Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 56

Pet Owner Advice - My Dog Bitten By Another Dog

Looking for some advice from fellow dog owners. (long)

Wife and I took off for four days last weekend to go to a wedding, asked a friend and old roommate to watch our two dogs, since our dogs all get along and she was willing. We often watch each others' dogs typically for a couple beers at happy hour, since we return the favor.

At one point this weekend she had some people over, several who had dogs, and the dogs got into a fight. My dogs are 99.9% of the time not aggressive, but I do realize any of them can start a fight. (I don't want to be that guy that says my dog would NEVER bite another, just saying it's very unlikely). Anyhow, my 60lb lab mix got bitten very badly in her face and back. All of the people were inside when the fight got started, so it wasn't exactly clear which dog did the damage, but our friend mentioned that it was likely "X's dog". After realizing how bad the wound was (and getting permission from us), our friend took our dog to the animal hospital (it was a Sunday) to get stitched up. I figured originally it could be a couple hundred dollar deal, but the wound was so deep in her back that they put four stitches in and two drain tubes to prevent any abcesses from occurring. Hospital bill was in the $600 range, and that's not counting what more it will be to get the tubes and stitches out.

Our friend felt super bad about the situation and offered to pay for it, but we told her we'd take care of it. The way I look at it, dogs fight, and don't consider our friend to be blamed. However, I do believe that it is a dog owner's responsibility to either make sure their dogs are tame enough to be let alone, or keep a closer eye on it. My wife and I are considering contacting the other person with the aggressive dog, to ask if they'd pitch in for the bills. If our dog bit another dog this bad, there's no doubt we would take responsibility. However, the situation is a difficult one because nobody specifically saw this dog do the damage. Also, we don't want to create a difficult situation for our friend, who most certainly is in the middle of it. Not sure if that will be possible.

Suggestions? Sorry for the long post, but unsure the best way to handle this.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Re: Pet Owner Advice - My Dog Bitten By Another Dog

if my dog did the biting, it would be getting put down. unacceptable. not hard to train a dog that is not okay. my dog might eat every dead animal it comes across but it won't bark and it won't bite.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

1) your friend did invite the people and their dogs over and mixed the dogs unsupervised 2) you chose who would sit your pets,..... 3) pay the vet, suck it up and move on. You made a bad choice on who watches your dogs. The blame lies squarely on you.

Last edited by rebecacy; 06-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post

Wife and I took off for four days last weekend to go to a wedding, asked a friend and old roommate to watch our two dogs, since our dogs all get along and she was willing. We often watch each others' dogs typically for a couple beers at happy hour, since we return the favor.

At one point this weekend she had some people over, several who had dogs, and the dogs got into a fight. My dogs are 99.9% of the time not aggressive, but I do realize any of them can start a fight. (I don't want to be that guy that says my dog would NEVER bite another, just saying it's very unlikely). Anyhow, my 60lb lab mix got bitten very badly in her face and back. All of the people were inside when the fight got started, so it wasn't exactly clear which dog did the damage, but our friend mentioned that it was likely "X's dog". After realizing how bad the wound was (and getting permission from us), our friend took our dog to the animal hospital (it was a Sunday) to get stitched up. I figured originally it could be a couple hundred dollar deal, but the wound was so deep in her back that they put four stitches in and two drain tubes to prevent any abcesses from occurring. Hospital bill was in the $600 range, and that's not counting what more it will be to get the tubes and stitches out.

Our friend felt super bad about the situation and offered to pay for it, but we told her we'd take care of it. The way I look at it, dogs fight, and don't consider our friend to be blamed. However, I do believe that it is a dog owner's responsibility to either make sure their dogs are tame enough to be let alone, or keep a closer eye on it. My wife and I are considering contacting the other person with the aggressive dog, to ask if they'd pitch in for the bills. If our dog bit another dog this bad, there's no doubt we would take responsibility. However, the situation is a difficult one because nobody specifically saw this dog do the damage. Also, we don't want to create a difficult situation for our friend, who most certainly is in the middle of it. Not sure if that will be possible.

If no one has proof than there is nothing you can do about it, sorry man.

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 238

Let me guess. The other dog was a pit bull

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up

I would definitely not contact the alleged dog owner. Put yourself in their shoes. What if someone called you up and started blaming your dog for something she may or may not have done. Since there are no eyewitness accounts, I would just swallow the bill and not let it happen again. It sucks but **** happens when you own a dog and sometimes that **** gets really expensive.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 149

Leave the dogs at home if she's going to have a party. Who brings their dog to a party? Leave that .......... at home.

Pro
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    1) your friend did invited the people and their dogs over and mixed the dogs unsupervised 2) you chose who would sit your pets,..... 3) pay the vet, suck it up and move on. You made a bad choice on who watches your dogs. The blame lies squarely on you.
    I disagree. If the OP didn't open the door for a doggie party, the sitters own some of the blame.

However, since the OP has already let them off the hook, then I don't think there's much recourse.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I would definitely not contact the alleged dog owner. Put yourself in their shoes. What if someone called you up and started blaming your dog for something she may or may not have done. Since there are no eyewitness accounts, I would just swallow the bill and not let it happen again. It sucks but **** happens when you own a dog and sometimes that **** gets really expensive.
    Dogs :(.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius View Post
    I disagree. If the OP didn't open the door for a doggie party, the sitters own some of the blame.

However, since the OP has already let them off the hook, then I don't think there's much recourse.
    Who brings their dogs to a party? A night alone for a dog that bad? I guess they can't control where they poo but wooooooooooooooooah. I didn't know people brought their pets to a party, especially with an aggressive dog. It can't be that hard to figure out which one it was. I'd charge them.

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Let me guess. The other dog was a pit bull
    What a stupid, ignorant response.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He is the bigger question why would you need to leave your dog at a friends. My dog does very well on its own when I'm gone.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167

That is too bad. I would be so ****** if it were me. My golden lab is so docile, an aggressive pug could back her in the corner it wanted to. A shepard mix came after my dog on a walk one time because some owner had it's leash off. I boot stomped it into the ground and held it there until the owner came over. I agree with poster above, you know if your dog is dog aggresive. Some one should have known better than to bring a dog aggressive dog around others. I hate those people. Same with dog parks when they bring their ******* dog that starts fights and then they act shocked. "She hasn't done anything like that in a couple months." So of course bringing your dog with a history to an open leash dog park. Brilliant.
    Sorry man, live and learn. Kennel them next time. Not as much fun for the dog but at least you know they will be alive when you come home.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_200m View Post
    What a stupid, ignorant response.
    Not really. Though a pitbull gets a bad rap for being aggressive and dangerous, but a lot of dbags get pitbulls.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 40

What are you going to say when the suspect's owner tells you "I don't think my dog was to blame"? You have no idea what happened back there other than that your dog came out on the short end of the tussle. Unfortunate incident to be sure, but I'm not sure it's worth creating waves among your group of friends, particularly if you ever need a dogsitter in the future.