Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 328

Miles Brand's e-mail address

mbrand@ncaa.org

I think we might want to let him know what we think.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 866

Re: Miles Brand's e-mail address

best to be professional and rational.... rather than irrational and upset.

going off half cocked won't help our situation.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Agree. Kelvin sampson get's to cheet yet were honest and nothing.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    mbrand@ncaa.org

I think we might want to let him know what we think.

I wrote him first thing this am......

Mr. Brand

I am writing in regards to a recent ruling by the NCAA concerning a freshman basketball player from Iowa State University named Lucca Staiger. He was declared ineligible by your organization for the upcoming basketball season because as a 16 year old young man in Germany, he chose to play for a club team hoping to eventually land a scholarship to a university in the States. As it was later found out (two years later, I might add) two of the players on the team were paid more than the allowance for an amatuer team thus making their team a "professional team" even though they were all 16 year old kids. Although Lucca never earned a dollar for his service with this team, he decided to report this occurance to Iowa State so the appropriate officials were made aware of the situation. Never in his wildest dreams did he think that this act of goodwill would end up costing him his freshman year of eligibility.

I have many issues with the ruling by the NCAA. First off, Lucca never received any benefit from his club team but he is being punished like he did. If Reggie Bush took money as a college student to play for USC, does that make the rest of his teammates ineligible including the current players whose eligibility overlapped with Mr. Bush's? Even a better example would be the current team at Oklahoma University. They had two players suspended a year ago for receiving illegal benefits. Does this mean that all players on the team, outside of the new recruits this year, should be ineligible? I believe the NCAA is creating a slippery slope by enforcing their ruling. Their are numerous club teams in Europe who pay players for their service and a good number of these players, and their teammates, eventually play for NCAA division 1 schools. If the NCAA wants to continue their witch hunt, like they have against Mr. Staiger, they need to be prepared to suspend others because you and I both know that Mr. Staiger is not the only person caught in this situation.

Whether it is perception or reality, the prevailing opinion of college sports fans is that the NCAA has lost its way. In its intended purpose, the NCAA is a great organization that is designed to help the student-athlete. Please explain to me how suspending a young man who broke no rules is a benefit to anyone? The NCAA has turned into nothing more than a protection agency for the powerful, national programs and it chooses to enforce silly and unreasonable rules against schools who do not have the national recognition to appease the critics like myself who say that the NCAA is a farce. If you want to bring respect back to your organization, you need to start by treating all institutions
    equally.

I ask that you please re-visit the ruling against Mr. Staiger. He is a great young man and all he wants to do is play basketball and receive a great education. I am sure you rely everyday on your collegues to do the right thing in their jobs. Mr. Staiger did the same thing as a 16 year old and is now being penalized for it, in the most severe form I might add.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Rookie
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

Very well thought through. I hope all of this gets Lucca a re-evaluation and change in his eligibility status.

"You can observe a lot by watching" ~Yogi Berra

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    best to be professional and rational.... rather than irrational and upset.

going off half cocked won't help our situation.

- keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyboy View Post
    I wrote him first thing this am......

Mr. Brand

I am writing in regards to a recent ruling by the NCAA concerning a freshman basketball player from Iowa State University named Lucca Staiger. He was declared ineligible by your organization for the upcoming basketball season because as a 16 year old young man in Germany, he chose to play for a club team hoping to eventually land a scholarship to a university in the States. As it was later found out (two years later, I might add) two of the players on the team were paid more than the allowance for an amatuer team thus making their team a "professional team" even though they were all 16 year old kids. Although Lucca never earned a dollar for his service with this team, he decided to report this occurance to Iowa State so the appropriate officials were made aware of the situation. Never in his wildest dreams did he think that this act of goodwill would end up costing him his freshman year of eligibility.

I have many issues with the ruling by the NCAA. First off, Lucca never received any benefit from his club team but he is being punished like he did. If Reggie Bush took money as a college student to play for USC, does that make the rest of his teammates ineligible including the current players whose eligibility overlapped with Mr. Bush's? Even a better example would be the current team at Oklahoma University. They had two players suspended a year ago for receiving illegal benefits. Does this mean that all players on the team, outside of the new recruits this year, should be ineligible? I believe the NCAA is creating a slippery slope by enforcing their ruling. Their are numerous club teams in Europe who pay players for their service and a good number of these players, and their teammates, eventually play for NCAA division 1 schools. If the NCAA wants to continue their witch hunt, like they have against Mr. Staiger, they need to be prepared to suspend others because you and I both know that Mr. Staiger is not the only person caught in this situation.

Whether it is perception or reality, the prevailing opinion of college sports fans is that the NCAA has lost its way. In its intended purpose, the NCAA is a great organization that is designed to help the student-athlete. Please explain to me how suspending a young man who broke no rules is a benefit to anyone? The NCAA has turned into nothing more than a protection agency for the powerful, national programs and it chooses to enforce silly and unreasonable rules against schools who do not have the national recognition to appease the critics like myself who say that the NCAA is a farce. If you want to bring respect back to your organization, you need to start by treating all institutions
    equally.

I ask that you please re-visit the ruling against Mr. Staiger. He is a great young man and all he wants to do is play basketball and receive a great education. I am sure you rely everyday on your collegues to do the right thing in their jobs. Mr. Staiger did the same thing as a 16 year old and is now being penalized for it, in the most severe form I might add.

Thank you for your time and attention.
    Perfect advice from keep.

Perfect letter from cyboy. Great letter!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 214

cyboy demonstrated the intelligent way of responding to this situation instead of the method some seemingly want to employ.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

method some seemingly want to employ.
    Trust me. I want to employ that method and if this thing does not get turned in our favor. I will employ that method.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Trust me. I want to employ that method and if this thing does not get turned in our favor. I will employ that method.
    Are you going to kick him in the balls too? I think we can compromise, you get the right one and I get the left one.

On a more serious note, I've sent my email too, and kept it civil. It would be great if he got some more too.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I can't imagine a bunch of emails to Brand will do anything more than annoy him, but that's me.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    cyboy demonstrated the intelligent way of responding to this situation instead of the method some seemingly want to employ.
    Just because a bunch of us scream and use many shift+number symbols on an ISU message board doesn't mean we can't form a coherent sentence when contacting those in the position to make a difference.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone08 View Post
    Just because a bunch of us scream and use many shift+number symbols on an ISU message board doesn't mean we can't form a coherent sentence when contacting those in the position to make a difference.
    I don't believe that you read his post right. He never said that we cannot form coherent sentences.

Just be rational in your letters/e-mails, etc. A lot of us have been stressing that.

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I can't imagine a bunch of emails to Brand will do anything more than annoy him, but that's me.
    Perhaps, although as long as he lets this ruling stand he probably deserves to be annoyed a bit.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I am not seeing a downside on that.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Miles Brand is annoying so let's annoy him back. Notice how he is not punishing his buddy Kelvin Sampson at IU??? It's amazing.