www.kansascity.com | 10/27/2007 | Kansas State wallops Baylor

Posted on Sat, Oct. 27, 2007 10:15 PM

Kansas State wallops Baylor
By HOWARD RICHMAN

The Kansas City Star

Josh Freeman gave the Wildcats an early lead with his 1-yard touchdown run midway through the first quarter.
MANHATTAN, Kan. | No need for Band-Aids with Kansas State senior wide receiver Jordy Nelson on the team. He can single-handedly cover any nasty wounds.
Nelson, as has become his custom, displayed another surge of electricity for the Wildcats, and they sure needed it in what was developing as an ugly Saturday at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Nelson capped a magical afternoon with a 92-yard punt return for a touchdown, buoying slow-starting K-State to a 51-13 thumping of Baylor in front of 45,959 fans.
“What Jordy Nelson is about, and I don’t want to put him in an unfair position, but he’s everything you’d like your son to be, he’s everything you’d want every college football player to be,” K-State coach Ron Prince said.
Nelson’s fourth-quarter reception, one of eight against the Bears, set a school single-season record of 76, passing Darnell McDonald’s record set in 1998 by one. But it was a third-quarter, one-handed grab that went for 31 yards that had people talking. That catch aided a 21-point explosion in a span of 7 minutes, 46 seconds for K-State.
Face it: Jordy’s in a zone.
“It’s a lot of fun right now,” said Nelson, who caught a 6-yard TD pass and had 105 receiving yards. “I don’t know how that worked (the one-hander).”
As for the record, Nelson isn’t consumed by it.
“Nothing right now,” Nelson said when asked what it means. “We got the win, which is big and keeps us in the chase. That’s what we’re all worried about.”
K-State, 5-3 overall and 3-2 in the Big 12, had enough to worry about in a first half in which it tripped all over itself. That includes going zero for nine on third-down conversions.
The Wildcats held a 16-6 halftime lead that could’ve been so much more. Prince let his players know at the break he wasn’t happy. “I can’t repeat what I said,” Prince said. “It’s not appropriate. I was probably a little bit out of line.”
That’s because Prince thought the Wildcats’ recent stretch, including Kansas and the close loss at Oklahoma State, took its toll.
“We were pretty tired coming into this week,” he said. “You could see it in practice. We were not at our best.”
But Baylor, 3-6 and 0-5, wasn’t good enough to take advantage. The Bears used three quarterbacks and committed seven turnovers, with three of them resulting in 17 K-State points. K-State QB Josh Freeman pounded the Bears in his own fashion, throwing for three scores and rushing for two, the first from 1 yard on an option keeper.
“Anytime you turn the ball over that many times, it’s hard to overcome that, certainly with the lack of confidence that this football team has at this particular point,” said Baylor coach Guy Morriss, whose Bears dropped their fourth straight.
For the third time this season, K-State recorded five sacks in a game. Clayton Cox, who led the Wildcats with eight tackles, had two of them.
But the buzz centered on Nelson, whose achievements never cease to amaze those closest to him.
“I said to somebody when he made that (one-handed) catch today, ‘If anything, that play’s going to get him drafted,’ ” K-State senior free safety Marcus Watts said. “I hope he’ll get some national attention because he deserves it.”