Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: free uthoff

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 218,359, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,328
    Points
    218,359
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 328

    free uthoff

    Apparently the iowa barnstormers aau team wore shirts that said "free uthoff" to there basketball tourny and yes bo ryan was at the tourny. This os going to turn into a recruiting nighmare for bo.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 89,920, Level: 93
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,401
    Points
    89,920
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Apparently the iowa barnstormers aau team wore shirts that said "free uthoff" to there basketball tourny and yes bo ryan was at the tourny. This os going to turn into a recruiting nighmare for bo.
    While I agree that it might hurt with some kids, there are plenty of kids out there that are just praying from an offer from a program like Wisconsin's, and if Bo comes knocking at their door, those kids will have a hard time passing up playing at a high major. Plenty of kids in the state of Wisconsin that have wanted to be a Badger their whole lives.

    I don't think it will affect their in-state recruiting that much, but Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc could see a drop off.


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 205,424, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,794
    Points
    205,424
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 37

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    While I agree that it might hurt with some kids, there are plenty of kids out there that are just praying from an offer from a program like Wisconsin's, and if Bo comes knocking at their door, those kids will have a hard time passing up playing at a high major. Plenty of kids in the state of Wisconsin that have wanted to be a Badger their whole lives.

    I don't think it will affect their in-state recruiting that much, but Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc could see a drop off.
    Looking at their current roster of 16: 5 from Illinois, 4 from Minnesota, and 1 from Iowa. They have 3 guys from Wisconsin and 3 from other states.

    I don't know if this breakdown is somewhat typical for Wisconsin, but if this incident impacts recruiting in Minnesota and Illinois, that would be quite a blow to their recruiting.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 86,622, Level: 91
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,581
    Points
    86,622
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 56

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    While I agree that it might hurt with some kids, there are plenty of kids out there that are just praying from an offer from a program like Wisconsin's, and if Bo comes knocking at their door, those kids will have a hard time passing up playing at a high major. Plenty of kids in the state of Wisconsin that have wanted to be a Badger their whole lives.

    I don't think it will affect their in-state recruiting that much, but Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc could see a drop off.
    There are plenty of kids that were playing in that AAU game that Bo prays commits to Wisc.

    Bo doesn't get to pick and choose like Calipari, Self and Williams.


    Fanatic #25

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 52,240, Level: 70
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    HoopsTournament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    2,603
    Points
    52,240
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 295

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    While I agree that it might hurt with some kids, there are plenty of kids out there that are just praying from an offer from a program like Wisconsin's, and if Bo comes knocking at their door, those kids will have a hard time passing up playing at a high major. Plenty of kids in the state of Wisconsin that have wanted to be a Badger their whole lives.

    I don't think it will affect their in-state recruiting that much, but Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc could see a drop off.
    Those aren't the kids that are as good as what they are getting now. They will cease to be a Top 4 team in Big 10 which they have been for 6 straight years.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 96,054, Level: 96
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 996
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,816
    Points
    96,054
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 62

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    Those aren't the kids that are as good as what they are getting now. They will cease to be a Top 4 team in Big 10 which they have been for 6 straight years.
    Says who? Bo's track record would say otherwise. I believe he has the all-time best winning percentage of any B1G coach that has been there 10+ years or something like that.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 26,188, Level: 49
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,564
    Points
    26,188
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 114

    Re: free uthoff

    The recovery of Bo Ryan 'the dink' episode has begun. The Madison paper is blaming Ryan for being so stupid and the national media for reporting it.
    What is most intersting to hear out of Madison is that the list of schools was composed of either 1) schools that WI plays or 2) schools that 'tampered' with Uthoff. So Bo is saying Fred has been tampering?


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  8. #8
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,582, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,364
    Points
    600,582
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,332
    Given: 117

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    The recovery of Bo Ryan 'the dink' episode has begun. The Madison paper is blaming Ryan for being so stupid and the national media for reporting it.
    What is most intersting to hear out of Madison is that the list of schools was composed of either 1) schools that WI plays or 2) schools that 'tampered' with Uthoff. So Bo is saying Fred has been tampering?
    Unfortunately for Bo and Wisconsin, the die has already been cast as far as public perception is concerned. Unless they have indisputable proof of tampering, these notions will be dismissed as spin. Bo's goose was cooked the moment he stumbled through his first statement on Mike & Mike. That interview did nothing but make him sound foolish and vindictive. He couldn't even verbalize he reasoning. And, if tampering had been an issue, why would he not have brought it up then?


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 130,388, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    michaelrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    5,739
    Points
    130,388
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 88

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    The recovery of Bo Ryan 'the dink' episode has begun. The Madison paper is blaming Ryan for being so stupid and the national media for reporting it.
    What is most intersting to hear out of Madison is that the list of schools was composed of either 1) schools that WI plays or 2) schools that 'tampered' with Uthoff. So Bo is saying Fred has been tampering?
    Miller and Brinson had an interview with someone this week that indicated Wisconsin had heard things that ISU had done some things they believed to be tampering.


    *** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***



  10. #10
    Giving it a go
    Points: 254,933, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,606
    Points
    254,933
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

    Re: free uthoff

    If Bo would have left out the ACC, this wouldn't have been a national story.


    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 113,870, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,775
    Points
    113,870
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 196

    Re: free uthoff

    If they thought ISU tampered, why did they clear him to us? They could have announced that "ACC and Florida have been removed from the list, but Iowa State remains - suspicions of tampering..."

    This whole story is so peculiar. Has anyone read the Fox Sports Wisconsin interview where Uthoff says that Bo offering to come home early from vacation was a lie? Also stated that he wanted to talk/ meet with Ryan, but Ryan didn't return HIS communications.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,512, Level: 43
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,870
    Points
    20,512
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

    Re: free uthoff

    Since Fred already had pretty good success with four Big Ten transfers, and Ryan had to win over ISU and others to sign Uthoff, he obviously assumed Fred tampered, he (Ryan) probably would have if in the same situation.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 89,920, Level: 93
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,401
    Points
    89,920
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    Looking at their current roster of 16: 5 from Illinois, 4 from Minnesota, and 1 from Iowa. They have 3 guys from Wisconsin and 3 from other states.

    I don't know if this breakdown is somewhat typical for Wisconsin, but if this incident impacts recruiting in Minnesota and Illinois, that would be quite a blow to their recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    There are plenty of kids that were playing in that AAU game that Bo prays commits to Wisc.

    Bo doesn't get to pick and choose like Calipari, Self and Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    Those aren't the kids that are as good as what they are getting now. They will cease to be a Top 4 team in Big 10 which they have been for 6 straight years.
    While this ordeal was a black eye for Wisconsin and specifically Bo Ryan, they'll recover. In-state kids are still going to want to go there and with 5* Sam Dekker coming in for 2012 and 4* Bronson Koenig coming for 2013, they've got some talent coming down the pike, in addition to what they currently have on their roster.

    Hopefully the situation will push Matt Thomas into coming to Ames, but I would like to think that has a lot more to do with Fred's pursuit and identifying Thomas earlier than Wisconsin did.

    Ultimately, the Uthoff ordeal might end up hurting them with a kid or two out of state, but Bo has built his program on 3* guys with the occasional 4* guy thrown in. The point being, there's a lot more 3* guys out there and if one or two say no, there's probably going to be somebody else looking for a high major offer that would be ecstatic about playing at a place that's had as much success as Wisconsin.

    As fans, we tend to overplay these things sometimes and deal in absolutes, and I think in this situation, you have to look at the entire scope of Bo's success at Wisconsin in addition to the Uthoff situation. Every coach has made a mistake and Bo's just happened to be a little more public. I don't think Wisconsin really sees much drop off, if any at all.


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 113,870, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,775
    Points
    113,870
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 196

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    While this ordeal was a black eye for Wisconsin and specifically Bo Ryan, they'll recover. In-state kids are still going to want to go there and with 5* Sam Dekker coming in for 2012 and 4* Bronson Koenig coming for 2013, they've got some talent coming down the pike, in addition to what they currently have on their roster.

    Hopefully the situation will push Matt Thomas into coming to Ames, but I would like to think that has a lot more to do with Fred's pursuit and identifying Thomas earlier than Wisconsin did.

    Ultimately, the Uthoff ordeal might end up hurting them with a kid or two out of state, but Bo has built his program on 3* guys with the occasional 4* guy thrown in. The point being, there's a lot more 3* guys out there and if one or two say no, there's probably going to be somebody else looking for a high major offer that would be ecstatic about playing at a place that's had as much success as Wisconsin.

    As fans, we tend to overplay these things sometimes and deal in absolutes, and I think in this situation, you have to look at the entire scope of Bo's success at Wisconsin in addition to the Uthoff situation. Every coach has made a mistake and Bo's just happened to be a little more public. I don't think Wisconsin really sees much drop off, if any at all.
    Couldn't have said it any better.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 96,166, Level: 96
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 884
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,082
    Points
    96,166
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 485

    Re: free uthoff

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrr1 View Post
    Miller and Brinson had an interview with someone this week that indicated Wisconsin had heard things that ISU had done some things they believed to be tampering.
    That's thrice-removed vagueness if I've ever heard it. (Not directed at you or your post; directed at the person-who-heard-stuff person)

    I don't know the definition of tampering, as it applies to the rulebook. I have a sense of what it "kinda means."

    If there's even a perception of wrongdoing, I assume Fred wouldn't sign a player if it had potential to jeopardize the program; and if any issues surrounded getting a transfer in this situation he would make sure there's clarity about what actually happened.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM