Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Playing to win (playcalling)

NOT playing to lose. I saw this last Saturday. Any thoughts. It looks like times, they are a changin.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 0

Re: Playing to win (playcalling)

Now if only we could win... And I know we will at least once more this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Completely unrelated but that picture of Cy on the bike is awesome.

Recruit
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The wins will come...recruitment is in progress. Hopefully, we will get the players we need to move on. All cannot be accomplished in one year. It is uphill, but we have the coaches that can lead. No nonsense men that want to win! It's contagious! I am positive that we will continue to improve! Go Cyclones!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 177

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    NOT playing to lose. I saw this last Saturday. Any thoughts. It looks like times, they are a changin.
    Does anyone else get tired of hearing this very argument when someone doesn't like the way the offense is playing?

"Oh, geez. They didn't call the play that I would have called in that situation. They must not be playing to win." Cry me a freakin' river.

I must be seeing something completely different than you - a team that seems to be able to move the ball up to the red zone, and then the drive stalls out. To me that screams personnel issues, not playcalling issues. The offense, and the entire team for that matter, doesn't have the horses necessary at this point to run the schemes that Chizik and Co. would rather be running. I'm pretty sure the playbook is much wider than you think it is, the plyaers just don't have the talent, speed, or confidence to run those plays effectively. As it is, they seem to have difficulties at times grasping what they were given to work with. But I guess none of these thoughts have crossed your mind, have they? You probably were one of those that would settle for nothing less than an 8-4 season this year and instead of noticing that just by looking at the size and speed of our players compared to our opponents (we were outsized by UNI for goodness sake) that we weren't going to compete this year.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Does anyone else get tired of hearing this very argument when someone doesn't like the way the offense is playing?

"Oh, geez. They didn't call the play that I would have called in that situation. They must not be playing to win." Cry me a freakin' river.

I must be seeing something completely different than you - a team that seems to be able to move the ball up to the red zone, and then the drive stalls out. To me that screams personnel issues, not playcalling issues. The offense, and the entire team for that matter, doesn't have the horses necessary at this point to run the schemes that Chizik and Co. would rather be running. I'm pretty sure the playbook is much wider than you think it is, the plyaers just don't have the talent, speed, or confidence to run those plays effectively. As it is, they seem to have difficulties at times grasping what they were given to work with. But I guess none of these thoughts have crossed your mind, have they? You probably were one of those that would settle for nothing less than an 8-4 season this year and instead of noticing that just by looking at the size and speed of our players compared to our opponents (we were outsized by UNI for goodness sake) that we weren't going to compete this year.
    I got the impression from the first post that he was suggesting that we WERE playing to win, rather than playing not to lose, as was frequently the case with the previous staff.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If so then I misunderstood, and I'm sorry for that. It's just too often all I hear on this site is "we don't run this play enough" or "we don't throw to this receiver enough" or "we need to pull this play out of the playbook because it never works." I think the coaches would LOVE to be much more aggressive on offense, and it's shown over the last couple of weeks, they just don't have the personnel to do what they really want to do.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If so then I misunderstood, and I'm sorry for that. It's just too often all I hear on this site is "we don't run this play enough" or "we don't throw to this receiver enough" or "we need to pull this play out of the playbook because it never works." I think the coaches would LOVE to be much more aggressive on offense, and it's shown over the last couple of weeks, they just don't have the personnel to do what they really want to do.
    I just tend to ignore armchair quarterbacks as much as possible. It's usually pointless arguing with them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 104

"NOT playing to lose. I saw this last Saturday. Any thoughts. It looks like times, they are a changin."

I love the people on this board who have no idea how football is coached and played. People have this glorified version of how to win football games by long passes, crazy trick plays, and taking huge risks.

The best teams make simple plays turn into great amazing ones. When will people start realizing that it is not amazing play calling that wins the good teams games, it is outstanding playing ability and execution. It is the ability to break a play open, make a man miss, hold all blocks.

If you watched the game or replays the play calling was NOT bad... in fact the play calling has been great. We have just had breakdowns by our offense at critical points.

We dont have that now. So when playing teams like OU it may look like we aren't doing anything.

I have heard this from many people in the stands. Very annoying. I agree its very good to see this team playing with good play calling

Last edited by ajk4st8; 10-24-2007 at 09:57 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    "NOT playing to lose. I saw this last Saturday. Any thoughts. It looks like times, they are a changin."

I love the people on this board who have no idea how football is coached and played. People have this glorified version of how to win football games by long passes, crazy trick plays, and taking huge risks.

The best teams make simple plays turn into great amazing ones. When will people start realizing that it is not amazing play calling that wins the good teams games, it is outstanding playing ability and execution. It is the ability to break a play open, make a man miss, hold all blocks.

If you watched the game or replays the play calling was NOT bad... in fact the play calling has been great. We have just had breakdowns by our offense at critical points.

We dont have that now. So when playing teams like OU it may look like we aren't doing anything.

I have heard this from many people in the stands. Very annoying. I agree its very good to see this team playing with good play calling
    I think it stems from two things:

1. Way too many people playing Madden or NCAA Football on their console of choice, winning big by calling big plays, and then taking what they learned in a video game and trying to apply it to a real game scenario. "Well, it worked in my video game, why don't they do it on the field?" My response to that is "exactly... "

2. As exciting as a game it was, early this year, the last minute and the overtime of the Boise St./Oklahoma game where Boise St. stunned Oklahoma with end-of-game trickeration. My response - did they miss the other 59 minutes where Boise St dominated the majority of that game and then went on to suffer the typical "It's Oklahoma, why aren't we giving them the calls?" by the refs. Boise St controlled that game with the basics before the tide turned on them and had to resort to last second heroics.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Funny this thread comes up on the heels of people complaining about FG kicking. We went for it on 4th and 1 and some people here criticized that. Right now we have nothing to lose by taking chances so I'm fine with gutsy plays, trick plays, and going for the big play more often. We aren't going to be favored to win a game the rest of the season and may very well not but taking a few gambles might just be a way to steal another win. If it fails, well that is nothing new because sometimes we can't even excute the simple plays right and cough the ball up doing so.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    So writing isn't my strong suit. Sorry about that. I think our play calling with the few times we had a lead has been different this year. The results seem to be the same though. The team has a different personality, I will NOT try to expand on that thought. I don't see us trying to pound the ball down their throats for a 3 and out when we are not capable of pounding the ball.