Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

FB Recruiting needs with rest of the class

With 11 verbals that I am aware of,

Scout.com: Football Recruiting

we can certainly see some of the focus of the upcoming recruiting class. What positions will we add with the remaining schollies? For that matter, how many will we likely have to use?

I hear people talking about a place kicker, which could be as Chizik said he would address that with recruiting. I hope we are also able to land Mack to add to the O-line. We have several DE added, and maybe some will grow into interior linemen. I would love to see one or two DT, but know that is one of the hardest positions to recruit for. What are the other priorities?

Last edited by johnsonjj; 10-25-2007 at 03:40 AM. Reason: added a link

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: FB Recruiting needs with rest of the class

We need at least one DB (preferably two)
    A big DT (which you already said)
    Another OL (which you already said)
    A kicker

Beyond that...never bad to add depth to a position.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

WR - another one cannot hurt....Possible get the Finney kid out of Illinois

K - Mahoney out of Linn Mar....all you need to see is the link - this is our guy!!!
    Kohl's Player Klips - Grant Mahoney

DT - we need depth and size at this position....Swanson Miller would be awesome, but, i like our chances with the following Kendrick Payne, Otis Jones and Joe Marshall who in my mind may be a hidden gem.

LB - we need players that make plays....tempo changers.....Nick Clancy, Anthony Lewis would be great, Alex Patee or Adedeji Adeoba it would have been great to get Slaughter and we should still be beating down that door, he would be a great fit inside....if not, a former ISU committ James Collins has the size and speed to play the middle and step right in and play. Unfortunately, Dan the Man hasnt forgotten about James Collins either and i see USF is listed as having offered.

We get any or all of these positions locked up and i think our recruiting class is exactly what we need - infusion of talent and speed....

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 9

I would say ISU needs 1 or 2 OL, 2 DT that can move and not just take up space, a kicker or 2, then fill the rest with athletes with speed you can always find spots for kids with speed.

Kyle S. Flander

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    I would say ISU needs 1 or 2 OL, 2 DT that can move and not just take up space, a kicker or 2, then fill the rest with athletes with speed you can always find spots for kids with speed.
    I'll second this. We need a steady supply of big uglies on both sides of the ball that can hopefully develop for 2-3 years and be ready to step in as juniors and seniors. Athletes make great receivers, and safeties, and potentially LBs if big enough.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Speaking of OL recruits, I wonder if Dan Hoch of Harlan might reconsider his verbal to NU with all the turmoil going on over there? Hope Chizik is still in touch with him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

I will take the Linn-Mar kicker, he looks good. How about another RB, a quick one to go with the big bruiser in Schwartz.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    WR - another one cannot hurt....Possible get the Finney kid out of Illinois

K - Mahoney out of Linn Mar....all you need to see is the link - this is our guy!!!
    Kohl's Player Klips - Grant Mahoney

DT - we need depth and size at this position....Swanson Miller would be awesome, but, i like our chances with the following Kendrick Payne, Otis Jones and Joe Marshall who in my mind may be a hidden gem.

LB - we need players that make plays....tempo changers.....Nick Clancy, Anthony Lewis would be great, Alex Patee or Adedeji Adeoba it would have been great to get Slaughter and we should still be beating down that door, he would be a great fit inside....if not, a former ISU committ James Collins has the size and speed to play the middle and step right in and play. Unfortunately, Dan the Man hasnt forgotten about James Collins either and i see USF is listed as having offered.

We get any or all of these positions locked up and i think our recruiting class is exactly what we need - infusion of talent and speed....

I agree with Mahoney. I wonder if the staff is asking Kohl for assistance. He seems like a great resource if he's not upset about Mac being gone.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    I will take the Linn-Mar kicker, he looks good. How about another RB, a quick one to go with the big bruiser in Schwartz.
    Agreed, i think the RB position will be easy to recruit next year, our oline will be established, and Scales and Bass will both be gone...

Schwartz is the bruiser, but, from everything he's saying, he wants to get down to 215-220, he may be the RB, but a fast back would be great....

Also i love the idea of recruiting simply athletes and finding a position for them....you can teach systems, you teach how to tackle or catch the ball, you cant teach natural athletic ability....i.e. i can already tell that ISU fans will love Dustin Land, this kid is already saying the right things, if the coaches are telling him this is where we see you as a natural, then lets not wait, i want to start off learning that position...this kid wants on the field and those are the kind of kids we want out there.....

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    have you noticed the ol lineman they recruit appear to be more lean and trimmed down athletes that will grow into the position, i like the idea of recruiting for 2 years from now, not next year....those short term gains sometimes don't pan out. I really like the idea of getting athletic lineman in under Shep and work their A#@es off and get them into an athletic 300-310 pounds....personally i don't like the line that Tech has, simply huge with very athletic ability.....all they do is pass block - the suck run blocking....thats were athletes can pull and demolish LB and DB thats when the running game excels...

Love the recruiting philosophy of Chiz and staff, this reminds me of Texas - very few start as true freshman....they go through the process.....and develop into 2-3 year starters thats how you avoid the downward swings in recruiting and play...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

we definately need another RB or two. Schwartz is a bruiser, not a speed guy and who knows if Robinson will pan out or not.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    have you noticed the ol lineman they recruit appear to be more lean and trimmed down athletes that will grow into the position, i like the idea of recruiting for 2 years from now, not next year....those short term gains sometimes don't pan out. I really like the idea of getting athletic lineman in under Shep and work their A#@es off and get them into an athletic 300-310 pounds
    I can't wait to see what happens with that 6'7" TE they have coming in. Put 50 pounds on him the first 2 years and we got a 6'7" 300 lb guy that should be athletic for a lineman. At least I hope that is how it turns out.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.