Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Presidential Candidate Tidbits

The presidential candidates were asked what contemporary person, other than themselves, they think would be a good president and what country they would live in if not America.

Obama said Warren Bufett

Giuliani named Colin Powell, but said if he were not running, he would back John McCain

Sen. Joe Biden praised Sen. Chris Dodd and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, two of his rivals, along with former Senator and 2000 Democratic candidate Bill Bradley.

Dodd said HARKIN

Governor Mitt Romney all but admitted he would not be his party's first choice if another man had a different last name, Jeb Bush, who Romney called a "fabulous governor."

Obama, McCain and Giuliani all named Great Britain, although the latter also named the homeland of his ancestors, Italy

Clinton, wouldn't budge on which foreign country she would live in. She said all her life she had been "obsessed" with American and wouldn't do well in another country.

Link: If Not Obama, Buffett? | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 985
    Given: 524

Re: Presidential Candidate Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    The presidential candidates were asked what contemporary person, other than themselves, they think would be a good president and what country they would live in if not America.

Obama said Warren Bufett

Giuliani named Colin Powell, but said if he were not running, he would back John McCain

Sen. Joe Biden praised Sen. Chris Dodd and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, two of his rivals, along with former Senator and 2000 Democratic candidate Bill Bradley.

Dodd said HARKIN

Governor Mitt Romney all but admitted he would not be his party's first choice if another man had a different last name, Jeb Bush, who Romney called a "fabulous governor."

Obama, McCain and Giuliani all named Great Britain, although the latter also named the homeland of his ancestors, Italy

Clinton, wouldn't budge on which foreign country she would live in. She said all her life she had been "obsessed" with American and wouldn't do well in another country.

Link: If Not Obama, Buffett? | The Trail | washingtonpost.com
    Sounds like Obama is begging for more money. Not surprising that Buffet is backing him and Hillary. I went to a product convention a couple years ago for a company that Buffet partially owns. The theme for one of the parties was some kind of 60's hippie movement crap.......they handed out little peace symbols and had a nice little propaganda film. Dodd's answer is scary and sad.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Please - we all know that Hillary longs for the return of the USSR, this time more close to home...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Sounds like Obama is begging for more money. Not surprising that Buffet is backing him and Hillary. I went to a product convention a couple years ago for a company that Buffet partially owns. The theme for one of the parties was some kind of 60's hippie movement crap.......they handed out little peace symbols and had a nice little propaganda film. Dodd's answer is scary and sad.
    Funny, I thought that Romney's answer was scary. Can you imagine what Bush III might be like?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Funny, I thought that Romney's answer was scary. Can you imagine what Bush III might be like?
    Romney is scary.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Romney is scary.
    Romney is the man.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Romney is scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    Romney is the man.
    Romney is the scary man.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Romney is the man.
    What do you like about him? Of all the candidates on the Republican side, he seems the most phony. Kind of like Hillary Light. He seems to change his stance depending on who he is talking with.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

What do you like about him? Of all the candidates on the Republican side, he seems the most phony. Kind of like Hillary Light. He seems to change his stance depending on who he is talking with.
    A few things . . .

1. He is by far the smartest of all the presidential candidates.

2. He is literally one of the best managers of organizations in the world. I strongly encourage people to stop and think about this and what it could mean for our country. There is no bigger organization in the world than the US government, and most of the candidates have no experience being any sort of manager of any organization! Romney is absolutely the best we could hope for in this category, and I think it is critical to being a successful president.

3. He has the best education in and the most understanding of finance and economics of all candidates. He knows that people respond to incentives, and he will build policy that will accomplish its goals. His tax policies will be fair. He will do whatever he can (w/ a democratic congress) to improve the US government's fiscal stance - he certainly understands the finance aspects of government better than all of the current candidates.

4. He has proven that he can be a bi-partisan leader. Very important with a democratic congress.

5. He is not a career politician and is running for president because he honestly believes he is the best qualified (I agree) and he wants to do good for the country. He is the anti-Hillary, not the Republican's version of her.

6. Finally, he is well connected and his administration will be filled with other brilliant people, not crony yes-men who do thinks like start Iraq wars for no reason.

A lot of people criticize him for being "phony" or "flip-flopping" on issues. Whatever. He is doing the things he needs to do and saying the things he needs to say to get elected. Its called strategy. It is a fact that he has been much more moderate in real life than anyone who could get the nomination as a republican, so he has to play a conservative on TV.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A few things . . .

1. He is by far the smartest of all the presidential candidates.

2. He is literally one of the best managers of organizations in the world. I strongly encourage people to stop and think about this and what it could mean for our country. There is no bigger organization in the world than the US government, and most of the candidates have no experience being any sort of manager of any organization! Romney is absolutely the best we could hope for in this category, and I think it is critical to being a successful president.

3. He has the best education in and the most understanding of finance and economics of all candidates. He knows that people respond to incentives, and he will build policy that will accomplish its goals. His tax policies will be fair. He will do whatever he can (w/ a democratic congress) to improve the US government's fiscal stance - he certainly understands the finance aspects of government better than all of the current candidates.

4. He has proven that he can be a bi-partisan leader. Very important with a democratic congress.

5. He is not a career politician and is running for president because he honestly believes he is the best qualified (I agree) and he wants to do good for the country. He is the anti-Hillary, not the Republican's version of her.

6. Finally, he is well connected and his administration will be filled with other brilliant people, not crony yes-men who do thinks like start Iraq wars for no reason.

A lot of people criticize him for being "phony" or "flip-flopping" on issues. Whatever. He is doing the things he needs to do and saying the things he needs to say to get elected. Its called strategy. It is a fact that he has been much more moderate in real life than anyone who could get the nomination as a republican, so he has to play a conservative on TV.
    I heard a somewhat disturbing Romney ad on the radio tonight. Disturbing to me anyway. He was talking immigration, and his points were good there, but he went to the withholding federal funds card, which I see as an abuse of the federal government's power. That bothered me more than anything else did before.

My other question would be.....why play a conservative on tv? If you are a moderate, run as a moderate. GWB seemed to do the same thing, but he has shown his liberal side lately, particularly on immigration.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I heard a somewhat disturbing Romney ad on the radio tonight. Disturbing to me anyway. He was talking immigration, and his points were good there, but he went to the withholding federal funds card, which I see as an abuse of the federal government's power. That bothered me more than anything else did before.

My other question would be.....why play a conservative on tv? If you are a moderate, run as a moderate. GWB seemed to do the same thing, but he has shown his liberal side lately, particularly on immigration.
    I have no idea what witholding federal funds card means.

No republican is going to get the nomination without being seen as a conservative. Conservatives are who votes most for Republican, especially in the primaries. Also, it is possible that he is just getting more conservative in his old age, who knows.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have no idea what witholding federal funds card means.

No republican is going to get the nomination without being seen as a conservative. Conservatives are who votes most for Republican, especially in the primaries. Also, it is possible that he is just getting more conservative in his old age, who knows.
    When the federal government wants the states to do something that they can't legally force the states to do, they have been withholding federal funds to force compliance. For example, when states do not enact seat belt laws or speed limits within the federal parameters, they lose highway funds. Romney is advocating this approach with states (Iowa would be an example) that don't enforce immigration laws. Though I strongly believe that states should be enforcing these laws, I disagree with this method.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

When the federal government wants the states to do something that they can't legally force the states to do, they have been withholding federal funds to force compliance. For example, when states do not enact seat belt laws or speed limits within the federal parameters, they lose highway funds. Romney is advocating this approach with states (Iowa would be an example) that don't enforce immigration laws. Though I strongly believe that states should be enforcing these laws, I disagree with this method.
    I don't favor Romney because of his specific solution to any one problem, like this immigration issue. I favor him because his approach to problem solving and managing organizations is effective and I trust him to make great decisions.

Also, I don't have a problem with withholding federal funds for states that refuse to enforce immigration laws. Doesn't seem any worse than witholding funds for seat belts or the alcohol limit. Actually, it seems better because the blood-alcohol level and seat belt things are "suggestions" by the federal government, while the immigration laws are actually laws.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't favor Romney because of his specific solution to any one problem, like this immigration issue. I favor him because his approach to problem solving and managing organizations is effective and I trust him to make great decisions.

Also, I don't have a problem with withholding federal funds for states that refuse to enforce immigration laws. Doesn't seem any worse than witholding funds for seat belts or the alcohol limit. Actually, it seems better because the blood-alcohol level and seat belt things are "suggestions" by the federal government, while the immigration laws are actually laws.
    I agree that states should be pressured to uphold the laws, but surely there is a constitutional way to do it. I think it would start with our federal government enforcing it's own laws first. I'm not hammering on Romney, because I am truly undecided at this point, but at this point I would need to know a lot more than I do to be swayed his way.