Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 86,675, Level: 91
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,101
    Points
    86,675
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    2012 Toyota Camry

    I rented one of these recently and was really impressed. It was a basic version with the 4 cylinder engine. Handled really nicely and at one point we had 5 good sized people in it and it didn't seem lethargic at all. I'd catorgrize it has a large mid sized car. I thought the trunk was a little small, but lot of room both head and leg room in the back seats. You can see out the back window great unlike a lot of the newer styled cars.

    We got great mileage with it. We were doing a lot of 75 to 80 mph driving in mountains and it averaged in the low 30s.

    No wonder they sell so many.....Great car. If I had one less kid, we'd be taking a close look at one.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 26,851, Level: 50
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    904
    Points
    26,851
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I rented one of these recently and was really impressed. It was a basic version with the 4 cylinder engine. Handled really nicely and at one point we had 5 good sized people in it and it didn't seem lethargic at all. I'd catorgrize it has a large mid sized car. I thought the trunk was a little small, but lot of room both head and leg room in the back seats. You can see out the back window great unlike a lot of the newer styled cars.

    We got great mileage with it. We were doing a lot of 75 to 80 mph driving in mountains and it averaged in the low 30s.

    No wonder they sell so many.....Great car. If I had one less kid, we'd be taking a close look at one.
    I drove a 12 Camry Hybrid about a month ago and was very impressed too. Did not handle or drive like a hybrid. Drives like a moderately powered V6 yet averages 40 MPG -> that is 40 MPG city and 40 MPG highway.



  3. #3
    Publisher
    Points: 781,347, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,993
    Points
    781,347
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 638
    Given: 183

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    I've got a 2011 Camry. My wife drives it. We're leasing and she refuses to give it up. Wants to buy it when the lease is up. Fantastic cars.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 254,523, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,532
    Points
    254,523
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 418

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    The 2012 seems to be an improvement over the 2010. The trunk is bigger and there seems to be fewer blind spots. Nice car.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,710, Level: 77
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,540
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,912
    Points
    61,710
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 77

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    I leased a 2009 Camry for 3 years and thought it was pretty average. Decent mileage and power for a 4-cylinder, but the interior was very blah and not really that comfortable.

    Perhaps the 2012 models are a significant upgrade.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 25,773, Level: 49
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,222
    Points
    25,773
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    CarolinaCy, you can spend an extra $500 and get a SE Camry which has the sporty styling touches that you want.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,710, Level: 77
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,540
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,912
    Points
    61,710
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 77

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    CarolinaCy, you can spend an extra $500 and get a SE Camry which has the sporty styling touches that you want.
    My '99 Buick Regal LS has all the comforts I will ever need.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,291, Level: 62
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,602
    Points
    41,291
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 0

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I rented one of these recently and was really impressed. It was a basic version with the 4 cylinder engine. Handled really nicely and at one point we had 5 good sized people in it and it didn't seem lethargic at all. I'd catorgrize it has a large mid sized car. I thought the trunk was a little small, but lot of room both head and leg room in the back seats. You can see out the back window great unlike a lot of the newer styled cars.

    We got great mileage with it. We were doing a lot of 75 to 80 mph driving in mountains and it averaged in the low 30s.

    No wonder they sell so many.....Great car. If I had one less kid, we'd be taking a close look at one.

    I just bought a New Sonata SE recently in which I was down to a New Camry and a Sonata.
    The Sonata really brings it with gas mileage, power and bells and whistles. It also has a pretty dang good warranty. The price was a tad better also (especially with the rebates + Financing) Another factor is I am so tired of seeing camrys. I must pass 50 a day. I guess I just wanted something different...
    Plus you guys should check out Hyundai Bluelink..think Onstar here.

    I can't argue against a camry though. They are safe, conservative and reliable.

    Both are outstanding cars and from my research they are really starting to battle.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 204,518, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,404
    Points
    204,518
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 333

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    If you want safe, comfortable, and reliability, they are hard to beat. Although to be honest it's really hard to choose a bad car in that class. The Sonata, Accord, Passat, Fusion, and most likely the new Altima are all great cars.

    With that said, if I was looking in this class I'd probably go the used route. Since they are so reliable and there are so many on the road you can usually get a good deal on a year old one.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 37,380, Level: 59
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    37,380
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    CarolinaCy, you can spend an extra $500 and get a SE Camry which has the sporty styling touches that you want.
    My '99 Buick Regal LS has all the comforts I will ever need. :cool:
    ...except the supercharger :cool:



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 86,675, Level: 91
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,101
    Points
    86,675
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    I just bought a New Sonata SE recently in which I was down to a New Camry and a Sonata.
    The Sonata really brings it with gas mileage, power and bells and whistles. It also has a pretty dang good warranty. The price was a tad better also (especially with the rebates + Financing) Another factor is I am so tired of seeing camrys. I must pass 50 a day. I guess I just wanted something different...
    Plus you guys should check out Hyundai Bluelink..think Onstar here.

    I can't argue against a camry though. They are safe, conservative and reliable.

    Both are outstanding cars and from my research they are really starting to battle.
    Would like to try one of these some time as I konw Hyundai has come a long ways. My wife had a Hyundai Scoupe when I met her and that was the biggest piece of junk I've ever driven.

    I've never driven a Toyota I have not liked. Can't say that about Hyundai unfortunately.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 109,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,176
    Points
    109,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 98

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Would like to try one of these some time as I konw Hyundai has come a long ways. My wife had a Hyundai Scoupe when I met her and that was the biggest piece of junk I've ever driven.

    I've never driven a Toyota I have not liked. Can't say that about Hyundai unfortunately.
    My dad put 260k on a work Avalon, now he has an work Impala. While he thinks GM stepped up their cars, he would go back to the Avalon in no time.



  13. #13
    Publisher
    Points: 781,347, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,993
    Points
    781,347
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 638
    Given: 183

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Since we're talking about Toyota's, anybody have experiences with their trucks? I'm going to get a Tacoma or a Tundra from Wilson Toyota later this year but I'm having a hard time deciding on which one. I like the size of the Tacoma a lot. But peeps tell me that I'm wasting my money and can get a Tundra (with pretty much the same gas mileage) for close to the same price. Both are great trucks. Anybody have experience with either?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 74,701, Level: 84
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    5,146
    Points
    74,701
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 334

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    This thread makes me feel a little bit better about the '12 Camry. In my experience Toyota has been the most reliable car I've had, my dad's little Toyota pickup was closing in on 300k miles when he hit a deer.

    But I had to rent a '12 Camry for a few days and the steering wasn't very responsive and downshifting at 40+ mph was a little rough. Maybe I just got a rental that had been beat on.


    "But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

    "I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 97,249, Level: 97
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,801
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,963
    Points
    97,249
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 46

    Re: 2012 Toyota Camry

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Since we're talking about Toyota's, anybody have experiences with their trucks? I'm going to get a Tacoma or a Tundra from Wilson Toyota later this year but I'm having a hard time deciding on which one. I like the size of the Tacoma a lot. But peeps tell me that I'm wasting my money and can get a Tundra (with pretty much the same gas mileage) for close to the same price. Both are great trucks. Anybody have experience with either?
    I don't have experience with Toyota trucks personally, but my experience has always been, everything else being equal, price, gas mileage, etc. Go with the larger truck. It seems you can never have too much space in a truck. That being said, if you don't really plan on hauling anything with it and it's just used like a car, then your personal preference is all that really matters.

    I've owned multiple trucks over the years and always went up in size and or power every time I bought a new one. Then again, I did a lot of hauling of lumber, bricks and all kinds of landscaping materials.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM