Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 98,219, Level: 97
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,536
    Points
    98,219
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 12

    Playoffs for College Football

    "The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season."

    BCS commissioners reach consensus on four-team college football playoff - ESPN

    Getting closer to a reality



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 81,296, Level: 88
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,730
    Points
    81,296
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 0

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    ESPNU had a big special about this talking about how this is a big deal. In reality, we've known this was coming for a while. The only big news left is the selection criteria and method of selection. That's what the big fights will be about.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 33,956, Level: 56
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fairfield
    Posts
    1,086
    Points
    33,956
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    ESPNU had a big special about this talking about how this is a big deal. In reality, we've known this was coming for a while. The only big news left is the selection criteria and method of selection. That's what the big fights will be about.
    the new article on espn says the selection details have been figured out

    "Sources told ESPN that under the recommended model, the four teams would be selected by a committee that would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule."


    I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M FEELING 22!

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    I have an idea that would make things a whole lot easier for the selection comitte... First step, elimate divisions within a conference

    Simplifying the College Football Playoff Picture Ty Webb is My Hero



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 207,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,401
    Points
    207,948
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 87

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by TallKidisTall
    "Sources told ESPN that under the recommended model, the four teams would be selected by a committee that would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule."
    I wished that is how the entire bowl system worked.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,024, Level: 77
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,997
    Points
    62,024
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 109

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    I'm fine with the 4 teams playing for the national title - committee selecting the best 4 to play as well. But why can't the top 2 seeds get home games? I am really in favor of that scenario. Do they really expect fan bases to perhaps play a national semi final game (ex. the Rose bowl)...win it...then travel again in a couple of weeks to say. (Atlanta) for the title game? That is going to get REALLY expensive for the average fan.

    My thought... if the top 2 teams are ranked that way after the "conference championship week" they deserve to host home games the week after. (Thus tying in what most of these directors have been talking about...giving a stronger appeal to the regular season.) Winners to the title game and the losers can play in the Orange Bowl for a consolation game to celebrate their seasons as well. I would rather have that. Plus, would be more cost effective all around.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 24,541, Level: 47
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    855
    Points
    24,541
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    I'm fine with the 4 teams playing for the national title - committee selecting the best 4 to play as well. But why can't the top 2 seeds get home games? I am really in favor of that scenario. Do they really expect fan bases to perhaps play a national semi final game (ex. the Rose bowl)...win it...then travel again in a couple of weeks to say. (Atlanta) for the title game? That is going to get REALLY expensive for the average fan.

    My thought... if the top 2 teams are ranked that way after the "conference championship week" they deserve to host home games the week after. (Thus tying in what most of these directors have been talking about...giving a stronger appeal to the regular season.) Winners to the title game and the losers can play in the Orange Bowl for a consolation game to celebrate their seasons as well. I would rather have that. Plus, would be more cost effective all around.
    Mac Brown said a few days ago on an interview on ESPN Austin that he was against the home game idea because if you lose at home then your kids never get the bowl experience of traveling and playing in a big time stadium, and he thought that was unfair to the kids.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 9,758, Level: 29
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    756
    Points
    9,758
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    I'm fine with the 4 teams playing for the national title - committee selecting the best 4 to play as well. But why can't the top 2 seeds get home games? I am really in favor of that scenario. Do they really expect fan bases to perhaps play a national semi final game (ex. the Rose bowl)...win it...then travel again in a couple of weeks to say. (Atlanta) for the title game? That is going to get REALLY expensive for the average fan.

    My thought... if the top 2 teams are ranked that way after the "conference championship week" they deserve to host home games the week after. (Thus tying in what most of these directors have been talking about...giving a stronger appeal to the regular season.) Winners to the title game and the losers can play in the Orange Bowl for a consolation game to celebrate their seasons as well. I would rather have that. Plus, would be more cost effective all around.
    While I agree with you in that I would also like to see home games, look at the teams who are typically in BCS Championship. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Oregon, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio St, USC, Miami, Nebraska, Florida St, Virginia Tech and Tennessee have made it to the BCS Championship game. Its not like UConn is going to the national championship game and bringing 3,000 fans. I don't think asking team's fans to travel to 2 different bowl sites is going to be an issue most of the time.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 48,100, Level: 67
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CYCLNST8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,368
    Points
    48,100
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 301

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by synapticwave View Post
    Mac Brown said a few days ago on an interview on ESPN Austin that he was against the home game idea because if you lose at home then your kids never get the bowl experience of traveling and playing in a big time stadium, and he thought that was unfair to the kids.
    Losers get to go to a bowl game as well. Keep in mind this would be after conference championship week. That system makes way more sense to me as well.




  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 34,586, Level: 57
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,632
    Points
    34,586
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 65

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Well get ready to hear about how the Big10 and SEC should get two teams every year. No matter how they slice it, the committee will have a heavy lean to those two conferences.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 59,134, Level: 75
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 916
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,512
    Points
    59,134
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 57

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Please don't play a consolation game. Please. Would anyone even want to play in a consolation game? Maybe graduating seniors, and that's it.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 160,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,484
    Points
    160,011
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 407

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    Well get ready to hear about how the Big10 and SEC should get two teams every year. No matter how they slice it, the committee will have a heavy lean to those two conferences.
    Big 12 and Pac 12 fans/coaches/ads/commissioners who favor a selection committee over the BCS rankings are completely insane.

    Those two conferences consistently do better in every computer poll than they do in voter polls. Sometimes as signifcantly as 10-15 spots better and practically never worse.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 9,758, Level: 29
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    756
    Points
    9,758
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    Well get ready to hear about how the Big10 and SEC should get two teams every year. No matter how they slice it, the committee will have a heavy lean to those two conferences.
    I don't think anyone has ever said the B1G should get 2 teams (at least not that I've seen). The whole debate on whether it should be only conference champions was completely about the SEC, especially since Bama and LSU was just this past season.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 164,346, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,185
    Points
    164,346
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by TallKidIsTall View Post
    the new article on espn says the selection details have been figured out

    "Sources told ESPN that under the recommended model, the four teams would be selected by a committee that would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule."

    so the SEC would never make it......???




    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,469, Level: 77
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,469
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Playoffs for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by CLONECONES View Post
    so the SEC would never make it......???
    No doubt, Alabama played a **** poor schedule this past year. No jimlad needed either, I mean that.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM