Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

Just saw The Avengers

I thought it was overrated. Still a good movie, one I'd gladly go and watch again in theaters. But the talk about it being the best superhero movie of all time was unwarranted, IMO. It went for the laugh a little too often for my taste (But I admit I laughed at every opportunity).

At least for my taste, it doesn't hold a candle to The Dark Knight. That is one of the best movies I've ever seen, regardless of genre. I liked the darker edge to it, whereas The Avengers was a little too cheesy at times.

Like I said, I'd love to watch it again, but it's far from the best superhero movie ever.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,783
    Given: 1,502

Re: Just saw The Avengers

We're making fun of Iowa fans a lot tonight. You're not helping your cause with this.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    We're making fun of Iowa fans a lot tonight. You're not helping your cause with this.
    It's a Harrison Barnes overrated, in that it can't possibly live up to the hype. Still good, but I've seen better.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I thought it was overrated. Still a good movie, one I'd gladly go and watch again in theaters. But the talk about it being the best superhero movie of all time was unwarranted, IMO. It went for the laugh a little too often for my taste (But I admit I laughed at every opportunity).

At least for my taste, it doesn't hold a candle to The Dark Knight. That is one of the best movies I've ever seen, regardless of genre. I liked the darker edge to it, whereas The Avengers was a little too cheesy at times.

Like I said, I'd love to watch it again, but it's far from the best superhero movie ever.
    It's hard to compare Dark Knight to superhero movies or call it one. It was just so different and better than your typical superhero comic book movie. It was miles ahead of what we're used too from that genre as far as acting, plot, complexity and realism.

Avengers is a popcorn superhero movie full of action and laughs. Dark Knight should have been nominated for Best Picture. Totally different movies

ABC - Always Be Closing

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,579
    Given: 825

Avengers and the Dark Knight are two completely different types of movies so it's hard to compare which was better. For me they are 1a. and 1b. for superhero movies.

Last edited by CyArob; 05-20-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    It's hard to compare Dark Knight to superhero movies or call it one. It was just so different and better than your typical superhero comic book movie. It was miles ahead of what we're used too from that genre as far as acting, plot, complexity and realism.

Avengers is a popcorn superhero movie full of action and laughs. Dark Knight should have been nominated for Best Picture. Totally different movies
    For me, that's why The Avengers can't be considered the best. Perhaps the best of the "eye candy" superhero movies, but The Dark Knight takes the cake as the best, IMO. I wanted to see The Avengers, but I'm still more excited about DKR.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 146

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by cycarob View Post
    Avengers and the Dark Knight are two completely different types of movies so it's hard to compare which was better. For me they are 1a. and 1b. for superhero movies.
    Ditto.

For what it's worth though:

Christopher Nolan's Batman series has aimed to be gritty, and as realistic as possible. Up to this point he has succeeded in every way and made movies that while were comic book movies, stood on their own base as a film as well. And "The Dark Knight" will be THE standard by which all supposed gritty, realistic, comic book movies will have to live up to. (Including TDKR)

Joss Whedon's "The Avengers" was written to be faithful to/inspired by the comic, be funny, not worry about realism, be a sequel to multiple movies (from several other different writers AND directors, though I'm sure Marvel studios were pulling the strings a bit) yet be a standalone movie and possibly series of it's own, oh yeah and be a successful movie with numbers and reviews similar to other Marvel Studios movies. I thought The Avengers did that incredibly, and actually made me feel like I was watching a comic book as a movie.

So yeah, very different styles. The Dark Knight will always be my favorite comic book Movie, and The Avengers will always be my favorite Comic Book movie.

Last edited by mksmith2; 05-21-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,210
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by mksmith2 View Post
    Ditto.

For what it's worth though:

Christopher Nolan's Batman series has aimed to be gritty, and as realistic as possible. Up to this point he has succeeded in every way and made movies that while were comic book movies, stood on their own base as a film as well. And "The Dark Knight" will be THE standard by which all supposed gritty, realistic, comic book movies will have to live up to. (Including TDKR)

Joss Whedon's "The Avengers" was written to be faithful to/inspired by the comic, be funny, not worry about realism, be a sequel to multiple movies (from several other different writers AND directors, though I'm sure Marvel studios were pulling the strings a bit) yet be a standalone movie and possibly series of it's own, oh yeah and be a successful movie with numbers and reviews similar to other Marvel Studios movies. I thought The Avengers did that incredibly, and actually made me feel like I was watching a comic book as a movie.

So yeah, very different styles. The Dark Knight will always be my favorite comic book Movie, and The Avengers will always be my favorite Comic Book movie.
    bingo.

I'm not sure The Avengers would even work as a realistic movie....

John Walters is my hero

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 142

Both movies are great but you're coming at me with Batman/Dark Knight is "realistic"?
    Really?

Starter
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

I think The Dark Knight is in the same group of movie as the Original Crow movie and I think The Crow is still over The Dark Knight.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

The new Batman films are the best "comic-book movies" of all time. The Dark Knight is the best ever, and the Dark Knight Rises might just beat it.

No contest with cheesy Marvel movies. The Nolan-Batman films are simply the best.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Both movies are great but you're coming at me with Batman/Dark Knight is "realistic"?
    Really?
    They're still far-fetched, but are within the realm of possibility. Much more realistic than an alien army attacking the earth under the leadership of the brother of Thor (also an alien).

Is it likely you'll run into the Joker? No. But it's plausible.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

The Avengers is the "Star Wars" of comic book movies.

The Dark Knight is the "Heat" of comic book movies...

Both are very good.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 291

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    For me, that's why The Avengers can't be considered the best. Perhaps the best of the "eye candy" superhero movies, but The Dark Knight takes the cake as the best, IMO. I wanted to see The Avengers, but I'm still more excited about DKR.
    I really think that Dark Knight Rises is going to be pretty disappointing. Hope I'm wrong.