Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

Organic Fruit

I am in the middle of trading my old crap eating life style with a new one. I work out regularly and eat well also. However, I wanted to start eating Organic Fruit but i am reading up on it. No only is it not healthier than normal fruit. It costs twice as much and it's lowering the amount of produce for the world.

Am I missing something on this? I am not really sure why everyone is so impressed with this Organic stuff. Everything I have read from neutral parties and scientists say it is not any more healthy than anything else. So what gives?

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 64

Re: Organic Fruit

You're gonna love the way this one turns out..

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

They arent impressed. They made a choice to eat organic. Noone forced them too and its not a crime. If you dont care about organic eating, then dont buy it. Easy.

Starter
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I am in the middle of trading my old crap eating life style with a new one. I work out regularly and eat well also. However, I wanted to start eating Organic Fruit but i am reading up on it. No only is it not healthier than normal fruit. It costs twice as much and it's lowering the amount of produce for the world.

Am I missing something on this? I am not really sure why everyone is so impressed with this Organic stuff. Everything I have read from neutral parties and scientists say it is not any more healthy than anything else. So what gives?

Before things get crazy...or excuse me "cray"

The "reason" behind eating organic fruit in particular is the know issue of fruit absorbing pesticides more than other produce. The skin is typically thinner and more susceptible to absorption added to the fact that fruity also has a much higher water content. The plant is taking a lot of what it is absorbing from its surroundings and holding it in the fruit.

If there is anything I try to focus on buying organic it is fruit. Not for the added nutrients...but for what is NOT found in it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 25

I don't buy organic fruit because I care more about the environment than I do myself.

CyBer

Organic stuff tastes good, but I don't really care if it's more healthy or not.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 25

Check out the Penn & Teller BS episode on organic food.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Stay at home moms, driving their suburbans to super target, buying organic only so they feel like they're a better parent then the mom next door. Even though their kid will go home and eat dirt from their chemically treated lawn, put their hands all over the toilet seats and inhale more chemicals from the lysol being sprayed around the house then they'd ever ingest from non organic apples and oranges.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by CyOps View Post
    Check out the Penn & Teller BS episode on organic food.
    Good show, but they have a hidden agenda for most of their shows. Not saying that's a bad thing, but they don't like to show both sides to the story only one.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    Stay at home moms, driving their suburbans to super target, buying organic only so they feel like they're a better parent then the mom next door. Even though their kid will go home and eat dirt from their chemically treated lawn, put their hands all over the toilet seats and inhale more chemicals from the lysol being sprayed around the house then they'd ever ingest from non organic apples and oranges.
    I think most parents think of ingestion as something more powerful than other things even if it's not. Something about the process of eating something.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 164

Its simple, if Im a struggling farmer and cant keep up with the times, I switch to organic because I know that the perception is that its better which it obviously isnt. Everybody buys into the misinformation and propaganda that has been pushed at you for the last several years and they make a killing. Sell an inferior product at a premium price? sign me up.

It reminds me of tommy boy. take a **** in a box and slap a guarantee on it, all you end up with is a guaranteed piece of ****.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Its simple, if Im a struggling farmer and cant keep up with the times, I switch to organic because I know that the perception is that its better which it obviously isnt. Everybody buys into the misinformation and propaganda that has been pushed at you for the last several years and they make a killing. Sell an inferior product at a premium price? sign me up.

It reminds me of tommy boy. take a **** in a box and slap a guarantee on it, all you end up with is a guaranteed piece of ****.
    I was thinking that you could get a good look at a butchers *** by sticking your......wait.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

I pretty much agree with everyone on here. I actually wanted to start eating it because everyone thinks it's great. Now I think it's really stupid and would never eat it.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

fear based marketing is the foundation of this movement

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 179

Depends on whether you care if pesticides enter your/your family's body. Check out these links, particularly re: non-organic foods without pesticides.

Foods heavy in pesticides:

Dirty Dozen: EWG Reveals List Of Pesticide-Heavy Fruits And Veggies

Foods without pesticides (no need to buy organic):

Pesticide Free

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials