Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Indy Corn 250

Anybody headed to Newton this weekend for the Indy Corn 250? Any insights on when to be there and what to plan on doing?

Believing in Kermuflin since 2009!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

Re: Indy Corn 250

I will be going, but this will be my first time at Newton

According to the schedule autographs start at like 4:30 and then after that is a bunch of racing. I think I will plan on getting there sometime after noon.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Walk On
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Me and my dad have had season tickets the last couple years. We normally show up at the crack of dawn and tailgate all day, but I wont be there. I am a big racing fan but going to a track and watching for 2-3 hours is about as fun as hitting yourself in the balls with a hammer.

Tailgating there is alright and there is a lot of stuff to do/see when you are there. They have a big Chevy exhibit and all of the trailers for t-shirts and stuff like that. If you have not been before and you enjoy tailgating and being around people, you will like going. But, I will forewarn you that the race is generally boring. Although the Indy cars are not quite as boring as Nascrap stuff and I personally hate Indycars.

If you cant dazzle them with brilliance; baffle them with bull****.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AIBClone View Post
    Me and my dad have had season tickets the last couple years. We normally show up at the crack of dawn and tailgate all day, but I wont be there. I am a big racing fan but going to a track and watching for 2-3 hours is about as fun as hitting yourself in the balls with a hammer.

Tailgating there is alright and there is a lot of stuff to do/see when you are there. They have a big Chevy exhibit and all of the trailers for t-shirts and stuff like that. If you have not been before and you enjoy tailgating and being around people, you will like going. But, I will forewarn you that the race is generally boring. Although the Indy cars are not quite as boring as Nascrap stuff and I personally hate Indycars.
    You obviously weren't at the Indycar race last year. Best race at Newton since it opened, other than the wrecking over the finish in the Nationwide race. A respected Indycar writer said it was the best Indycar race of the past 10 years. Focus on turn 1 where they divebomb each other.

But anyways, I've had season tickets for 4 years. We usually show up 6 hours prior to the race. Tailgating is fun, but nothing like an ISU football game. Very sparse and quiet for the most part, but it's fun. Inside its like a mini state fair. Lots of food, souvineers, exhibits to see. Entering and exiting the track is pretty easy, as long as you leave right away. That aspect has come a long way. The first year I remember waiting an hour to get on the interstate, now it's about 15 mins. Make sure you are in your seats 20 mins before the green flag for opening ceremonies. Also, if you have season tickets you should have a voucher to go to pits, or you can purchase one. A tractor will drive you down there, you can walk around infield and along pit lane, and you can ride back whenever you are ready.

Last edited by ISUcy08; 06-21-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 21

We've gone every year since the track opened (HUGE IndyCar fan). The racing is much better under the lights, so you're in for a treat. We go out early to see the races before the 250, but what we've always done is get cold pit passes over by gate 2 I think?

Then you basically have all access to the garages before the race to see the cars up close and watch the teams tune/tweak them. I don't remember how much they are, but usually around $40 to $50 a person. Definitely worth the experience at least once!!

Walk On
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I usually fall asleep for most of the races. The night races are definately better than the day races.

If you cant dazzle them with brilliance; baffle them with bull****.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,981
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 144

Talk to Wesley_W! He'll more than likely be there