Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

Bowlsby says need to hit "pause" on realignment

Interesting, cart is getting ahead of the horse on FSU apparently 12:15 5/16

Big 12's Bowlsby wants 'pause' on realignment, but ... | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Last edited by ketelmeister; 05-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Bowlsby says need to hit "pause" on realignment

Finally the register posts an article on the Florida State topic. Is this the register's first post on FSU to the Big 12, since the comments from Tallahassee? This is the first time i've ever typed Tallahassee- I like it!

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 3

If anything happens this summer I will be shocked, there is just soooo much speculation how can you believe any of this? I would love to have FSU, Clemson, but just so many opinions on the matter of they are staying or going.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

Was that his stance at Stanford when the Big 6 were headed west?

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 74

I don't think it is a matter of whether or not Bowlsby would like to hit pause on the issue. If you have schools out there at the level of FSU and Clemson that are interested in jumping ship to your conference, you strike while the iron is hot. I don't ever see us pulling a team out of the SEC or B1G, so if you throw those out, what better options are we going to have? Not just this year, but ever?

I would agree with taking a pause if there was just some baseless desire to get back to 12. If we were looking at some combo of like Louisville, BYU, or Cincy, then I agree there is no rush. Those guys aren't going anywhere, and they will be available later, so go ahead and carefully weigh your options. If you have two whales like Clemson and FSU on the line, you real it in. They are great for the footprint, great for the bottom line, and great for the product on the field.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 241

I think he's just making it clear that big 12 isn't going to just bring in new schools without crunching all the numbers first. It sounds like he gets that expansion is just going to be part of the next few years but doesn't want to make it seem like the big 12's survival depends on expansion.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

This makes me feel really good about Pollard's and Bowlsby's relationship and being on the same page. JP said on the tailgate tours that he thinks it best for ISU if the Big 12 stays at 10 teams. It's nice to hear the Commish is also in that mind set, for now at least, or until we can crunch numbers and figure out if its really a positive thing for all current 10 teams to add more.

I'm just glad I didnt hear Bowlsby say, we're excited to add new teams right away after Pollard says its better for ISU that we stay at 10.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyisu View Post
    This makes me feel really good about Pollard's and Bowlsby's relationship and being on the same page. JP said on the tailgate tours that he thinks it best for ISU if the Big 12 stays at 10 teams. It's nice to hear the Commish is also in that mind set, for now at least, or until we can crunch numbers and figure out if its really a positive thing for all current 10 teams to add more.

I'm just glad I didnt hear Bowlsby say, we're excited to add new teams right away after Pollard says its better for ISU that we stay at 10.

JP in secret knows that it is ISU's best interest for the Big12 to expand and get away from this round robin nonsense.

Or else every year will be a struggle to meet bowl eligibility.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    JP in secret knows that it is ISU's best interest for the Big12 to expand and get away from this round robin nonsense.

You know this is what I thought all along too, but JP and made several statements lately that it's better on many levels that Big 12 stays at 10. So, I dont know...

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyisu View Post
    You know this is what I thought all along too, but JP and made several statements lately that it's better on many levels that Big 12 stays at 10. So, I dont know...
    Same deal as these schools saying they are committed to the conference up until the press conference where they leave. The Big 12 needs to show stability and financial benefits to attract the top expansion candidates. You don't do that by having half of your schools out there saying they are happy with the conference as is and others saying this just isn't working and we need to go back to 12.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

I think the "pause" could be related to the uncertainty surrounding eligibility and payouts from the new playoff format.

With 12 teams and a CCG, an underdog division winner in the CCG could screw the conference out of a spot in the playoffs which in turn could cost the conference money from the playoffs. In that scenario, you could argue staying put at 10 teams is the way to go, especially if the TV revenue payout for increasing to 12 teams is not that much more.

Also, calling the round robin format "nonsense" is crybaby whining. Everyone agrees it is the best method to determine a conference champ as opposed to the CCG nonsense.

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 312

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    I think the "pause" could be related to the uncertainty surrounding eligibility and payouts from the new playoff format.

With 12 teams and a CCG, an underdog division winner in the CCG could screw the conference out of a spot in the playoffs which in turn could cost the conference money from the playoffs. In that scenario, you could argue staying put at 10 teams is the way to go, especially if the TV revenue payout for increasing to 12 teams is not that much more.

Also, calling the round robin format "nonsense" is crybaby whining. Everyone agrees it is the best method to determine a conference champ as opposed to the CCG nonsense.

"Pause" is just the politically correct thing for him to say right now. To look eager would make them a conspirator in raiding the ACC. Saying the opposite is just good positioning right now. There is plenty that still needs to shake out to see if this is even something to consider. It is not unlike the dance that Oklahoma played with the PAC12.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

If I were in Bowsby's shoes, I would say EXACTLY what he is saying.
    1. It puts the onus on FSU to WANT to be in
    2. It will make the fans want the Big 12 even more
    3. It lets other know "we" are in a strong position and will add on "our" terms
    4. It keeps the Big 12 from looking like we are poaching.

He did well at Iowa and Stanford, and the guy looks brilliant to me. This is simply great positioning. Will he add teams, Yes. Does he want FSU, Yes. You can take that to the bank. I feel good about this hire.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

Well said. If I looked right, the very scenario you mentioned happened 5 times during the 15 seasons that the Big 12 had a championship game. In likely all those cases, the Big 12 would have been knocked out of the playoffs.

unranked UT beats #3 NU (1996)
    #10 TAMU beats #2 KSU (1998)
    #9 CU beats #3 UT (2001)
    #15 KSU beats #1 OU (2003)
    #9 OU beats #1 MU (2007)

Also noting that in 2002, 2006, and 2010, the higher ranked Big 12 team won the championship game but was ranked too low to likely get into the playoff (#8, #8, and #10 respectively), the CCG would have knocked the Big 12 out of the playoff nearly 1/2 (5/12) of the time that the Big 12 had a legitimate shot at making the playoff.

Big 12 Championship Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-16-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

Nothing "crybaby" about it....it is just a reality that most year will be a dogfight to get to bowl eligibility unless you are OK,TX.

To not see that is having your head in the sand.

Carrying the banner for ISU.