Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

Digital Music Help Needed

So my wife and I collectively have about a 1000 +/- CDs. She was a DJ at Iowa State back in the day.

Anyway, we want to start converting our music over to digital, and I have some questions.

Knowing that we are android/pc people both with motorolas and android tablets.

1. What is the best desktop application to do this in and store/organize our music. Is there a cloud solution? Should I store all these files on a portable hard drive?

2. I want to make playlists to use for my phone and sony walkman. Right now I have several in WMP, but didn't know if there was a better solution out there.

3. Itunes - one of my friends told me I should use the Itunes application anyway, but I found it not very intuitive like most apple things.

4. I have an old computer we are not using with XP on it, would it best for me to set it up as a music computer, kind of like a juke box, and just use it for music? My hesitation for using my main computer/laptop, is it is my machine for work, and I don't want to cross purpose that much, nor do I really want her on my machine. :-) or, if we put all the music on the external hard drive, she could just connect it to her stuff when she wanted.

5. Also curious for the best way to connect digital music with my sound systems (2) in the house. Both have wifi enabled devices attached to them.

thanks, any advice appreciated. We are big music people, but just have loved our CDs that we have spent decades collecting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re:Digital Music Help Needed

Switch to iphone and use itunes

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,110
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 78

Re: Digital Music Help Needed

Some wireless routers have a USB port on them that allow you to connect a storage device (including a external hard drive). This makes it a shared data storage location that any device on your network would be able to access. That would probably solve your need to access on multiple computers/devices, and allow your wifi enabled sound systems to access it too.

As far a syncing playlists across that, however, could be interesting. I haven't experimented with it much myself (as of yet).

Also, don't listen for the 'switch to iPhone cause it's simpler' garbage. It'd be more of a pain in the long run.

CY-CL-ON-ES! Cyclones!
    Cyclones! Go State!

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I bleed cardinal and urinate gold.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

just find all the CDs on torrent sites and DL them there

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 960
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

I use Google Music Manager for the PC and Play Music for the Droid.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    So my wife and I collectively have about a 1000 +/- CDs. She was a DJ at Iowa State back in the day.

Anyway, we want to start converting our music over to digital, and I have some questions.

1. What is the best desktop application to do this in and store/organize our music. Is there a cloud solution? Should I store all these files on a portable hard drive?
    In my mind, iTunes is still the best overall app to do this. I nt through this same thing with around 700 CDs. I bought a 1TB USB 3 drive and it worked/works flawlessly. Positive side is you can connect it to any computer.

2. I want to make playlists to use for my phone and sony walkman. Right now I have several in WMP, but didn't know if there was a better solution out there.
    iTunes will easily create those playlists. I just updated my 80gig iPod the other day. Piece of cake.

3. Itunes - one of my friends told me I should use the Itunes application anyway, but I found it not very intuitive like most apple things.
    I'm not sure there is anything more intuitive out there.

4. I have an old computer we are not using with XP on it, would it best for me to set it up as a music computer, kind of like a juke box, and just use it for music? My hesitation for using my main computer/laptop, is it is my machine for work, and I don't want to cross purpose that much, nor do I really want her on my machine. :-) or, if we put all the music on the external hard drive, she could just connect it to her stuff when she wanted.
    I would still put it on an external drive. If the old computer craps out you still have the collection out there. The other option is to do both. Put the collection on the old machine (if the drive is big enough) and back it up on an external. Save the files in the highest quality possible. That way if you do stream it in your house the sound quality will be good.

5. Also curious for the best way to connect digital music with my sound systems (2) in the house. Both have wifi enabled devices attached to them.
    Sonos is the best equipment on the market for sharing music. The devices just work and there are options for controlling them with other devices. Check it out!
    Wireless Home Music Systems and HiFi Music Players from Sonos

thanks, any advice appreciated. We are big music people, but just have loved our CDs that we have spent decades collecting.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post

1&3. Whether you're an Apple person or not, I really like iTunes. Ripping music from CDs is very straightforward.

4. If your pc is so old it doesn't even have XP, it's not going to be able to handle your music collection or any applications associated with managing one.

5. If you have an old computer, this just isn't going to work. You need to get a Windows 7 pc that can stream music anywhere on your network, like to a bluray player, DirecTV box, gaming system, etc. that is then connected to your audio equipment.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

DoubleTwist. And it's free, and will sync your android/PC just like iTunes. I actually prefer it to iTunes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    DoubleTwist. And it's free, and will sync your android/PC just like iTunes. I actually prefer it to iTunes.
    DoubleTwist is good, I used it when I had an Android phone. I doubt a computer older than XP can run it thought. The only thing I didn't like about DoubleTwist is it puts a gap in between songs, but so do a lot of other music players other than iTunes. Very annoying when you're listening to something continuous like a live album or something like The Wall.

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

I also use Doubletwist. The app for the phone and your PC is easy to use. You can create playlists and all that if you want. I'd give that a try.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Google Music or Spotify.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I am going to go with using WMP and try the Double Twist.

Figuring out how to connect to the home theatre system will be next. For now, I can use the media cradle for my phone with a remote and hook the hdmi up to the receiver, but I like the wireless system suggestion above too. I am all for wireless. Tired of wiring crap.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 659
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    4. If your pc is so old it doesn't even have XP, it's not going to be able to handle your music collection or any applications associated with managing one.
    Are you serious? haha. Complete ********.

The OP could probably go back to Windows 95 and still support his music collection quite easily. I've been doing it since Windows 95. A system storing MP3s or whatever format and and playing them back is anything but resource intensive unless you're talking about hard drive space (which is easily fixable with an external drive). How do you think people did it before iTunes? iTunes wasn't the first music organization program out there. It's easily one of the most intensive, but you don't even need it. Think back to Napster which was 1999. Not everyone had Windows 98 who was using that...

Hell, get Winamp and if you're concerned with newer versions not working with your OS, then download an old version at http://www.oldversion.com/Winamp.html

Last edited by marothisu; 05-20-2012 at 11:06 AM.