Some Cell Phone questions.
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 93

Some Cell Phone questions.

Currently I am on Verizon with a Thunderbolt. Previously, I had been on one year upgrade plans, which was really nice because phones progress so fast. Well, now somehow they got rid of that and it's 20 months. The problem is my phone is really taking a dive and I don't know if it will make it to November. I'm wondering if there is any other way to be able to get a Razr Maxx or something. I don't know all the ins and outs. Also, what other carriers would be good options in NW Iowa? Taking away that one year upgrade has really ****** me off.

It's all snark from here on out

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 58

Re: Some Cell Phone questions.

The only thing I can add is cell phone service sucks in NW IA.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 80

My best advice is look on craigslist or maybe ebay. I honestly hate buying a phone from verizon because once you do that, your locked in a contract. This way if you buy outside of Verizon you can do it whenever you want.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 899
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 47

No insurance? If your anywhere near the 1 yr mark and have been a customer for awhile, you may try calling customer service and explain that your current phone is on its last legs and would b interested in upgrading also let them know you'd b willing to sign a new/extend your contract ... Threating to leave them will most likely get you no where so its easier to go the 'loyal customer' route for leverage ...

Winners' Never Quit and Quitters' Never Win

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Currently I am on Verizon with a Thunderbolt. Previously, I had been on one year upgrade plans, which was really nice because phones progress so fast. Well, now somehow they got rid of that and it's 20 months. The problem is my phone is really taking a dive and I don't know if it will make it to November. I'm wondering if there is any other way to be able to get a Razr Maxx or something. I don't know all the ins and outs. Also, what other carriers would be good options in NW Iowa? Taking away that one year upgrade has really ****** me off.
    ICS for Thunderbolt is coming in July or August. With mine, I did a factory reset and it seemed to help with the responsiveness. If you are really to the point of wanting to get rid of it, I would suggest trying to root the phone and putting a different ROM on it. That can really help the phone's performance. Other than that, you will have to pay full price for a new one on either EBay or from Verizon.

At the time the Thunderbolt came out, Verizon still had the option of a one year contract if you were a new customer or if your contract had ended (not early upgrade). What they got rid of was the early upgrade with their two year contracts. It used to be that after one year, you were eligible for an upgrade even on a two year contract. That is now 20 months.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 93

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    ICS for Thunderbolt is coming in July or August. With mine, I did a factory reset and it seemed to help with the responsiveness. If you are really to the point of wanting to get rid of it, I would suggest trying to root the phone and putting a different ROM on it. That can really help the phone's performance. Other than that, you will have to pay full price for a new one on either EBay or from Verizon.

At the time the Thunderbolt came out, Verizon still had the option of a one year contract if you were a new customer or if your contract had ended (not early upgrade). What they got rid of was the early upgrade with their two year contracts. It used to be that after one year, you were eligible for an upgrade even on a two year contract. That is now 20 months.
    How do I do this rooting business and why are they waiting so long for ICS on a phone that is this old?

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    How do I do this rooting business and why are they waiting so long for ICS on a phone that is this old?

Start here. HTC Thunderbolt - Android Forums

Go to all things root to get directions. Read everything first to make sure you know what you're doing.

As far as ICS, it is taking so long because there is a new version of sense that's coming with it. I know the recent update has created some issues for people so I am hoping they do the ICS update correctly.

Personally, I'd wait until this comes out before dropping the thunderbolt. The newest multi-core smartphones are definitely better specs, but it isn't that the thunderbolt is that far behind. It is still probably the top single core android phone there is. Unless you're looking to drop $500, you're not going to do much better.