Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,111
    Given: 792

Mental Health Awareness Week

Here's a shout-out to the most "stable" group of people that I know - my CF buddies!

MENTAL HOSPITAL PHONE MENU

Hello and thank you for calling the State Mental Hospital.

Please select from the following options menu:

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want, stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be forwarded to the Mother Ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, nothing will make you happy anyway.

If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969696.

If you are bipolar, please leave a message after the beep or before the beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self-esteem, please hang up as our operators are too busy to talk with you.

If you are menopausal, put the gun down, hang up, turn on the fan, lie down and cry. You won't be crazy forever.

If you are blonde, don't press any buttons, you'll just mess it up.

This coming week is National Mental Health Care week. You can do your part by remembering to contact at least one unstable person to show you care.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Mental Health Awareness Week

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Here's a shout-out to the most "stable" group of people that I know - my CF buddies!

MENTAL HOSPITAL PHONE MENU

Hello and thank you for calling the State Mental Hospital.

Please select from the following options menu:

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want, stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be forwarded to the Mother Ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, nothing will make you happy anyway.

If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969696.

If you are bipolar, please leave a message after the beep or before the beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self-esteem, please hang up as our operators are too busy to talk with you.

If you are menopausal, put the gun down, hang up, turn on the fan, lie down and cry. You won't be crazy forever.

If you are blonde, don't press any buttons, you'll just mess it up.

This coming week is National Mental Health Care week. You can do your part by remembering to contact at least one unstable person to show you care.
    Generally, for people who know and care about about someone who has a serious mental health issue, making fun or light of their illness is not funny.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This post goes out to all the Mac Homers posting the Legend crap....................

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,857
    Given: 874

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Tremain View Post
    Generally, for people who know and care about about someone who has a serious mental health issue, making fun or light of their illness is not funny.
    We pretty much knew that was coming, didn't we?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 56

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    We pretty much knew that was coming, didn't we?
    If your remark is addressing the content of my comment, please tell me what it is with which you take umbrage.

If your remark was meant to personally insult me because I do not believe playfully mocking people with a mental health illness is funny, then, congratulations, Cyclonepride. Mission accomplished.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Tremain View Post
    If your remark is addressing the content of my comment, please tell me what it is with which you take umbrage.

If your remark was meant to personally insult me because I do not believe playfully mocking people with a mental health illness is funny, then, congratulations, Cyclonepride. Mission accomplished.
    No, it was not meant to personally insult you. I meant that I knew when I saw it posted that someone would take offense. He has the right to post it, you have the right to be offended. America works. Yippeee

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 251

As far as the awareness of mental issues goes....

As somebody with clinical OCD, I can say that I've noticed a greater awareness towards mental issues the past few years but I've also noticed that a lot more tv shows and movies try to twist some of the diseases in ways that make them seem far less severe and invasive than they really are. I don't take it personally when somebody makes fun of OCD but I do notice that it seems to be categorized as much less invasive than it really is. Obviously OCD isn't leathal like some diseases but it's a good example of how sometimes people are made fun of when they really have no control over the cause and effect of that in which they're being made fun of for.

I know somebody posted in a different thread today about how Jake Sullivan was talking about his fight against OCD and I'm glad to see that somebody that we all look up to locally can get up in front of people and talk about something so personal. OCD is often looked at as something to laugh at or make fun of and I know several people that feel ashamed because they can't get out of their house due to how severe their case is, let alone be a contributing part of society. Having somebody talking about it publically can only help the awareness and acceptability.

That's just one disease, there are hundreds of other diseases that have just as much of an impact, or more, on the lives people we care about lead.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 709
    Given: 529

It think OCD is much more common than people think. Different levels of severity, but I think alot of people have a touch of it. I hate to see when its dabilitating (sp).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    It think OCD is much more common than people think. Different levels of severity, but I think alot of people have a touch of it. I hate to see when its dabilitating (sp).
    I'm sure that I have a mild form of it. It was more prevalent when I was a kid. Now it's just a matter of silly little things. Checking the stove two or three times and checking all the doors several times before I go to bed, stopping the tv volume on an even number. That kind of stuff.

I had two grandparents with Alzheimer's. Obviously not very funny in reality, but humor is a way of coping with the tough things around us, so I take no offense to stuff like that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have this strange habit of picking sports teams who break my heart. I do it over and over agian...

Cyclones
    Cubs
    Bears

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

A lot of mental illnesses are being announced as being more common that previously believed. OCD, Bi-Polar/Manic Disorder, and Clinical Depression are the major three that I think have become pushed more into societal light recently.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It think OCD is much more common than people think. Different levels of severity, but I think alot of people have a touch of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'm sure that I have a mild form of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    I have this strange habit of picking sports teams who break my heart. I do it over and over agian...
    I apologize if you feel I am calling you out, but I wonder if these last three quotes illustrate exactly what Jeremy is talking about when he says: "I do notice that [OCD] seems to be categorized as much less invasive than it really is."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iceclone View Post
    I apologize if you feel I am calling you out, but I wonder if these last three quotes illustrate exactly what Jeremy is talking about when he says: "I do notice that [OCD] seems to be categorized as much less invasive than it really is."
    I don't feel like that at all. I mention that because I feel like I understand it to a certain extent, and obviously a more severe case of it would be quite debilitating.