Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 294

I Would Rather have Gene than any of These People

Being passed among Husker fans everywhere, this memo/article asks who might the next coach be at Nebraska. Looking at their list, I would take Gene over any of them:

Who will be the next head football coach at Nebraska?
    Whether Bill Callahan knows it or not, and we bet he does, the Callahan era is over in Lincoln. The focus now turns to who will be the next head football coach at Nebraska, which is one of the best jobs in the game. For anyone that has been to Lincoln, Nebraska on a fall Saturday gameday, they know what a special place it is. There are a few places that a real football coach would want to be at, and only a handful of places rival the Nebraska job in stature, tradition, fan support, and a school where you can win a National Championship on a regular basis. With Tom Osborne taking over as interim AD, there is no doubt that the next head coach will be able to coach the game of football, and we would expect Osborne to looks for an experienced head coach that has led his team(s) to championships. Also a paramount issue for Osborne will be for the new head coach to fit in with the culture in Nebraska and the fans that make the program what it has been during it's history. With those things in mind we turn to Coaches Hot Seat favorites for the next head football coach at Nebraska:

1. Paul Johnson - 10-1: One of the best coaches in the game and a guy that has proved that he can win at every level and can run any offense that fits the players he is presented with. He had a passing attack as an offensive coordinator at Hawaii, he won championships at Georgia Southern, and he has made Navy a competitive football program, which is next to impossible with the type of players he has to recruit to Annapolis. Johnson would more than likely put in an option running attack in Lincoln, and he would reestablish the Nebraska identity as a smash-mouth football program. Johnson is one of the coaches that the other Big 12 coaches would hate to see in Lincoln.
    2. Jim Grobe - 15-1: Probably should have been hired the last time Nebraska was looking for a head coach, and in the interim 4 years he has proved his worth and ability even more. What he has done at Wake Forest is next to incredible, and like Johnson this guy can coach the game of football. He is a good recruiter and his personality fits the Nebraska people to a tee. Understated, modest, but will also field a team that will take no quarter from anyone. Grobe is another one of those coaches that other coaches in the Big 12 would not like to see in Lincoln.
    3. Bo Pelini - 20-1: A former Nebraska assistant that has proved he knows how to coach defense at the highest level of the game. The thing with Pelini is if he can be an effective head coach, and there is only one way to find that out, and the question is if Nebraska would be willing to take a chance on a guy that has never sat in Hot Seat. Pelini understands well the expectations at a place like Nebraska, and he would embrace the Husker fan base which would be a big change from the current coaching staff. Can Nebraska afford to take a chance on Pelini? Tom Osborne was an assistant on the Husker staff when he was the made head coach at Nebraska. Enough said.
    4. Bronco Mendenhall - 40-1: One of the bright young lights in the coaching business, his personality would fit in well on the plains of Nebraska. Mendenhall has done a good job of turning the BYU program around, and he will certainly be someone that will be considered for big-time jobs in the near future. Bronco would embrace the opportunity coach at a place like Nebraska, and no doubt he would put a winning team on the field week in and week out. This would be an outside of the box hire, but a guy that would win big in Lincoln.
    5. Joe Glenn - 50-1: One of the top coaches in the game, Glenn has gotten caught up in the difficulty of coaching at a place like Wyoming. Glenn won one I-AA National Championship at Montana and was a runner-up in another. His approach to the game mirrors Coach Osborne's in many ways, and he was born in Lincoln, Nebraska. If Glenn had taken another job instead of Wyoming, at a place where the opportunity to win games is greater, he would be on the top of Nebraska wish list right now. Glenn would fit well at Nebraska, and he would win big.
    6. Turner Gill - 75-1: A legendary QB for the Cornhuskers, Turner Gill understands the Nebraska football program inside out, and no doubt he will get an interview from Tom Osborne. Coach Gill seems to have the Buffalo program turning around, and if he can keep that program moving up, he will be up for a number of jobs in the coming years. Hiring Gill would be a big chance for Nebraska, because there would be tremendous pressure on him to restore the program pretty quickly, and the people making this decision need to decide if this is a position for a guy that has never been a head coach at his level before. Gill would be an innovative and trail-blazing hire by Nebraska, and he will certainly be a serious candidate for the job.

The real problem for Nebraska is that there is not an obvious perfect hire for the Cornhuskers. The decision on the new coach must be driven by the idea that hiring someone that fits in well in Nebraska is the most important thing, once basic coaching competency is established. Bill Callahan was just a terrible hire for the Cornhuskers, and we have no doubt that Coach Osborne will be looking to bring someone to Lincoln that has all of the following characteristics:

1. Integrity beyond reproach
    2. Understands the demands of coaching at place like Nebraska
    3. Wants to stay at Nebraska for a long time and make this his last job
    4. Is committed to reestablishing Nebraska's football identity as a hard-working, over-achieving, championship goal-setting, and winning football program
    5. Fits in with the fans of the Nebraska football program.

Since a few of us here at Coaches Hot Seat have had the opportunity to spend some time in Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska over the years, we would like to say a few things about the Nebraska fans and people of that state. They are the truest of the true, the steadiest you will ever find, and when you get right down to it, the people of Nebraska are some of the best you will meet anywhere. It says a lot about just what kind of men Pederson and Callahan really are, to have the Cornhusker fans turn against them so vehemently. The Nebraska job is a terrific opportunity for some coach out there, and for that coach that is lucky enough to get that job, if he embraces all that Nebraska is he will come to realize he has got one of the best jobs in the land.

Memo to Coach Osborne: Hire a winner! (We have no doubt you will.)

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

Re: I Would Rather have Gene than any of These People

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    [SIZE=2]1. Integrity beyond reproach
    2. Understands the demands of coaching at place like Nebraska
    3. Wants to stay at Nebraska for a long time and make this his last job
    4. Is committed to reestablishing Nebraska's football identity as a hard-working, over-achieving, championship goal-setting, and winning football program
    5. Fits in with the fans of the Nebraska football program.
    Having lived in Nebraska for a time, let me translate that for the rest of you...

1. Don't get caught!
    2. Realize that football is all people in Nebraska care about, we attach our entire self-worth to this team and it's all we have to look forward to in this crappy state, so if you don't bring home a national championship, we will kill you!
    3. If you do bring us a national championship, we will chain you to Memorial Stadium.
    4. You must never look to the future, please live in the past like the rest of us.
    5. You must be as big of a hick as we are!

Hope that helps!

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

head football coach at Nebraska, which is one of the best jobs in the game.
    Iowa State, one of the toughest jobs in America.
    This is a quote from an earlier post about an article by Tom Dienhart at the Sporting News.

I'm wondering where your article came from.

Seems to me they have it backwards. How many Iowa State coaches have been fired after going 9-3? Or one year after playing in the Big XII championship game?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 180

Bryce the real problem with the nebr job is that if you lose one game a year ...well you cant walk on water or carry dr tom's clipboard and you are a FAILURE!!!

I'm willing to stay with marine gene chizik until dec 2010...if gene cant get me to a bowl game by that time then...gene gotta go and jamie has to get us a football coach who can get us to a bowl game "every freaking year"....THE GREAT ISU FANS DESERVE NO LESS...in my humble opinion!!!

go clones beat those MildCats come saturday...

btw bryce do you live in council bluffs or omaha???...just wondering

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by wyckoff9 View Post
    This is a quote from an earlier post about an article by Tom Dienhart at the Sporting News.

I'm wondering where your article came from.

Seems to me they have it backwards. How many Iowa State coaches have been fired after going 9-3? Or one year after playing in the Big XII championship game?
    I cant ever remember ISU firing a coach for winning more football games than they lost...ISU would love a football coach like frankie solich who gets to the national championship game one season and then goes 9-3 the next season.

Lets not kid ourselves ISU is a tough job ...but majors...bruce and mccarney proved you can win in Ames Iowa and have a good career at ISU!!

Go Cyclones...Lets Ruff-Up the mildcats come saturday

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

I guess there is some confusion between what "the best coaching job in the nation" means and "the coaching job that gets the most media attention".

And by the way, who here really thinks Tom Osborne even knows what it takes to win football games in today's climate? His hiring was solely done to shut the fans up...

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,048
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post
    Having lived in Nebraska for a time, let me translate that for the rest of you...

1. Don't get caught!
    2. Realize that football is all people in Nebraska care about, we attach our entire self-worth to this team and it's all we have to look forward to in this crappy state, so if you don't bring home a national championship, we will kill you!
    3. If you do bring us a national championship, we will chain you to Memorial Stadium.
    4. You must never look to the future, please live in the past like the rest of us.

Hope that helps!

That is hilarious.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 288

Good thing we got Chizik wrapped up when we did.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Bryce the real problem with the nebr job is that if you lose one game a year ...well you cant walk on water or carry dr tom's clipboard and you are a FAILURE!!!

I'm willing to stay with marine gene chizik until dec 2010...if gene cant get me to a bowl game by that time then...gene gotta go and jamie has to get us a football coach who can get us to a bowl game "every freaking year"....THE GREAT ISU FANS DESERVE NO LESS...in my humble opinion!!!

go clones beat those MildCats come saturday...

btw bryce do you live in council bluffs or omaha???...just wondering

I would be glad to ship coach fran up to Lincoln!! and I bet more than a few Aggies would agree with me!

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    I guess there is some confusion between what "the best coaching job in the nation" means and "the coaching job that gets the most media attention".

And by the way, who here really thinks Tom Osborne even knows what it takes to win football games in today's climate? His hiring was solely done to shut the fans up...
    Ding ding ding! Wasn't his retirement encouraged by those boosters and fans who believed the game had passed him by? A few years down the road and they've all apparently forgotten that or changed their minds.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As a conference foe, I would like to see NU hire poorly. The only person on the list above that would really worry me is Paul Johnson (the current Navy HC)...if he can win consistently at Navy, I'm pretty certain he could do it at Nebraska. He was a candidate that I wanted us to look at last year.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post

1. Don't get caught!

Hope that helps!

Very nice!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Basically, I'd take Chizik over all of the other 118 Division I football coaches and all other coaches in existence.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

What the Huskers are looking for in a coach
    1. Undefeated season your first year, can lose the BCS Game
    2. Undefeated season your second year, must win national championship
    3. Undefeated, national championship year, beat everyone by at least 50 points
    4. Fire coach for underachieving.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't want to see them hire Pelini. I think he's going to do a hell of a job wherever he goes. Even while Danny Mac was still employed here (I think that's politically correct enough not to upset anybody), my top two wishes for the next head coach at Iowa State were:

1.) Gene Chizik
    2.) Bo Pelini

For the record, I didn't think we stood a chance in hell at either one of them. I was elated when I saw the picture of Chizik coming off the jet.