Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

Ankeny school superintendent resigns

Anyone got the skinny on this? I assume there's more to it than meets the eye.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 147

Re: Ankeny school superintendent resigns

Think that there's been some butting of heads since the new board members took office. I don't think the sup is the only one not happy with the situation. I've heard there are others thinking about getting out too.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone4life82 View Post
    Think that there's been some butting of heads since the new board members took office. I don't think the sup is the only one not happy with the situation. I've heard there are others thinking about getting out too.
    Can't say I'm that surprised but really, have things changed that much? Obviously people sent a message by voting so many new members on to the board, and there was a lot of bluster about possibly canceling the two-school plan. But it seems like everything is progressing as planned. But I'm not really close to the situation, either.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 613
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 202

I've sent out a couple emails and texts to see what the back story is here. To my knowledge, this was kind of out of the blue.
    I do know things have been a little contentious since the last school board election. The incumbents screwed that up though when they all tried to run as one and made it sound like Ankeny couldn't move forward without all 4 of them and the voters were smarter than that.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    I've sent out a couple emails and texts to see what the back story is here. To my knowledge, this was kind of out of the blue.
    I do know things have been a little contentious since the last school board election. The incumbents screwed that up though when they all tried to run as one and made it sound like Ankeny couldn't move forward without all 4 of them and the voters were smarter than that.
    Yeah, but it was still a little stunning that every single one was voted out. After all, there was nothing that forced people to vote for or against them as a block. They just chose to run that way.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 147

Ill be honest, I wasn't a part of it but have heard people say that it's been a whole political mess (not necessarily what you mention with the whole voting though above)since the new board took office.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 270

Quote Originally Posted by clone4life82 View Post
    Ill be honest, I wasn't a part of it but have heard people say that it's been a whole political mess (not necessarily what you mention with the whole voting though above)since the new board took office.
    That will happen when you have people who want to cut spending in a jurisdiction who spends an incredible amount of money.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    That will happen when you have people who want to cut spending in a jurisdiction who spends an incredible amount of money.
    I'm not intending to defend the old board although it will probably come off that way. But for an explosively growing community I'm not sure the expenditures were out of line. They had a plan for growth - which was heavily publicized - and they executed it. Taxes went up as they said they would, and they're coming back down as they said they would.

Things cost money. People want growth but they don't want to pay for it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 270

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    I'm not intending to defend the old board although it will probably come off that way. But for an explosively growing community I'm not sure the expenditures were out of line. They had a plan for growth - which was heavily publicized - and they executed it. Taxes went up as they said they would, and they're coming back down as they said they would.

Yeah, I agree with you fully...sorry my last comment probably came off as anti-spending. What I was getting at is with the economy where it is at, and with the movement of the tea-party ways, people want to cut money, and the Ankeny School District spends a lot (although I don't disagree with where that money is going). People are starting to get voted in all over the place who promise to cut spending, and in this particular scenario, spending cuts would go against a previous vision for the District.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you fully...sorry my last comment probably came off as anti-spending. What I was getting at is with the economy where it is at, and with the movement of the tea-party ways, people want to cut money, and the Ankeny School District spends a lot (although I don't disagree with where that money is going). People are starting to get voted in all over the place who promise to cut spending, and in this particular scenario, spending cuts would go against a previous vision for the District.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I understand people not wanting to spend, I get that. But that pendulum can swing too far in the other direction too. I for one think it's great that someone actually put a long-term plan out there that said exactly what was going to happen, then managed to that plan and saw it through.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 202

I can't verify this, but have heard from several around town that were upset at what was going on before the vote that with all the tax abatements on homes and businesses, it set Ankeny back with money and its forced taxes to be a lot higher now than it would have been had a large % of town been paying property taxes for 2-5 years they had been living there.
    I don't know how all that works so someone feel free to correct me, just some of the scuttlebutt around town.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't verify this, but have heard from several around town that were upset at what was going on before the vote that with all the tax abatements on homes and businesses, it set Ankeny back with money and its forced taxes to be a lot higher now than it would have been had a large % of town been paying property taxes for 2-5 years they had been living there.
    I don't know how all that works so someone feel free to correct me, just some of the scuttlebutt around town.
    Hmm, interesting. I can't say I'm real dialed in on the scuttlebutt but I've been an Ankeny resident for eight years and I've got young kids now so I'm paying more attention to this stuff.

Still, I can't imagine something that detailed really entering the consciousness of the voting population, can you? People tend to vote on big themes - like anti-spending or whatever. But what do I know.

Addict
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 463

Hmm, interesting. I can't say I'm real dialed in on the scuttlebutt but I've been an Ankeny resident for eight years and I've got young kids now so I'm paying more attention to this stuff.

Still, I can't imagine something that detailed really entering the consciousness of the voting population, can you? People tend to vote on big themes - like anti-spending or whatever. But what do I know.

Closing an elementary school led to several new members being elected to the school board in Ames. I think people vote based on very local issues when it comes to school boards.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Closing an elementary school led to several new members being elected to the school board in Ames. I think people vote based on very local issues when it comes to school boards.
    I agree, but it's easy to get your mind around the closing of a school. The intricacies of property tax abatement and fiscal management seem to me like they would be lost on most people though. But maybe I'm just not talking to the right people.