Warrior Dash 2012
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Warrior Dash 2012

    Fellow Fanatics - I did something stupid on Saturday and signed up for the Warrior Dash in Earlham, IA on July 14th. I am not a runner, and never have been, but have always thought an event like this would be fun to try. I began my training program on Sunday and have been pleased with the couple of runs I have gotten in since then.

    Anyone else doing this event? For future events in Iowa, maybe we could get a CF warrior squadron together!

    I only have a short time period to train but does anyone have some good quick tips or suggestions? My plan is to get to the point where I feel pretty good about running 3 miles or so and also get in some other general strength training.

    Warrior Dash | Home



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 49,839, Level: 69
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,311
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,880
    Points
    49,839
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 154

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Good luck, have fun! I did it in Colorado a few years ago and felt it was a glorified 5k with obstacles, but still very fun. Highly suggest costumes. When you're ready for a whole new challenge, check out Tough Mudder.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 22,264, Level: 45
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CYKID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    1,015
    Points
    22,264
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    I'm doing it and I just had back surgery ten weeks ago. I've never run a 5k before but it looks like we will only be running short distances between obstacles and I don't plan on winning the thing so there will be time to stop and wait. Since I am not supposed to run yet I plan on riding my bike heavily for the next month and building up my cardio. I should probably start that tonight. It should be a blast.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    Good luck, have fun! I did it in Colorado a few years ago and felt it was a glorified 5k with obstacles, but still very fun. Highly suggest costumes. When you're ready for a whole new challenge, check out Tough Mudder.
    I saw the Tough Mudder! Don't think I will ever get to that point!!!

    I am more into obstacles than running, anyway, so I think this will be enjoyable.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKID View Post
    I'm doing it and I just had back surgery ten weeks ago. I've never run a 5k before but it looks like we will only be running short distances between obstacles and I don't plan on winning the thing so there will be time to stop and wait. Since I am not supposed to run yet I plan on riding my bike heavily for the next month and building up my cardio. I should probably start that tonight. It should be a blast.
    Are you doing the event in Iowa?

    I had the same thought that it is broken up nicely between obstacles. I checked the times from the Illinois event this past weekend and there are a lot of people in the 1.5 hour range. I figure I can walk the thing in 1.5 hours [famous last words!].



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 38,396, Level: 60
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    andybernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,616
    Points
    38,396
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 25

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKID View Post
    I'm doing it and I just had back surgery ten weeks ago. I've never run a 5k before but it looks like we will only be running short distances between obstacles and I don't plan on winning the thing so there will be time to stop and wait. Since I am not supposed to run yet I plan on riding my bike heavily for the next month and building up my cardio. I should probably start that tonight. It should be a blast.
    I did it last year near St. Louis and will be doing it again in Earlham. I assumed the run would be nicely broken up, too. However, I'm not quite positive on the distance but nearly half of the run is at the beginning before any obstacles. That was the worst part for me.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by andybernard View Post
    I did it last year near St. Louis and will be doing it again in Earlham. I assumed the run would be nicely broken up, too. However, I'm not quite positive on the distance but nearly half of the run is at the beginning before any obstacles. That was the worst part for me.
    Yep - looked like the longest leg was before you really got to any real obstacles.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    I am in the 4:30 flight (last flight of the day).

    @andybernard and @cykid what flights are you in?



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 12,042, Level: 33
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclonesurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    734
    Points
    12,042
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 86

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    i am doing the run with the wife and 2 sisters. i will be the one with an iowa state shirt and hairy shoulders. i am just wondering if i will get sucked into the beer garden before my 2:30 start.

    just remember its for the kids, benefits St Judes hospital.


    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 22,264, Level: 45
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CYKID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    1,015
    Points
    22,264
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by JBone84 View Post
    Are you doing the event in Iowa?

    I had the same thought that it is broken up nicely between obstacles. I checked the times from the Illinois event this past weekend and there are a lot of people in the 1.5 hour range. I figure I can walk the thing in 1.5 hours [famous last words!].
    Yeah 11:30 am. Should be fun. I saw the long start as well but figured I could always walk. There will be a mad dash to the front which will leave plenty of running room for the old and fat like me.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 123,587, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,518
    Points
    123,587
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 1,102

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    I did MPLS last year and am doing the Iowa one this year. It's a good time for sure.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonesurveyor View Post
    i am doing the run with the wife and 2 sisters. i will be the one with an iowa state shirt and hairy shoulders. i am just wondering if i will get sucked into the beer garden before my 2:30 start.

    just remember its for the kids, benefits St Judes hospital.
    Exactly - I'm going to cross that finish line and pound that beer and turkey leg for the kids.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKID View Post
    Yeah 11:30 am. Should be fun. I saw the long start as well but figured I could always walk. There will be a mad dash to the front which will leave plenty of running room for the old and fat like me.
    That's what I'm counting on, too!



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonesurveyor View Post
    i am doing the run with the wife and 2 sisters. i will be the one with an iowa state shirt and hairy shoulders. i am just wondering if i will get sucked into the beer garden before my 2:30 start.

    just remember its for the kids, benefits St Judes hospital.
    What flight are you in?



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,891, Level: 29
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CYclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    232
    Points
    9,891
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

    Re: Warrior Dash 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    Good luck, have fun! I did it in Colorado a few years ago and felt it was a glorified 5k with obstacles, but still very fun. Highly suggest costumes. When you're ready for a whole new challenge, check out Tough Mudder.
    Love Tough Mudder!!! I was messy, tired, bruised and battered. Loved every moment of it and can't wait to do it again.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM