Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Are surge protectors really worth it?

    I am looking for a new surge protector for my home theater system.

    Do you think that a 10 dollar surge protector does the same good as a 200 dollar one?

    I was looking at Panamax one and really like it, but I guess I wouldn't know until something happened. Anyone have luck with these?

    Panamax - 9-Outlet Rack-Mountable Power Conditioner/ Surge Protector - M4300-PM



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 57,704, Level: 74
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,190
    Points
    57,704
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 487

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    you're joking right?

    no.


    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 729,693, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,387
    Points
    729,693
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,261
    Given: 625

    Re:Are surge protectors really worth it?

    The cheap ones do little to nothing for you. Not sure I would drop $200 though. Maybe in the $50 range.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    you're joking right?

    no.
    About what question?

    10 vs 200? No, HDMI cables are like that as well.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 206,137, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,470
    Points
    206,137
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 367

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    I have some pretty expensive equipment (expensive to me) hooked up to relatively cheap power strips. I would spend up to $50 for the right one that had a lot of space but not a cent more.

    You have to have a pretty decent one to fit some of those massive plugs these things come with.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I have some pretty expensive equipment (expensive to me) hooked up to relatively cheap power strips. I would spend up to $50 for the right one that had a lot of space but not a cent more.

    You have to have a pretty decent one to fit some of those massive plugs these things come with.

    What brand do you have?



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 206,137, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,470
    Points
    206,137
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 367

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy4Patriots View Post
    What brand do you have?
    I have my sub hooked to a Belkin, which is really nice for the price.

    I'm embarrassed to say that I just went downstairs and saw that I actually have my A/V stuff hooked to a monster strip. The only reason I have this is because I had a 50% off monster as long as you spent more than $50. So I got a $60 power strip for $30. I wouldn't have bought it without that coupon. So in summary, I like the Belkin.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 648,997, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,043
    Points
    648,997
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,651
    Given: 164

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy4Patriots View Post
    About what question?

    10 vs 200? No, HDMI cables are like that as well.
    You're a Best Buy employee's wet dream.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 81,876, Level: 88
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,830
    Points
    81,876
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 0

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    $50 sounds about right. I've always liked belkin. You can get much better prices online from amazon or newegg. I usually like monoprice for cables, but I don't trust them for surge protectors. That's just my preference though, no reason behind it.

    What you want to avoid is the BS the high end ones talk about with electrical noise reduction or whatever. Almost all electronics are digital now so any noise from an electric input is meaningless.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 206,137, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,470
    Points
    206,137
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 367

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    It looks like the one you're looking at is a lot more than a surge protector. Your paying for the power conditioner . If you go to A/V web sites you find two opinions. Either they are a waste of money or if you're only spending $300 on one than it's not good.

    I would try a mid level urge protector and if you not have any noise issues through you're wiring than stick with it.

    When I had my home theater done I had all my stuff put on a separate circuit.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    You're a Best Buy employee's wet dream.
    I have bought one thing at Best Buy ever. I buy everything online and research it thoroughly before I purchase.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 188,243, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,492
    Points
    188,243
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 113

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Here is why you buy the good ones

    ******* backs this model of surge protector with industry-best Lifetime Product and Connected Equipment Warranties.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  13. #13
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy4Patriots View Post
    Do you think that a 10 dollar surge protector does the same good as a 200 dollar one?
    Scams are so easy to promote because so many think price determines quality. The informed consumer views manufacturer spec numbers. Often a $70 protector has a protector circuit equivalent to what sells in Wal-Mart for $7. Monster has a long history of identifying scams. Then selling an equivalent product for even higher prices.


    Learn simple layman concepts. Destructive surges can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that Panamax claim to absorb? A protector adjacent to appliances can only do two things. Either absorb that energy. Or block the current. How does a 2 cm part inside that power strip stop what three miles of sky could not?

    These questions are damning because numbers are required. Any answer without numbers demonstrates how easy retail scams are promoted by only increasing its price.

    Now, move on to what always exists in every facility that cannot have damage. As in always. One 'whole house' protector is properly earthed. 'Earthed' is the most critically important word in that sentence. Summarizes things far more important requirements. Such as the connection from the protector to earth ground rod must be low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet').

    What does a Panamax and some 'obscene profit' protector not discuss? Earthing. Where is the always required and dedicated wire to make that earthing connection? Does not exist.

    View solutions from far more responsible companies. Names that any 'guy' knows for their reputation. Such as Siemens, General Electric, Leviton, ABB, Polyphaser, Square D, or Intermatic. These protectors even have numbers that say it will earth direct lightning strikes. And remain functional. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

    But that is only a protector. Simple science. Your protection is defined by what harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Single point earth ground. That is what most every paragraph must ask about because that (and not a protector) is the 'art' of protection.

    Meanwhile, the naive believe cost defines better quality. So Monster, et al can sell that $7 Wal-Mart protector for $70 or $200.

    A simple layman concept. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground – which the Panamax does not have and will not discuss.


    Last edited by westom; 06-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 122,046, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    IowaStateClones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,098
    Points
    122,046
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 44

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by westom View Post
    Scams are so easy to promote because so many think price determines quality. The informed consumer views manufacturer spec numbers. Often a $70 protector has a protector circuit equivalent to what sells in Wal-Mart for $7. Monster has a long history of identifying scams. Then selling an equivalent product for even higher prices.

    Learn simple layman concepts. Destructive surges can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that Panamax claim to absorb? A protector adjacent to appliances can only do two things. Either absorb that energy. Or block the current. How does a 2 cm part inside that power strip stop what three miles of sky could not?

    These questions are damning because numbers are required. Any answer without numbers demonstrates how easy retail scams are promoted by only increasing its price.

    Now, move on to what always exists in every facility that cannot have damage. As in always. One 'whole house' protector is properly earthed. 'Earthed' is the most critically important word in that sentence. Summarizes things far more important requirements. Such as the connection from the protector to earth ground rod must be low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet').

    What does a Panamax and some 'obscene profit' protector not discuss? Earthing. Where is the always required and dedicated wire to make that earthing connection? Does not exist.

    View solutions from far more responsible companies. Names that any 'guy' knows for their reputation. Such as Siemens, General Electric, Leviton, ABB, Polyphaser, Square D, or Intermatic. These protectors even have numbers that say it will earth direct lightning strikes. And remain functional. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

    But that is only a protector. Simple science. Your protection is defined by what harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Single point earth ground. That is what most every paragraph must ask about because that (and not a protector) is the 'art' of protection.

    Meanwhile, the naive believe cost defines better quality. So Monster, et al can sell that $7 Wal-Mart protector for $70 or $200.

    A simple layman concept. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground – which the Panamax does not have and will not discuss.
    It blocks the current flow into the device.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 479,514, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,081
    Points
    479,514
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 468

    Re: Are surge protectors really worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by westom;2907089[COLOR=black
    How does a 2 cm part inside that power strip stop what three miles of sky could not?[/COLOR]
    Probably for the same reason that 20 miles of electrical cable doesn't stop it - extreme conductivity (or, at the very least in the sky's purpose, no resistance properties). If the sky were a resistor, lightning probably wouldn't exist in the first place.

    You mock a 2 cm resistor inside of a power strip, but think what even smaller resistors on a circuit board are capable of.

    Now, I don't disagree with your statement about buying a $200 power strip, but if you think that a $7 power strip is the same as a $50 power strip, I laugh. The only thing a $7 power strip is good for is providing you more outlets. If you're looking for protection from a $7 power strip you might as well plug your electronics straight into the wall.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 02:30 PM