Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Are Dissenting Views Allowed Any Longer?

I sincerely hope so. The last thing I want to see happen to this or any other Cyclone fan forum is for it to become a Kumbaya convention. Based on what I have seen today, all posters are now required to only dwell on "happy" thoughts. Part of being a fan is being able to talk honestly about your team - good and bad.

URBCLONE

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    I sincerely hope so. The last thing I want to see happen to this or any other Cyclone fan forum is for it to become a Kumbaya convention. Based on what I have seen today, all posters are now required to only dwell on "happy" thoughts. Part of being a fan is being able to talk honestly about your team - good and bad.
    There is nothing wrong with a "dissenting" view...but that is quite different from the member that post continuous negativity without purpose.

Discuss certain failed plays? ...most welcome.
    The "I cannot stand D McCarney" blibber blabber is not.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152
    No, that's not it at all. We as fans have the right to be critical of our team.

However, we aught to be able to do this in a respectful, coherent manner. Late last night and very early this morning you saw the "cliff jumpers" in here taking things that were issues last night and turning them into season-ending time bombs. Blasting players and being completely disrespectful to the coaching staff.

That type of garbage is something I hope does not continue here or anywhere else.

Anyone want an example of how to be critical in the "right" way? Read BryceC's post...

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    No one is asking for Kumbaya. Just a little perspective would be nice. Look at my posts, I have pointed out things that could be better...but I am not ripping on players, coaches. We won. Let's be happy. Lets talk about how we can make things better, and what will need to be improved upon. It is just the slant that people put on it. There are some on this board who seem to revel in the negatives and choose to ignore the positives. Yeah, we made a lot of mistakes last night. Yes talk about them. Talk about how we need to fix them. Don't just rip and gripe.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44
    Dissenting views are allowed, but complaining and calling the season a total failure after the first game goes quite a few steps further then dissenting views.
    It is the same chronic complainers that I will post my dissenting view to their dissenting view as often as I can

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    and for the record...I cannot stand "kumbaya"...I shudder at the thought of the drivil.
    I much prefer the internet battles, keyboard wars, and any other form of scuffle that inflates my macy's parade size ego!

and one more thing...this question is not "front page" material

Last edited by monkeybrow; 09-01-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrow View Post
    and for the record...I cannot stand "kumbaya"...I shudder at the thought of the drivil.
    I agree. I enjoy a good intelligent debate.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 30
    I just think that there some very vocal posters who tend to take over various threads. You have the ones who are screaming about firing the coaching staff for any reason and then you have ones that bleed cardinal and gold to the point that if you even have a single negative thought then they will bash you and call you nasty things like "Hawkeye fan". Let's be honest, we got a win and that is great, but there were some bad points about last nights game. This site is great because for a free site we get alot of info, there are many informed posters and the majority of posters are levelheaded ISU fans. There will always be pundits the will always post the negative and those that will only see things with cardinal colored glasses. Alas, that is life. Now on to UNLV.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    I was wondering what your take on this game was Urb, you have great observations usually. How did you think we looked, and what are your concerns?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Just my $.02 from a lurking Husker fan who likes to keep up on what's going on with other teams (I also live in Ft. Dodge, so I take more interest in the 'Clones).

Some time ago I was a member of a BBS that was, at the time, the "flagship" of all Husker BBS's. However, (through favoritism & gross mis-management) it has since decayed into a cesspool of negativity & a breeding ground for trolls & thier intelligent posters have found homes elsewhere. I too, have found a better board (The one garn91 claims as his own). I saw this topic & hoped to give some advice.... well not "advice," as it just smacks of arrogance... call it my observations:

Dissenting opinions are harmless when they're backed up. If you have a legitimate argument, then bring it. But slinging constant negativity isn't justified with an "I hope I'm wrong" tacked on the end. Also, watch out for the "I've been a fan for X years, so I can say what I want" garbage. Re-hashing long-since dispelled myths is another tell-tale sign. Since the firing of our drunken, philandering excuse for a coach, NU has had to deal with a rather vocal minority of ignorami who throw these out on a regular basis. Thought I'd pass it along & see if it helps keep down the emergence of a red & gold breed of troll.

Last edited by Jayson; 09-01-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Just my $.02 from a lurking Husker fan who likes to keep up on what's going on with other teams (I also live in Ft. Dodge, so I take more interest in the 'Clones).

Some time ago I was a member of a BBS that was, at the time, the "flagship" of all Husker BBS's. However, it has since decayed into a cesspool of negativity & a breeding ground for trolls & thier intelligent posters have found homes elsewhere. I too, have found a better board (The one garn91 claims as his own). I saw this topic & hoped to give some advice.... well not "advice," as it just smacks of arrogance... call it my observations:

Dissenting opinions are harmless when they're backed up. If you have a legitimate argument, then bring it. But slinging constant negativity isn't justified with an "I hope I'm wrong" tacked on the end.
    there is hope in the land of corn...a well put post

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I was wondering what your take on this game was Urb, you have great observations usually. How did you think we looked, and what are your concerns?
    To all - sorry for posting to the front page. It appears that the thread has now been moved to a more appropriate forum.

Bryce, I'll try to make this very succinct.

GREAT - Todd Blythe. Brett Meyer. Enough said.

Good - Stevie Hicks. He looked as good as he has in a long time.

Average - Both the offensive and the defensive lines. The offensive line gave adequate protection but didn't really open any gaping holes or generate near the rushing attack that I would have liked to have seen. The defensive line did a great job with the run, but could not get any pressure on the QB.

Below Average - The secondary. 380 yds is too many. Part or a lot of this can be attributed to the failure to get any heat on the QB.

AWFUL - Special teams play. Bone-headed decision to not fall on the blocked kick almost cost ISU the game. Bad snap on the FG attempt in the fourth quarter. Kicking the ball out of bounds. Exception - Culbertson for making all of his kicks.

Coaching staff - Too conservative in the second half with only an eight point lead. Game plan to stuff the run was a good decision.

Crowd - Good, but not great. Personally I am tired of all the hand-wringing over attendance at ISU FB games. Going to a big bowl would help attendance IMO.

Atmosphere - I don't like inflatable helmets at the Super Bowl and I didn't here either. Liked the move of the band to the North endzone. I really enjoy night games so I tend to rate the atmosphere as pretty good.

This got a little longer than I had hoped.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    "Crowd - Good, but not great. Personally I am tired of all the hand-wringing over attendance at ISU FB games. Going to a big bowl would help attendance IMO."

AMEN. God I get tired of hearing this as well.

See, this is why I like your stuff, succinct (unlike my post, sheesh) not clouded by homerism. Good, good stuff.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260
    I am sure that constructive criticism is appreciated. This college team is made of young men and not pros although some say Blythe is. Expect mistakes. Expect people to moan. Expect people to be positive. Overall, this is a win against a well prepared team. This is about the best first game of the season I have seen. Or did I miss something? The Toledo coach looks to be pretty savvy since they have had 10-11 comeback wins over the last four years after halftime.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-01-2006 at 12:50 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I am guessing that I am one of the people that is being targeted here with this thread. I admit that I have never been a fan of Macarney's, but I bleed cardinal an gold. I just want people to understand that what we saw last night was the same old stuff that we have seen forever. Playing not tolose instead of winning the damn game. Toledo could not stop us until they figured out like SO MANY OTHER COACHES have in the past that we're going to try to sit on the lead, and become pathetically predictable. We should have won at least two more games last year, yet we didn't because of philosophy. The philosophy has yet to win a game against a team that we shouldn't beat, but it has lost a lot f games aganst teams that we should beat.
    I for one am sick of it, and want to see things change, if they don't then it IS time for a new direction

Jeffrey A Crawford