Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The final nail in the coffin for Callahan?

On Tuesday during his weekly call-in show, Bill Callahan said that his Huskers needed to "watch out for Limas Sweed" of the Longhorns. The only problem with that is Limas Sweed has been sidelined since October 8 with a wrist injury and is out for the season.

Mac Gs World: Dumbest College Coach in America

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Re: The final nail in the coffin for Callahan?

Bill is hunkered down and playing out the last month while wearing brown sweaters.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I heard Navy is watching a lot of tape of Joe Montana for the game on Nov 3.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan65 View Post
    On Tuesday during his weekly call-in show, Bill Callahan said that his Huskers needed to "watch out for Limas Sweed" of the Longhorns.
    You didn't hear him clearly ... he said "They can't fire me because I'm a Swede."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"I only cost the university fund $67k a month. Why do people expect so much?"

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

Freaking classic. Almost as good as Zook talking about how they needed to watch out for Iowa's RB Nate Kaeding before their bowl game.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Freaking classic. Almost as good as Zook talking about how they needed to watch out for Iowa's RB Nate Kaeding before their bowl game.
    hahaha.. i've never heard that before

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hilarious Bill site:
    Fire Bill Callahan

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Killeen Daily Herald - Recent downfall of Cornhuskers, Callahan not as fun as it should be

Recent downfall of Cornhuskers, Callahan not as fun as it should be Posted on: Thursday, October 25, 2007

This could be an absolute first for me, but I'll say it anyway. I hate it that the Nebraska Cornhuskers are the laughing stock of the Big 12 Conference.

Growing up in Kansas you're bred to loathe anything with the trademark red "N" on it. It doesn't matter if you're a Wildcat or a Jayhawk, all of us are armed and ready to defend our northern border when either Kansas State or Kansas play the hated Cornhuskers. This is what 60-plus combined years of losing to the "Big Red" will do to you.

Thankfully, I saw K-State's 30-year and KU's 36-year winless streaks come to ends in my lifetime, but the "Cornshuckers" haven't been nearly as enjoyable to make fun of under Bill Callahan.

Even though the Wildcats and Jayhawks have been relatively successful against the Huskers during my adult life, they were still the team to beat in the Big 12 North before Callahan. Now, fear is the last thing that comes to mind when you see Nebraska on your schedule. The thought, "Well, at least we won't go winless" is much more likely.

We need a new punching bag and it appears we'll get it at the end of the season after Athletic Director Steve Pederson was canned and replaced with the legendary Tom Osborne (on an interim basis) and with Callahan registering his fourth straight season with at least four losses, including a 36-14 loss to Texas A&M in the "Which coach wants to get fired first" Bowl sponsored by Monster.com last week.

The saddest part of the whole Mid(West) Coast debacle is that even the Big Red faithful are coming over to the Husker-hater picnic and they won't be leaving until Callahan is sent packing along with Pederson.

Craig Bohl of North Dakota State, Gary Patterson of TCU, Turner Gill of Buffalo, Bo Pelini of LSU and former Minnesota coach Glen Mason all have been rumored as candidates to bring the Huskers back to prominence. Whoever winds up with the job, I hope he can put out the ethanol explosion that is Nebraska football.

On a related note, Nebraska comes to Austin this weekend to take on the No. 19-ranked Texas Longhorns and if you've never had the chance to go to a Big 12 game Saturday could be your lucky day.

Just look for anyone in red on Sixth Street and I would almost guarantee you could get a ticket for the cost of a beer.

As always, here is your regular dose of sports randomness.

Like Callahan, Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione will be looking for a new job next year. Right? Coach Fran has an almost uncanny ability to get a win when the hot seat is nearly nuclear temperature.

He finally beat Texas in 2006 which kept him around for 2007 and right when you think he sealed his fate with the insider newsletter scandal, he beats Callahan and the Huskers in their pillow fight last week. The Aggies could go winless in their next three games, but if he beats Texas again this year, does the A&M administration become somewhat gun-shy about canning Franchione? I think A&M will do the right thing, but it makes you wonder.

In what is the most memorable college football seasons in a very long time, No. 2-ranked Boston College and No. 8-ranked Virginia Tech could add another reason why tonight in Blacksburg, Va. The Eagles are the newly anointed No. 2 after South Florida's collapse last Thursday against Rutgers and the Hokies are always tough at home. This game has everything. A Heisman-hopeful (BC's Matt Ryan) looking to strengthen his case, national championship implications the underlying plot of the tragedy at Virginia Tech in the spring.

Heading into the bye week, Dallas' Patrick Crayton is looking pretty smart after boldly stating the Cowboys will see the still-undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. Dallas has three straight NFC East division games after the week off, but once again the ball bounced the Cowboys' way against Minnesota. Although coaches and players are predominantly responsible for a team's success, there is always an element of luck for any Super Bowl-winning team and Dallas has had all the luck this season.

So, it turns out I was right about picking the participants of the 2007 World Series even though the Boston Red Sox almost made me look like a fool. Regardless of who won Game 1 Wednesday, I think this series will go seven games with the Rockies winning their first-ever championship. If you were wondering (and you probably weren't), my pick is based purely on the hope of getting a life-time supply of Coors Light because I was one of the few who picked Colorado to win.

Contact Matthew Girard at mgirard@kdhnews.com or (254) 501-7569.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

NU may need three more wins for bowl invitation - Sports - Huskers - The Columbus Telegram - Columbus, Nebraska's Community Newspaper

NU may need three more wins for bowl invitation

By The Associated Press
    Tuesday, Oct 23, 2007 - 08:59:36 am CDT

LINCOLN (AP) -- Bowl eligibility used to be taken for granted at Nebraska. Those days are a memory.

The Cornhuskers (4-4, 1-3 Big 12) must win two of their last four games to be eligible for a postseason bid. Just reaching the .500 mark doesn’t guarantee an invitation, so the Huskers probably need to win three games.

That’s asking a lot for a team whose defense has given up 6.6 yards a play during a three-game losing streak that has seen the Huskers outscored by a combined 122-34.

Now consider that the Huskers play three of their next four games on the road, starting Saturday at No. 17 Texas (6-2, 2-2).

“We’ve got to keep upbeat and positive. There’s nothing you can do otherwise,” coach Bill Callahan said Monday. “You can’t go into the tank mentally. We can’t give up and point fingers. You rally your kids and help them through it.”

This is the third time in four seasons under Callahan that the Huskers have lost three straight games. Another loss would give them four in a row for the first time since 1961.

They already have lost three home games in a season for the first time since 1968 ��” the year folks in Omaha began a petition drive calling for the ouster of Bob Devaney.

Devaney survived and ended up coaching the Huskers to two national titles before retiring and turning over the program to Tom Osborne in 1973.

Callahan is under more pressure than Devaney was four decades ago. Osborne, who won 255 games and three national titles in 25 seasons, returned last week as interim athletic director after the firing of Steve Pederson.

It will be Osborne who decides whether Callahan is back next year, and he’s made no secret of the fact he’s disappointed with the fall of the program he helped build.

Callahan has said he won’t resign ��” not when he stands to collect more than $3 million from a potential contract buyout. Osborne has said his decision won’t be affected by the prospect of having to pay Callahan millions to go away.

Callahan said he and his staff will keep coaching hard.

He tweaked his game-day routine for Texas A&M by inviting offensive coordinator Shawn Watson to join him on the sidelines and help with the play-calling. Callahan spent additional time monitoring the goings-on of the defense ��” “putting in my 2 cents,” he said.

“We understand we can be a better football team, and we’re doing everything we can to get these kids to play better,” Callahan said. “They’re receptive in that regard, and we try to hang together and stay tightknit and put out the best product that we can.”

Callahan said the one thing the Huskers must do to enhance their chances of winning is to defend the run better.

Nebraska, on track to have its worst defense in program history, is 105th out of 119 major-college teams in total defense at 457.4 yards a game. The Huskers are allowing an average of 227.4 rushing yards to rank 115th.

Last week, Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee ran for 167 yards and running back Jorvorskie Lane for 130.

The week before, Oklahoma State’s Dantrell Savage gashed the Huskers for 212.

And the week before that, Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel ran for 72 and passed for 401.

Texas’ top rusher is Jamaal Charles, who is averaging 90 yards a game but hasn’t run for more than 79 in four Big 12 contests.

Callahan said the Huskers must correct fundamental breakdowns and become better at making adjustments.

“We’ll keep grinding on that end,” he said.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nebraska's Callahan coaching on borrowed time

Nebraska's Callahan coaching on borrowed time

By Cedric Golden
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007
    Bill Callahan is not a bad coach.
    Bad coaches rarely lead teams to the Super Bowl. But Nebraska's head coach is caught in the crosshairs of a hideous college football reality that has plummeted somewhere south of Mexico and just north of hell.
    Dave Weaver
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Bill Callahan

Nati Harnik
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    (enlarge photo)
    Tom Osborne

You would have thought the Texas Longhorns would be worried in the preseason, with Nebraska and Kansas State on the schedule, but it turns out they were only half right. Unfortunately for Callahan, Texas is relishing a chance to run the ball against the Big 12's worst rushing defense and the nation's fourth-worst.
    The Cornhuskers give up 5.1 yards per rushing attempt and a staggering 227.4 rushing yards per game, a number that ranks 115th nationally. At the rate teams are gobbling up yards against the Huskers they're giving up 6.6 yards per play over the last three games it would make any smart offensive coordinator take the shoot out of a run-and-shoot offense.
    Callahan's problems extend beyond getting his players to become better tacklers. A new problem could be getting players period if this brutality continues.
    The one thing Nebraska has relied on during its storied history is a winning tradition. A sub-par run of seasons will affect future recruiting classes and, ultimately, the bottom line: money spent by the fan base.
    "A prospect selects a school because of its tradition and value,'' Callahan said. "We tell them to stay in there and support our staff and our program. We really try to sell that value to them."
    Let's face it, though: a recruit wants free cable if he can get it, a campus full of pretty girls and, most importantly, stability in his football program.
    Nebraska is anything but stable these days. It's easy to chalk up a 1-3 Big 12 record (Nebraska is 4-4 overall) to the crazy state of affairs in college football, but that doesn't fly in Lincoln, where the fan base lives, breathes, sweats and shucks Huskers football.
    Three straight conference losses by an average score of 41-11 have added up to a Big Red mess that is the buzz of radio shows and Web sites.
    "We have to keep upbeat and positive,'' Callahan said. "There's nothing else you can do otherwise. You can't give up. You have to rally your kids and help them through this. We're struggling right now and we're doing everything we can to keep these kids playing together."
    Callahan is handling this well, but this has to be killing him inside. Or is it?
    Nebraska would have to fork over a $3 million check to buy out his contract. If that happened, Callahan would have been fired twice during the last four seasons. It wasn't long ago that he led the Oakland Raiders in a Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay. Seems like 1865 at this point, considering Nebraska has won only two games in the last 31 days.
    Callahan's Super Bowl loss probably tasted better than the bitterness of finishing as the runner-up to Dennis Franchione, in what was billed as the Buyout Bowl last week. The 36-15 beatdown by Texas A&M was the third home loss of the season for Nebraska and the latest gut shot in a tumultuous month that included the firing of athletic director Steve Pederson and the reappearance of coaching legend Tom Osborne as interim AD.
    If Texas works the Huskers as the 211/2-point spread suggests, Nebraska will lose four straight games for the first time since 1961. Sportswriting legend George Breazeale says it may be time for Osborne to make an appearance in the Nebraska locker room and help light a fire under a defense that has done little to earn a coveted title of Blackshirts.
    The problem, as I told George, is that some of these kids weren't around when Osborne was dominating college football. They would probably recognize Sharon Osbourne a lot faster.
    Winning can cure myriad problems, but with games coming up against Texas, Kansas and Kansas State, Callahan's program may continue to crumble.
    For how long remains to be seen.

A RED(FACED) OCTOBER
    Nebraska entered the month with a 4-1 record (its only loss 49-31 to then-No. 1 Southern Cal). Since Oct. 6, three straight losses and a fired athletic director have Husker fans wondering if head coach Bill Callahan will be next.
    The losses:
    Missouri 41, Nebraska 6 (Oct. 6): The blackshirt defense fails Huskers as Mizzou's Chase Daniel throws for 401 yards.
    Oklahoma State 45, Nebraska 14 (Oct. 13): Cowboys roll out to 38-0 halftime lead and cruise at homecoming in Lincoln. NU athletic director Steve Pederson was fired the following week and ex-Husker coaching legend Tom Osborne was named interim athletic director.
    Texas A&M 36, Nebraska 14 (Oct. 20): The Aggies pile up 344 yards on the ground as Huskers lose third game at home in same season for first time since 1968.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Kansas.com | 10/23/2007 | Why is Callahan suddenly so inept?

Why is Callahan suddenly so inept?

Funniest headline of the year: "Kid Rock arrested in Waffle House scuffle"....
    • Is Nebraska's Bill Callahan a bad football coach?
    The obvious answer is, "Heck yeah, are you serious?"
    But that's too shallow. And it doesn't take into account that Callahan has been coaching football for nearly 30 years. He learned from the ground up. He coached under Mike White, Ray Rhodes and John Gruden, among others.
    He was Gruden's offensive coordinator with the Oakland Raiders. And when Gruden left for Tampa Bay, Callahan took the Raiders to the Super Bowl after the 2002 season.
    Of course, just a year later Oakland was 4-12; and Callahan was run out of town.
    Still, it doesn't make sense that a guy who has been around as long as Callahan, and who is respected in coaching, is suddenly inept.
    It sure looks that way, though.
    Nebraska has been outscored 122-34 in their last three games -- two at home -- and is giving up 6.6 yards per play.
    Not per possession. Per play.
    The Huskers rank 105th of 119 bowl subdivision teams in defense and are giving up 457.4 yards per game.
    And this week, they play No. 17 Texas.
    Next week, they go to No. 12 Kansas.
    It's ugly and getting uglier.
    Not to mention that the Greatest Husker of Them All, Dr. Tom Osborne, is now sticking his nose into things as interim athletic director.
    Osborne reminds Nebraska fans of better times. Before the Huskers' 36-14 loss to Texas A&M on Saturday, Osborne met with a group of boosters and sang a conciliatory tune.
    He was in perfect pitch and, reportedly, those who listened to Osborne came away feeling soothed.
    Then they had to watch the game.
    Callahan probably isn't long for this gig. At this point, who could blame the Huskers for cutting ties?
    But I still wonder if Nebraska's issues go deeper than the coach. Because I question whether Callahan is really this bad.