Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 42

Just Curious: Why no playoff with 10 teams

With all the upheaval in the BCS system why doesn't the Big 12 challenge the idea that you can't have a championship game without having 12 teams. Just do it. What will other conferences do? Yell "Stop" or they'll yell "Stop" again? Seems the arguments against it are pretty weak.

Two five team divisions would have a lot of flexibility. Could still play everyone. If you want just 8 games. Play four out of five in other division. Or protected rivalry rotate three out of the remaining four teams. Then you only miss playing a team once every four years.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 174

Re: Just Curious: Why no playoff with 10 teams

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearClone View Post
    With all the upheaval in the BCS system why doesn't the Big 12 challenge the idea that you can't have a championship game without having 12 teams. Just do it. What will other conferences do? Yell "Stop" or they'll yell "Stop" again? Seems the arguments against it are pretty weak.

Two five team divisions would have a lot of flexibility. Could still play everyone. If you want just 8 games. Play four out of five in other division. Or protected rivalry rotate three out of the remaining four teams. Then you only miss playing a team once every four years.
    Agree 100% Big 8 vs SWC.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 0

Because it's an NCAA rule that you have to have a minimum of 12 teams, separated into two divisions, with a complete round-robin played within each division.

Legend
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Because it's an NCAA rule that you have to have a minimum of 12 teams, separated into two divisions, with a complete round-robin played within each division.
    By agreeing with him I meant that the Big 12 should try and get the rule changed...

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

In the interview yesterday, it was suggested that the Big 12 ADs don't really like the concept of divisions, and might not even create divisions if the Big 12 expands to 12 teams. If they are giving consideration to not creating divisions with 12 teams, there is about 0.0% chance of divisions being created with only ten teams.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-31-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 313

Good question. Why does it make sense to have a conference championship game with 12 teams, but not with 10 teams?

I like divisions and a conference championship better, especially if we can drop to 8 conference games and have an extra non-conference one.

P.S. I know that the Big 12 people are saying that they don't want it, but how did we get the rule in the first place?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 531
    Given: 475

The B12 doesn't want a championship game and divisions let alone make a new rule to allow it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    In the interview yesterday, it was suggested that the Big 12 ADs don't really like the concept of divisions, and might not even create divisions if the Big 12 expands to 12 teams. If they are giving consideration to not creating divisions with 12 teams, there is about 0.0% chance of divisions being created with only ten teams.
    Personally I like having no divisions also. For the first time since the Big 8 it really felt like we were part of a whole conference. However if it comes down to having to go to 12 teams just to get to a championship game I'd rather stay at 10 and get the rule changed. As far as what the Big 12 says now I think they do a lot of talking up how great their current situation is. No championship is great just how we want it. Ten teams are great just how we want it. Longhorn network is great for the league... ect ect. I think they got a little lucky that the 1 and 2 teams played in a pseudo-championship game the last game of the season. Probably won't happen most years.

Rookie
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    The B12 doesn't want a championship game and divisions let alone make a new rule to allow it.
    Like I said in another post I think the B12 doesn't a lot of playing up their current situation whether it is to save face or whatever. But they got lucky that the last game of the year came down to a battle for 1st place. When we have meaningless games the last weekend while other conferences are having championship games they might think otherwise but probably still wouldn't admit it.

At least with having two five team divisions you could get the "benefits" without the huge scheduling problems which really divides a conference. Just look at Iowa not playing Wisconsin near as much and all the problems the SEC is going to have with 14 teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 127

With the full round robin schedule a champion is already determined, so a conference championship game is not needed. Personally, I like the current situation.

Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 262

Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    With the full round robin schedule a champion is already determined, so a conference championship game is not needed. Personally, I like the current situation.
    I like it as well. Puts more emphasis on the entire conference season. If our top team or second place team loses in the championship it could drop them out of the top four which would cost more money than the Big 12 championship earned.

Walk On
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    If AC/DC was right that Money Talks, then The B12 does indeed want a championship game. I agree that it would be great to have one without divisions. We already play every team.

I don't want to be Co-North Champion again.

To show them how the Cyclones cheer.

Legend
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 658

Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    With the full round robin schedule a champion is already determined
    Until there's a 3 way tie.

It'll always be better than some of the 2, 3 and 4 way Big Ten fake championships where teams didn't even have head to head in many cases, but it won't always be neat and tidy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I think the Big 12 (if they get to 12) should go to a pod system. Four 3-team pods. Hear me out...

North - ISU, KU KSTATE
    South - Tex, Bay, TCU
    West - OU, OSU, TT
    East - WV, CLEM FSU

* Note - Clem and FSU are in for argument sake, and the pods can be rearranged, it's not the focus of the idea.

You play your own pod every year, and the two of the other three pods. = 8 conference games. (The pod you didn't play would rotate each year)

After your last game, you play the team in the same position in the standings as you in the pod you haven't played. (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3) This game will be hosted by the team with the better conference record (Teams would have 6 common opponents, so if should be fair). This is the 9th conference game.

Winners of the two 1 vs 1 games will meet for the Big 12 Championship at a neutral site. (Or if you don't want a title game, you can look at who won the first time around and call them the champs, either/or)

Benefits:

* Unique
    * Playoff format within our conference for the title
    * The 9th conference game is almost always against a team you would have a legit chance to win since it is based off standings. (Would be fun for fans of 5-6 teams in the last week to not go against the powerhouse).
    * More teams are alive for the championship.
    * (Add yours here)

Bugs to be worked out:

* Tex vs OU wouldn't be GUARANTEED to play in 1 out of every 3 years (unless they finished in the same place in their pods, or they were in the same pod).
    * The host of the final game would only have one week for event planning and ticket arrangements. (This may be easier than I think, I don't really know).
    * (Add yours here)

REACTION!!!!!...

Last edited by CydeOut; 06-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 658

Quote Originally Posted by CydeOut View Post
    I think the Big 12 (if they get to 12) should go to a pod system. Four 3-team pods. Hear me out...

North - ISU, KU KSTATE
    South - Tex, Bay, TCU
    West - OU, OSU, TT
    East - WV, CLEM FSU

* Note - Clem and FSU are in for argument sake, and the pods can be rearranged, it's not the focus of the idea.

You play your own pod every year, and the two of the other three pods. = 8 conference games. (The pod you didn't play would rotate each year)

After your last game, you play the team in the same position in the standings as you in the pod you haven't played. (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3) This game will be hosted by the team with the better conference record (Teams would have 6 common opponents, so if should be fair). This is the 9th conference game.

Winners of the two 1 vs 1 games will meet for the Big 12 Championship at a neutral site. (Or if you don't want a title game, you can look at who won the first time around and call them the champs, either/or)

Benefits:

* Unique
    * Playoff format within our conference for the title
    * The 9th conference game is almost always against a team you would have a legit chance to win since it is based off standings. (Would be fun for fans of 5-6 teams in the last week to not go against the powerhouse).
    * More teams are alive for the championship.
    * (Add yours here)

Bugs to be worked out:

* Tex vs OU wouldn't be GUARANTEED to play in 1 out of every 3 years (unless they finished in the same place in their pods, or they were in the same pod).
    * The host of the final game would only have one week for event planning and ticket arrangements. (This may be easier than I think, I don't really know).
    * (Add yours here)

REACTION!!!!!...
    The only negatives to this are that it's hard for some people to wrap their brain around, and if the current rules would allow such a championship game.

In my opinion it's really quite perfect and would make Big 12 football the most interesting conference going in terms of drama and incredible scheduling. OU/Texas would still be played 2 out of 3 years, and a better than 50% chance they still play somehow the year they don't meet in the ninth game or the championship game. They're looking at playing each other possibly still 10 times a decade considering some years it would be twice.

I don't think the 9th game planning would be an issue because you could work out what two pods are the hosts before the season starts and just rotate every other year. Some years it might seem unfair but if it's every other year it will even out. The current 9 game schedule isn't fair already because it creates 5 home games for some and 4 for others...if we have that unfairness it would be awesome to add this playoff style drama to it.

If it worked I could see other 12 team conferences copying it. I don't think it would work as well for the SEC if they added 16 because they'd wouldn't be able to fit in playing 2 of the other 3 pods, it'd take an 11 game conference schedule to do that. They'd have to do something with your own pod, one other pod, and then one random game against one of the two you're missing before the "extra playoff style game". 12 would really be the ideal if something like this took root.

*edit: this is one scenario where OU and Texas would definitely WANT to be in different pods, I don't think they'd like the idea that that one of them has no chance at the mini playoff half of the time.

Last edited by HFCS; 06-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.