Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 16

GPS Running Watch

Did a brief search for a thread on this, and didn't see anything, so feel free to link me to one if this has been discussed before.

I feel like we have quite a few on this board, so for all the fellow runners out there, I've gone through a couple cheap sports watches in the past few months to time my runs, and my last one just crapped out. I'm in the market for a nicer GPS running watch, as I want to have something reliable that will make it easier to keep track of my work outs.

Have any of you guys had experience with one of these? I'm new to the market, but the couple I've looked at are Nike Plus and Garmin. Nike looks flashier with more features, but pricier, and Garmin seems more basic from my first impressions.

Basically, I'm looking for a watch that will automatically record mileage, calories burned, etc. that I can input into my computer through Map My Run, or some other program. Not interested in buying something that needs some fancy shoes to go with it (I'll stick with my Brooks Adrenaline shoes) and probably don't want to spend more than $200. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, TIA.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: GPS Running Watch

I got the Nike Sportwatch GPS for Christmas last years and I have really put some mileage on it. After your done running you just plug the watch in to your laptop and you can see the ins and outs of your run. Everything you want. You can also put certain achievements on there that make you want to strive for your goals.

Twitter: @HBforTHREE

Dont worry about the horse being blind-- Just load the wagon.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 297
    Given: 191

I use Nike plus through my Ipod. Works great for me, it records everything online and allows you to track your progress easily. Variances in pace throughout the run is what really interests me. I've noticed that I start strong, fade in the middle, and kick it fairly hard at the end of my runs. Now I suppose my challenge is to address my middle of the run fading.

Anyway, the way I use it doesn't use GPS like you mentioned. From what I can gather though, you can if you use your iphone or a sports watch for GPS.

So from my experience, I can tell you that Nike plus is a good platform.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Got a Garmin Forerunner 205 4 years ago and it's still going strong. Use it for running, biking and walking with individual settings for each. It's lasted a lot longer than I expected. All LCD with time, pace, and distance on-screen for running. It can be customized a lot more than I ever bothered with. Paid $169 when I got it. I can only imagine how much smaller and more advanced they have become since mine was released.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by BCoffClone125 View Post
    Did a brief search for a thread on this, and didn't see anything, so feel free to link me to one if this has been discussed before.

I feel like we have quite a few on this board, so for all the fellow runners out there, I've gone through a couple cheap sports watches in the past few months to time my runs, and my last one just crapped out. I'm in the market for a nicer GPS running watch, as I want to have something reliable that will make it easier to keep track of my work outs.

Have any of you guys had experience with one of these? I'm new to the market, but the couple I've looked at are Nike Plus and Garmin. Nike looks flashier with more features, but pricier, and Garmin seems more basic from my first impressions.

Basically, I'm looking for a watch that will automatically record mileage, calories burned, etc. that I can input into my computer through Map My Run, or some other program. Not interested in buying something that needs some fancy shoes to go with it (I'll stick with my Brooks Adrenaline shoes) and probably don't want to spend more than $200. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, TIA.
    I think my Garmin is great, but then again, I'm on crutches right now as I got distracted by all the display functions while running Sunday and sprained my ankle.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm all over the "MapMyRun" suite of apps and run them on my android phone. I think the fuel bands and Nike + devices of the world are cool... but why do I need them when I have my smartphone?

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 201

I have a garmin 205. Got it several years ago. Hard to run without it now. I don't use it for calories burned so I don't know how accurate that is. I would think you would need a heart rate monitor to get accurate calories. And some garmin watches will do that.

Tells me distance and pace, which is what I want it for. Really helpful when traveling - don't need to drive around in a car to measure a route - and for interval training like mile repeats or tempo runs.

I love it. Would recommend. And would buy one again.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 73

Right now I'm running with a Garmin 305. It's a good watch - as others have mentioned, it's hard to run without it now. Plus, since I'm a data-loving engineer, I like the heart rate monitor as well as the cycling information you can get with the add-on kit.

The newer Garmin watches will automatically sync when you get back from your run (provided you've got a wireless network). For mine, I still have to plug it in and download the information.

When this one craps out, I'll go back with another Garmin.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Forerunner 210 without a Heart Rate monitor is $200 on Amazon. It has more features than the Nike watch. The Garmin Connect website is generally regarded as "more thorough" from a data analysis standpoint but is perhaps a little less user friendly. I'd get the FR210 but the Nike will probably serve your purposes. Don't bother with anything outside Garmin and Nike as cheaper companies' online presence is normally sub-par.

Check out incredibly in depth reviews of all running watches here: DCRainmaker Blog

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 26

Map My Run app for your iphone/droid. That is all I use anymore.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Map My Run app for your iphone/droid. That is all I use anymore.
    I'm a frequent runner and do a couple 20k races per year. I've gone to my phone as well in place of gps watch. It's practically free. I use the run keeper app but there are several out there. With the phone, my history and mapping is all done and stored automatically. Plus, I use it for music while I run. Save your money and use your phone. Jst buy a nice waist or arm band carry case.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Walk On
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by resident View Post
    Forerunner 210 without a Heart Rate monitor is $200 on Amazon. It has more features than the Nike watch. The Garmin Connect website is generally regarded as "more thorough" from a data analysis standpoint but is perhaps a little less user friendly. I'd get the FR210 but the Nike will probably serve your purposes. Don't bother with anything outside Garmin and Nike as cheaper companies' online presence is normally sub-par.

Check out incredibly in depth reviews of all running watches here: DCRainmaker Blog
    Yup, check out DCRainmaker. He'll give you a more thorough review than you could ever want. I also agree, it sounds like the 210 (or even 110) would be the watch for you. I disagree completely with the other people who are saying the Nike+ stuff is more user friendly. I've found the garmin 110 to be as simple as it gets. Press 1 button to get satellites, press another to start your run, press it again to stop your run. Then connect your watch to your computer, upload to garmin connect (free) and you'll have all of the data you'd want. I believe the 210 has features for intervals and more customization, but if 'stupid-simple' is what you're looking for, the 110 may be the watch for you.