Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 404

Should read this if your paying extra on your montly school loan payments

Just FYI so the loan company doesn't screw you over, it would have helped if I had this info earlier.

With my private student loans I've been paying extra on the monthly bill for awhile. Well after taking some time to look into my billing statement they have been taking the extra money and applying it towards future payments and not putting anything towards my principle.

When I sent in a large payment to the gov't for my Stafford loans I caught them ignoring my instructions to apply all of the payment to the smaller of my two loans, and they were splitting the payment in a way to guarantee the most possible interest from me.

Again just FYI for current students and people still paying off their loans, after asking around I know I wasn't the only person unaware of this. Student loan debt is hard enough to get out of without the loan company pulling this stuff.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,294
    Given: 635

Re: Should read this if your paying extra on your montly school loan payments

Regents want to eliminate tuition set-aside for student aid within five years | TheGazette

You may also be happy to learn that 21% of that loan will only go to pay other student's tuition for the next five years, and then they'll cut that out.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

Wow they really jobbed you on that one. I bet most people would not even think to look. If they change it that will save you quite a bit i'd imagine.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,310
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

I think most times you have to tell them you want it to go to principle. Same thing happens with my wifes car loan, but its a 0% loan, so no biggie. Thankfully I just paid off the last of my loans, a month or two ago, just now have my damn wifes grad school loans.

Last edited by ripvdub; 06-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    #BEATIOWA

Addict
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 414
    Given: 340

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Regents want to eliminate tuition set-aside for student aid within five years | TheGazette

You may also be happy to learn that 21% of that loan will only go to pay other student's tuition for the next five years, and then they'll cut that out.
    So if you are in school right now (like me) you are basically screwed to pay the extra tuition that the students 5 years from now won't have to pay? What a joke. Current students should get part of their federal loans forgiven because of this.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    So if you are in school right now (like me) you are basically screwed to pay the extra tuition that the students 5 years from now won't have to pay? What a joke. Current students should get part of their federal loans forgiven because of this.
    As my dad told me when I was 5 years old as I was bellyaching about something trivial -- "Son, life's not fair." My disappointment was like getting socks for Christmas.

But he was right.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,294
    Given: 635

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Yep. I'm curious if this could be the basis for a lawsuit.

Walk On
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

I noticed this too. I paid ~150% of a required payment. Next month, the required payment was about half size. I paid the same amount as the prior month. Then the next month the required payment was $0.00.

Good info to know.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

So if you talk to the lender can you get them to apply it to the principle or do they try to get out of doing that?

Legend
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,127
    Given: 1,117

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    Just FYI so the loan company doesn't screw you over, it would have helped if I had this info earlier.

With my private student loans I've been paying extra on the monthly bill for awhile. Well after taking some time to look into my billing statement they have been taking the extra money and applying it towards future payments and not putting anything towards my principle.

When I sent in a large payment to the gov't for my Stafford loans I caught them ignoring my instructions to apply all of the payment to the smaller of my two loans, and they were splitting the payment in a way to guarantee the most possible interest from me.

Again just FYI for current students and people still paying off their loans, after asking around I know I wasn't the only person unaware of this. Student loan debt is hard enough to get out of without the loan company pulling this stuff.

Did it still appear that your total amount was going down though? I ask because I pay well over my minimum, and I see each month that the total I owe on all my loans is going down. I rarely go in and look at where the money is going - but I think in the past I've seen that a portion goes to interest and a portion to principle....which now I think I need to clarify with them that I want that all on the principle.

Legend
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,127
    Given: 1,117

Quote Originally Posted by risiusj View Post
    I noticed this too. I paid ~150% of a required payment. Next month, the required payment was about half size. I paid the same amount as the prior month. Then the next month the required payment was $0.00.

Good info to know.

ohhhhhhhhhh, ok, I think I understand this now - I have mine set up to autopay a specific amount each month. So even if they are applying it forward, it shouldn't matter. Because even if my required payment is $0, I'm still paying x per month.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 911
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    Did it still appear that your total amount was going down though? I ask because I pay well over my minimum, and I see each month that the total I owe on all my loans is going down. I rarely go in and look at where the money is going - but I think in the past I've seen that a portion goes to interest and a portion to principle....which now I think I need to clarify with them that I want that all on the principle.
    Yes the principle did appear to be going down, which is why it took me awhile to realize what was happening. I didn't do the math each month because I was assuming all extra went to principle.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 911
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    So if you talk to the lender can you get them to apply it to the principle or do they try to get out of doing that?
    I'll find out once I'm off work, pretty sure they will apply it how I want them too. But by talking to some other people the same thing happens on mortgages and auto loans too, and some of them won't let you put extra money towards principle.

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Yeah the same thing happend to my wifes Iowa Student Loans. You can tell them to apply towards principal and they should. The other confusing thing is some of them will pay back a rebate of some of the origination fee if you pay them back early.