Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

BCS Considering 4 Team Neutral Site Playoff for 2014

If Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners and the sport's other power brokers approve a four-team playoff to determine college football's national champion, the semifinals and the national championship game will be played at neutral sites and the BCS bowl games will be played closer to New Year's Day, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
    Commissioners of the 11 FBS conferences, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick and other network TV and college football officials are meeting in Hollywood, Fla., this week to discuss the future of the BCS.
    The source said he believed the commissioners "are too far out on a limb to turn back now," but said there were still many details yet to be finalized. A final decision on the BCS isn't expected this week, but the commissioners and other officials are expected to begin hammering out many of the details of a four-team playoff.
    The proposed changes wouldn't go into effect until the 2014 season. The current BCS system, in which the top two teams in the final BCS standings play in a national championship game at the site of one of the current BCS bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar), will remain in place over the next two seasons.
    "I don't know how they could walk back at this point, but they might," the source said. "I think because they're dealing in a world of compromise, I think there's a chance they could only tweak the current system and only deal with No. 1 versus No. 2. But I think they're too far out on a limb to turn back now."
    Source -- BCS exploring neutral-site 4-team playoff format - ESPN

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 789

Re: BCS Considering 4 Team Neutral Site Playoff for 2014

so help me if we are the 5th ranked team in the nation in 2014....

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 130

Does anyone outside the media really care about a playoff? I don't, and not just because ISU hasn't been in contention for one of the top four spots.

If college football is so messed up like everyone seems to writing these days, how come we're just now complaining about it when its been around for over 100 years? What's changed othe than the amount of tv money going to bigger schools?

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 827
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
    Does anyone outside the media really care about a playoff? I don't, and not just because ISU hasn't been in contention for one of the top four spots.

If college football is so messed up like everyone seems to writing these days, how come we're just now complaining about it when its been around for over 100 years? What's changed othe than the amount of tv money going to bigger schools?
    Parity. Traditionally, there's a couple handfuls of schools who have won championships (Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc.) but now you have the Boise States of the world knocking on doors and slaying dragons. A playoff gives those teams a shot. Also, a playoff eliminates some of the political positioning, such as putting a team in the NC game because the media perceives them as the best team, like what happened last year. Finally, it will be extremely exciting. Even current BCS bowls will matter much, much less than a playoff semifinal. It will be awesome if they pull this off.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post

People have been complaining about how National Champions are decided in football for decades. That is why the BCS was created. To resolve the discontent.