Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 79,249, Level: 87
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,364
    Points
    79,249
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 802

    Taco John's/Taco Bell

    So with the success of my Casey's Sub thread and the fact that I am on the road quite a bit eating various food places, I have declared myself a food expert.

    In honor of missing my daily blog of expert opinion yesterday, I will post a quick update for all my fans. I had Taco John's yesterday but just got soft tacos so not much to report. I will provide for you all the quality of soft taco of all TJ's I have been to.

    1. Mtown, no brainer.
    2. Grinnell, yesterday inspired me that there is sign of other quality TJ's out there.
    3. Waverly, decent but meat is sloppy.
    4. Ankeny, I was thinking this would be higher given the competition but was terribly wrong.
    5. Ames, YUCK!

    Now on to today. I stopped in Altoona at KFBell and was pondering which sounded better. A light bulb went off when I saw Nacho on the menu so I got the new nacho burrito and it was FANTASTIC! I also ordered a cheesy fiesta potatoes which is of course glamorous and a double decker as back up if the burrito failed but it did quite the opposite. I love the double decker as you get beans and a hard shell for just 30 cents more which provides an exquisite taste to a normal softy. I give my expert stamp of approval to the nacho burrito and if you haven't had the CFP's, they are great but not on the menu.

    Thank you all for reading, see you next time!


    Last edited by NATEizKING; 06-21-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Phone grammar

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 50,483, Level: 69
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    cdnlngld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,095
    Points
    50,483
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 165

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    So with the success of my Casey's Sub thread and the fact that I am on the road quite a bit eating various food places, I have declared myself a food expert.

    In honor of missing my daily blog of expert opinion yesterday, I will post a quick update for all my fans. I had Taco John's yesterday but just got soft tacos so not much to report. I will provide for you all the quality of soft taco of all TJ's I have been to.

    1. Mtown, no brainer.
    2. Grinnell, yesterday inspired me that there is sign of other quality TJ's out there.
    3. Waverly, decent but meat is sloppy.
    4. Ankeny, I was thinking this would be higher given the competition but was terribly wrong.
    5. Ames, YUCK!

    Now on to today. I stopped in Altoona at KFBell and was pondering which sounded better. A light bulb went off when I saw Nacho on the menu so I got the new nacho burrito and it was FANTASTIC! I also ordered a cheesy fiesta potatoes which is of course glamorous and a double decker as back up if the burrito failed but it did quite the opposite. I love the double decker as you get beans and a hard shell for just 30 cents more which provides an exquisite taste to a normal softy. I give my expert stamp of approval to the nacho burrito and if you haven't had the CFP's, they are great but not on the menu.

    Thank you all for reading, see you next time!

    Ha... why go to taco bell or taco john's when there is taco tico, taco time, and tasty tacos?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 79,249, Level: 87
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,364
    Points
    79,249
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 802

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by cdnlngld View Post
    Ha... why go to taco bell or taco john's when there is taco tico, taco time, and tasty tacos?
    Well living in Mtown and travelling mostly in the surrounding area within an hour or so radius, if you go with the options you listed to what is available the choice would be d., none of the above.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 176,412, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VikesFan5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    11,295
    Points
    176,412
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 204

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Taco Bell is amazing. And I'm glad I'm not the only person who knows how delicious the Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are. I'll take your advice and get the new nacho burrito next time I'm there.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 124,104, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,205
    Points
    124,104
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 128

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    For me, it is TJs all the way solely based on the fact that potato oles are awesome. That said, TB is much more prevalent in my area so I tend to end up eating there more often. I'm really enjoying their new Doritos taco.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 334,415, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranOverdrive
    ISUCubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    13,978
    Points
    334,415
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,705
    Given: 932

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    I've never had Taco Bell or Johns. Only Taco Time for me.

    That being said, no wonder Marshalltown is #1 and Ames is last for you. You're from Marshalltown, and everyone from Marshalltown hates anything in Ames, with the exception of Iowa State.


    It's Levi-O-sa, not LeviosAR

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 39,960, Level: 61
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,907
    Points
    39,960
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 11

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    So with the success of my Casey's Sub thread and the fact that I am on the road quite a bit eating various food places, I have declared myself a food expert.

    In honor of missing my daily blog of expert opinion yesterday, I will post a quick update for all my fans. I had Taco John's yesterday but just got soft tacos so not much to report. I will provide for you all the quality of soft taco of all TJ's I have been to.

    1. Mtown, no brainer.
    2. Grinnell, yesterday inspired me that there is sign of other quality TJ's out there.
    3. Waverly, decent but meat is sloppy.
    4. Ankeny, I was thinking this would be higher given the competition but was terribly wrong.
    5. Ames, YUCK!

    Now on to today. I stopped in Altoona at KFBell and was pondering which sounded better. A light bulb went off when I saw Nacho on the menu so I got the new nacho burrito and it was FANTASTIC! I also ordered a cheesy fiesta potatoes which is of course glamorous and a double decker as back up if the burrito failed but it did quite the opposite. I love the double decker as you get beans and a hard shell for just 30 cents more which provides an exquisite taste to a normal softy. I give my expert stamp of approval to the nacho burrito and if you haven't had the CFP's, they are great but not on the menu.

    Thank you all for reading, see you next time!
    I agree on mtown having the best TJs. But not the mtown you are referring to! Muscatine's taco johns is the ****! Its locally owned by a guy who is very hands on! Its therefore not owned by "Taco Johns of Iowa inc" like most of the others are. Makes a big difference.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 93,586, Level: 95
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,954
    Points
    93,586
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Baja Chicken Chalupa from Taco Bell or Crunchwrap supreme > anything at Taco Johns


    WE ARE​DOG PEOPLE

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 50,483, Level: 69
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    cdnlngld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,095
    Points
    50,483
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 165

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    Well living in Mtown and travelling mostly in the surrounding area within an hour or so radius, if you go with the options you listed to what is available the choice would be d., none of the above.
    It's worth the drive for some crisp meat burritos!

    Wait a minute.... are you saying you would choose taco bell or taco john's over the other three...

    You sir, ARE NOT a food expert....


    Last edited by cdnlngld; 06-21-2012 at 01:41 PM.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 79,249, Level: 87
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,364
    Points
    79,249
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 802

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    I agree on mtown having the best TJs. But not the mtown you are referring to! Muscatine's taco johns is the ****! Its locally owned by a guy who is very hands on! Its therefore not owned by "Taco Johns of Iowa inc" like most of the others are. Makes a big difference.
    Marshalltown's is locally owned by the Gimbel's. Their son will be a senior QB after breaking the state record for passings yards in a season as a junior. We have determined the key to a quality TJ's: local ownership.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 125,822, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,781
    Points
    125,822
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 785
    Given: 656

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    I agree on mtown having the best TJs. But not the mtown you are referring to! Muscatine's taco johns is the ****! Its locally owned by a guy who is very hands on! Its therefore not owned by "Taco Johns of Iowa inc" like most of the others are. Makes a big difference.
    Hmm...you don't say? I'm in Muscatine for the summer so I will have to give the TJ's a shot for lunch soon. Needless to say I've been very impressed with the food options in Muscatine so far.


    "The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 42,622, Level: 63
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,196
    Points
    42,622
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 47

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    you can buy a month's worth of food from taco bell for about $4

    or half a combo meal at taco john's



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 227,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,086
    Points
    227,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,706
    Given: 108

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    If you order anything from Taco John's but the potato oles you are taking your life into your own hands.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 23,158, Level: 46
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,681
    Points
    23,158
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 48

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    Well living in Mtown and travelling mostly in the surrounding area within an hour or so radius, if you go with the options you listed to what is available the choice would be d., none of the above.
    There is a taco time in Ames



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 79,249, Level: 87
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,364
    Points
    79,249
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 802

    Re: Taco John's/Taco Bell

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    I've never had Taco Bell or Johns. Only Taco Time for me.

    That being said, no wonder Marshalltown is #1 and Ames is last for you. You're from Marshalltown, and everyone from Marshalltown hates anything in Ames, with the exception of Iowa State.
    Great Plains > Zeno's

    Am I going to get arrested for that?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • Iowa State vs. Texas
  • January 26, 2015
  • 08:00 PM