Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 10

Bill Snyder Speaks

and I am sure Paul Rhoads agrees 100%

SNYDER TALKS CHARACTER OVER WINNING

By Mark Janssen

It's all in the record books: 159 wins, four Big 12 North titles and an overall Big 12 championship won in 2003.

To those numbers, however, Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder says, "People get too caught up about the scoreboard reads. To me, what is really important is what are you doing to help young people become successful in life?"

That's the message Snyder recently delivered to an event hosted by the Abilene (Kan.) Area Chamber of Commerce.

Snyder told the gathering that at times the lives of young people are sacrificed "... just to get more points on the scoreboard. I think that is wrong."

He would add that he came to K-State in 1989 not to win football games, but to influence the lives of young people in a positive way, such as Abilene's own Curry Sexton and Cody Whitehair, who will both be significant factors on this year's Wildcat team.

"I told our players that it is important, and you have to believe that it is important, to get better every single day. You cannot be judged, or allow yourself to be judged, by what the scoreboard says," Snyder emphasized. "You need to judge yourself based on your improvement every single day as a person, as a student and as a football athlete.

"We have lost sight as to what athletics is all about," he added. "Many of us can go back to when we played and we played because we enjoyed playing because it was fun. Sometimes you would win and sometimes you would lose, but you enjoyed the competition. You realized after a period of time that it helped you in life. We have so lost sight of that and we are going in a very bad direction."

Within the K-State program, Snyder said he strives to recruit student-athletes who want to be successful, and, want to be leaders.

But, he quoted a National Education Association survey that indicated that while most everyone sets goals, only 50 percent develop a plan to achieve those goals, and only five percent actually achieve their goals.

With his 100-plus Wildcat team members, he says as the head coach "... sometimes our players need help with their plans."

That includes a degree of work and perseverance, which is common place in the Sunflower State.

"One thing I love about the state of Kansas is its perseverance," said Snyder, a native of St. Joseph, Mo. Mentioning how Abraham Lincoln lost seven elections before becoming President of the United States, and how Walt Disney filed for bankruptcy twice before realizing his goal of making movies, he said, "It boils down to perseverance and not giving in."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 574
    Given: 405

Re: Bill Snyder Speaks

I have a ton of respect for Snyder. The guy is a wizard at that school. Im not sure what KSU will do should he retire for real.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    and I am sure Paul Rhoads agrees 100%

SNYDER TALKS CHARACTER OVER WINNING

By Mark Janssen

It's all in the record books: 159 wins, four Big 12 North titles and an overall Big 12 championship won in 2003.

To those numbers, however, Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder says, "People get too caught up about the scoreboard reads. To me, what is really important is what are you doing to help young people become successful in life?"

That's the message Snyder recently delivered to an event hosted by the Abilene (Kan.) Area Chamber of Commerce.

Snyder told the gathering that at times the lives of young people are sacrificed "... just to get more points on the scoreboard. I think that is wrong."

He would add that he came to K-State in 1989 not to win football games, but to influence the lives of young people in a positive way, such as Abilene's own Curry Sexton and Cody Whitehair, who will both be significant factors on this year's Wildcat team.

"I told our players that it is important, and you have to believe that it is important, to get better every single day. You cannot be judged, or allow yourself to be judged, by what the scoreboard says," Snyder emphasized. "You need to judge yourself based on your improvement every single day as a person, as a student and as a football athlete.

"We have lost sight as to what athletics is all about," he added. "Many of us can go back to when we played and we played because we enjoyed playing because it was fun. Sometimes you would win and sometimes you would lose, but you enjoyed the competition. You realized after a period of time that it helped you in life. We have so lost sight of that and we are going in a very bad direction."

Within the K-State program, Snyder said he strives to recruit student-athletes who want to be successful, and, want to be leaders.

But, he quoted a National Education Association survey that indicated that while most everyone sets goals, only 50 percent develop a plan to achieve those goals, and only five percent actually achieve their goals.

With his 100-plus Wildcat team members, he says as the head coach "... sometimes our players need help with their plans."

That includes a degree of work and perseverance, which is common place in the Sunflower State.

"One thing I love about the state of Kansas is its perseverance," said Snyder, a native of St. Joseph, Mo. Mentioning how Abraham Lincoln lost seven elections before becoming President of the United States, and how Walt Disney filed for bankruptcy twice before realizing his goal of making movies, he said, "It boils down to perseverance and not giving in."
    Clap, Clap, Clap . . yawn.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 31

Snyder has a connection to Fry. That alone makes him the anti-******. He can't retire again soon enough.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,234
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 401
    Given: 496

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Snyder has a connection to Fry. That alone makes him the anti-******. He can't retire again soon enough.
    So you were a Danny Mac hater as well? He didn't show the hawks any mercy when they played...

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

I don't like the Fry connection but I have a lot of respect for Snyder. I grew up in SE Kansas and when I was a kid pretty much any student of any school in Kansas could get into a KSU game for free, as hardly anybody went. Unfortunately I lived too far away to take advantage of the offer. It is truly amazing what has done there.

Are you sure Hank done it this way?

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

Unfortunately, for most sports fans in general, including Iowa State supporters specifically, only the scoreboard matters.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Addict
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Unfortunately, for most sports fans in general, including Iowa State supporters specifically, only the scoreboard matters.
    Bill Snyder tries to come off with this grandfatherly/nice coach and we all know he'd run up the score on teams that were down by 40 points in the 4th against him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 863
    Given: 1,724

It's a nice sentiment but he takes it a little bit too far. I didn't come here to win games but to influence the lives of young people. It's a nice sound bite, but if he didn't win games he wouldn't have been there long enough to influence the lives of anyone.

I still respect him a lot, but don't act like winning means nothing. Now go out and play somebody in the non-conference schedule.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 2,463

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    Bill Snyder tries to come off with this grandfatherly/nice coach and we all know he'd run up the score on teams that were down by 40 points in the 4th against him.
    This is exactly what I thought about when reading the story. Snyder would do a lot to run up the score and improve his margin of victory/style points for the polls. He's not all sugar and spice but he might give you a quarter or a hard candy if you are good.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

gotta be nuts coaching in a stadium named after you

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 620
    Given: 342

I wish he would retire, because he is one helluva football coach. That 10-win, Top 10 KSU team last year is probably 7-5 or 6-6 with most coaches. Also, the power offense they run will likely continue to give fits to Big 12 defenses which are geared up to defend the spread most weeks.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 975

I can't wait till he retires again, and KSU hires a Ron Prince 2.0.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 107

I would feel better about Synders comments if I could forget the TV graphic of Ell Roberson III (QB early 2000s) when he played in a bowl his Sr year and his major was "undeclared". After the bowl game it was leaked that he had been investigated by police for sexual assult the night before but was never charged.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    This is exactly what I thought about when reading the story. Snyder would do a lot to run up the score and improve his margin of victory/style points for the polls. He's not all sugar and spice but he might give you a quarter or a hard candy if you are good.
    I understand and Snyder truly is no statesman on fair play - but who in D1 Football is? the overall theme of his statement has some merit.

Big time collegiate athletics has created this system that really exploits the "student-athlete". I'm concerned by the study published a few years ago about 'Clustering" - basically 70% of Juniors & Seniors are enrolled in the same curriculums (such as 'General Studies', - at Iowa State we have a major called "Liberal Studies" which is very popular with athletes) that have no relevance or job value to society; basically they are just a sham of academic path so the athlete appears is on a path to graduate - but graduate with a degree in 'Nothing'.

How ironic that the study highlighted athlete - a football player from Kansas State, because he had to reenter college at age 28 after finding his degree (and GPA) was worthless to the current job market - and this is common to many ex-athletes. [ Imagine a football player telling head coach that he can't make it to practice on Tue & Thur afternoons because he has a 3-hr Organic Chem lab that's not offered in the mornings].

At D1 colleges; for most fans, it's the scoreboard only.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.