hang time of 3-4 secs. these high school kids all be it off a tee are 4-5 sec. need a big leg...

Returner - Sandvig is not the answer....I think the answer is Michael Thomas - he can double as a back up at RB or maybe even push for time there....

Okay theres my wish list for x-mas.....

I hope chiz plays santa and gives us all a gift........

BTW - did anyone else see the post that our recruiting class is above Iowa's.....too me, thats impressive.....

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 10-30-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Where does our recruiting stand....

I think we are already seeing how persuasive and convincing Chizik and his staff are out on the recruiting trail. I think his "no-fluff" style appeases recruits as well as fans.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Well our fb season may be winding down, but, our fb recruiting is turning up the heat...i know we got a couple of home games coming up, these should be loaded with HS talent as the majority of their seasons are done. So with all that, whats the target area for our recruiting....

11 committs so far.
    2 qb
    1 rb/fb
    1 wr (jc)
    1 te (poss ol)
    2 OL (Did see one identify Tuftee as poss D. Tackle not O. Tackle) Interesting...
    3 DE
    1 Ath (Safety)

Judging from this list, and thinking we have around 14 schollies left, and someone had mentioned that Gene has targeted about 4-5 JC schollies.
    I would see on the offensive side 1-2 more OL, 1 WR.
    Love to see Mack, Marrongelli and i think it will be Finney at wr.
    On Defense....hmmmmm got some recruiting to do here....

Lets say we have 8 schollies left for defense 2 DT, 3 LB, 3 DB
    Love to see Otis Jones they show him as a dend, but his speed will force him inside to Dtackle who now has us listed as one of top two with the Buffs. Swanson Miller is a highly rated DT 4* (Juco) love to get him to shore up middle right now 6-4, 330...or Joe Marshall 6-2, 325 (HS) this would help our rotation immediately.
    LB - Nick Clancy would be a great get...he reminds me of C. Greenway of EIU and that boy could play. Other options here, Anthony Lewis, Alex Patee - Adedji Adeoba (Teammates), Rex Sharpe OLB (Juco Dec Grad) great size and speed and here's a longshot - Michael Joyce.
    DB. Would love to steal Cromartie away from Wisconsin, don't know if it can happen. TerRan Benton or Jarrett Ben, both would be good gets. I like the size and speed of D. Williamson who came in for a visit, plus he has a look of being a bit on the cocky side, i like that in corners. Don't be surprised at Billings (juco) J. Johnson or Isaiah Pannell, these guys all have good size and speed, i think the ratings on them is extremely low, but, i think Chiz recruits size (he likes big corner) and speed and relys on his ability to coach them the tech. I think if this is his recruiting philosphy that is a bit on the cocky side, but the thought process is exactly what we need to rebuild. Bring in athletes and rely on coaching tech. the 4-5 star guys are similar athletes and have the intangibles....some tech can be taught and some is feel.

I'll take my chances with athletes.....it will be refreshing to see cb's that have size and can run with the athletes we have match up against in the big 12....

Lastly special teams (2)
    Kickers - Mahoney or Dimke either or both would be awesome....we need a leg our field position to our opponents is almost embarrasing, our kicks have a hang time of 3-4 secs. these high school kids all be it off a tee are 4-5 sec. need a big leg...

Returner - Sandvig is not the answer....I think the answer is Michael Thomas - he can double as a back up at RB or maybe even push for time there....

Okay theres my wish list for x-mas.....

I hope chiz plays santa and gives us all a gift........

BTW - did anyone else see the post that our recruiting class is above Iowa's.....too me, thats impressive.....

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying. Say we have 14 scholarships left to give. Here's how I would do it:

QB: 0 Covered already.
    WR: 2 HS. Need some underclassmen here.
    TE: 1 HS. I do not believe that Bykowski is a TE if he really runs a 4.95.
    RB: 1HS. Schwartz is a good start, now get someone with a different style.
    OL: 1HS, 1JC. Mack and an interior HS player.

DE: 0 Covered, unless they can find a three year JC to add.
    DT: 1 HS, 1 JC. They need to replace both Braaksma and Rubin, so a big run-stuffing JUCO would help. I think one of the DEs signed will eventually move inside.
    LB: 2 HS. I think one is already in the bag.
    CB: 2HS. None signed last year, you need to keep the pipeline full.
    S: 1HS, 1JC. Land is a good start. Find another and bring in a JUCO.
    K: Mahoney, please.

That's 15. I'm OK with them oversigning by one, since someone always doesn't make it.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

As is stands it looks like we have a lot of work to do on the defensive side of recruiting. I think the lines on both sides of the ball need to be priority and adding a competent kicker as well. At QB and WR we have pretty good depth and youth there, adding another RB and TE would not be a bad thing either but for the most part I think we are pretty covered at the skill positions for now unless you can land a big upgrade over someone we currently have.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    K: Mahoney, please.
    This is #1 on my wish-list. Someone previously posted video of Mahoney from the Kohl's camp so I did a little digging around on the Kohl's site. I think all 4 kickers we're recruiting (according to Rivals) were at that Kohl's camp, and Mahoney was by far the best performer of the 4. I think Mahoney came in 3rd (out of 60+) in kick-offs and 1st in FG's (out of 50+). He hit something like 82% of his FG's. He's a little small, but then again, he's a HS kicker, so who cares as long as he's money from 40 and in, and gives us a legitimate shot at the 50 yarders. I'm hoping GC pulls the trigger on him soon.

*Edit*
    I just had a thought...if he were to come to ISU and make us forget all of our kicking woes over the past several years...we could call him "Money Mahoney." That's worth a scholarship right there. Feel free to make fun of me for coming up with that.
    *Edit*

Last edited by Seth; 10-30-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    This is #1 on my wish-list. Someone previously posted video of Mahoney from the Kohl's camp so I did a little digging around on the Kohl's site. I think all 4 kickers we're recruiting (according to Rivals) were at that Kohl's camp, and Mahoney was by far the best performer of the 4. I think Mahoney came in 3rd (out of 60+) in kick-offs and 1st in FG's (out of 50+). He hit something like 82% of his FG's. He's a little small, but then again, he's a HS kicker, so who cares as long as he's money from 40 and in, and gives us a legitimate shot at the 50 yarders. I'm hoping GC pulls the trigger on him soon.

*Edit*
    I just had a thought...if he were to come to ISU and make us forget all of our kicking woes over the past several years...we could call him "Money Mahoney." That's worth a scholarship right there. Feel free to make fun of me for coming up with that.
    *Edit*
    Seth, i posted that video and your dead on with all your stats....this kid is legit....we need a leg that can kick the ball to the endzone and see if we can tackle someone, otherwise kick it out of bounds....them running it back to our 40 everytime is putting our d in bad spots....

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 166

People (for good reason) are gonna go nuts if and when we get a K/P recruit, but don't get too pumped for them until they make the kicks.

I am so impressed with Chizik so far, there is a reason everyone around I-State got pumped when he was hired: THIS is why, the recruiting aspect.

I'd like to see WR and CB positions addressed at the HS level. OVERALL I think we need to recruit SPEED!

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

For the record, we are catching up to Nebraska since they are losing recruits. kNu is like a boat that is taking on water.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 166

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    For the record, we are catching up to Nebraska since they are losing recruits. kNu is like a boat that is taking on water.
    If we can start beating kNu and eicc in recruiting rankings on a regular basis I will be pleased.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Seth, i posted that video and your dead on with all your stats....this kid is legit....we need a leg that can kick the ball to the endzone and see if we can tackle someone, otherwise kick it out of bounds....them running it back to our 40 everytime is putting our d in bad spots....
    I watched GC's weekly media conference yesterday and GC was asked how we could win in every statistical category but lose anyway in the Mizzou game. He said our average starting position on kick-offs (throughout the season I think) has been around the 20 whereas our opponents are averaging a starting position around the 40. Those 20 yards are killing us. Thank God we've got a coach who realizes that.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I may be wrong on this, but my recollection is that on one of GC's interviews he said something about 21-22 scholarships available this year. Did anyone else hear this?

Starter
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

chizik calls zach guyer weekly so were obviously pretty close to him.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is Guyer the kid from Johnston everyone has been talking about? When I was looking at Mahoney, Dimke, etc. he wasn't on the list of recruits according to Rivals, but if he's as good as people say he is, I'd be all about picking him up as well.

I just want a kicker who can split the uprights and get it in the end-zone on kick-offs. Maybe 2 of 'em so we can have competition for the starting job.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He a big kid, that probably explains the big time leg....

Zach Guyer - Football Recruiting

I still don't know if i like him above Mahoney....check out these kicking camp stats...

http://www.kohlskicking.com/2007scho...f_results.html
    13th in kickoffs (Mahoney #3)

Kohl's 2007 Scholarship Camp Final Field Goal
    19th in fg's (Mahoney #1)

I know its 20/20 but i would be interested to know how many games were lost by our kicker. I wouldnt consider the only games lost as a last chance kick either...missing a fg is demoralizing and pumps up the opposing team. Not to mention kicks early in the game that change field position, changes play calling, so many aspects directly linked to those pesky kickers.....And to you Seth, thats exactly what every team in the nation is looking for, someone who can split the uprights and kick into the endzone....thats a weapon and surely worth a schollie....