Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Will conservatives denounce Harry Potter?

From the following article: Outing gives Potter passages new meaning

With author J.K. Rowling's revelation that master wizard Albus Dumbledore is gay...

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

Re: Will conservatives denounce Harry Potter?

I honestly can't wait for the day when this is no longer a big deal -- and this goes for everyone.

I know it takes a lot of courage to come out, but this is a fictional character we're talking about. It's not even an attribute that contributes to the story... I feel like that it's just a mini-stunt to put Harry Potter back in the headlines.

Conservatives will hate this aspect of Harry Potter. Not only does the book "practice" witchcraft, but now one of the most prolific characters is homosexual, even though this was not spelled out within the books.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 1,094

I thought conservatives already hated Harry Potter, what with the witchcraft and all. They've tried to ban the books from libraries all over the country.

Also, I don't think this was a publicity stunt at all, Rowling was answering a question about the backstory of a character, and she answered it. Period. To many of us who have read the books it didn't really come as a surprise.

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 1

Being a conservative, I personally don't give a crap about J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter series. If she wants to make one of her characters in a book gay, fine. Make him gay.

Who cares? I've never thought that reading a book, watching a movie, or playing a video game has any effect on people.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 599

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Being a conservative, I personally don't give a crap about J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter series. If she wants to make one of her characters in a book gay, fine. Make him gay.

Who cares? I've never thought that reading a book, watching a movie, or playing a video game has any effect on people.
    I could care less about Harry Potter. Harry could turn into a flaming gay son of Satan for all I care. If I am bringing my child up correctly, he will learn the difference between fantasy and reality.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    From the following article: Outing gives Potter passages new meaning
    I am a conservative and I could care less. But I think I am one of those fiscal conservatives and social liberals, so both parties are my enemy.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Question about this: Am I the only one that still sees this as a close friendship, and tends to see this "revelation" more as an attempt for attention?

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 599

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Question about this: Am I the only one that still sees this as a close friendship, and tends to see this "revelation" more as an attempt for attention?
    I agree that it's definitely an attempt for some attention.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

My problem isn't with Harry Potter; it is with the over-the-top parents, commentators and educators that equate preferring that your children not read the Harry Potter books to child abuse.

I have two, extremely well-read teenaged daughters who we've discouraged from reading the series for religious reasons, and I've had more people get "in my face" about that than any other single subject in our lives.

My wife and I aren't dictating what your kid can or cannot read, and we aren't judging you or your kid. Just get out of our faces and let us raise our kids the way WE want.

On a related issue, I see that the "Banned Books" people are including some of Heinlein's more racy works as being "banned" because they are not allowed in some high school libraries. Frankly, high school libraries don't have Penthouse or Hustler in them, either, and I don't see THEM on the "Banned Books" lists.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 377

I think if you make the connection that Christians in America also tend to be a good number of those on conservative side (and that connection is made in a lot of arguments from the abortion issue to the gay issue), then a great deal of the conservative side denounced Harry Potter years ago considering it deals with witchcraft, sorcery, and the occult. Dumbledore being gay would only be icing on the denouncement cake (and no, I haven't denounced it - I've seen parts of some of the movies and plan on reading the books eventually. If I denounced Harry Potter I'd have to give up my addiction to Diablo II).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    My problem isn't with Harry Potter; it is with the over-the-top parents, commentators and educators that equate preferring that your children not read the Harry Potter books to child abuse.

I have two, extremely well-read teenaged daughters who we've discouraged from reading the series for religious reasons, and I've had more people get "in my face" about that than any other single subject in our lives.
    I don't think it's child abuse, I just think it's really really odd that your religious values, or the religious values of your daughters, would be in any way challenged by a series of novels. I just don't get it. Especially if they are teenagers.

What, specifically, in the books do you object to "for religious reasons"? Have you read the books, or are you objecting based on other peoples recommendations?

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I don't think it's child abuse, I just think it's really really odd that your religious values, or the religious values of your daughters, would be in any way challenged by a series of novels. I just don't get it. Especially if they are teenagers.

What, specifically, in the books do you object to "for religious reasons"? Have you read the books, or are you objecting based on other peoples recommendations?
    I object to treating witchcraft as anything other than direct communication to Satan. I don't think it does my children any good to read a book that portrays witchcraft as something harmless. Once they're adults, they can read what they want. But until then, I'm responsible for what they are exposed to.

Teenagers are much more impressionable and easily led than when they are younger. Your average 8-12 year old sees right and wrong much more clearly than a teen. And our desires are in line with our actions.

Last edited by keepngoal; 10-24-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: mod discussion.
    A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I object to treating witchcraft as anything other than direct communication to Satan. I don't think it does my children any good to read a book that portrays witchcraft as something harmless. Once they're adults, they can read what they want. But until then, I'm responsible for what they are exposed to.
    A fantasy, make-believe word where some people have magical powers is automatically devil-worship in your book? Does this apply to every fantasy-fiction series? Lord of the Rings? Chronicles of Narnia? Mathilda? Star Wars? Where do you draw the line on sheltering your kids from make-believe worlds?

But I'm still curious. Have you ever read the books?

And our desires are in line with our actions.
    What does that even mean?

Last edited by keepngoal; 10-24-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: mod discussion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 45

I guess I consider myself a pretty big social conservative but I could care less about who has/has not read these books. I would have no problem with my hypothetical children reading them.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    A fantasy, make-believe word where some people have magical powers is automatically devil-worship in your book? Does this apply to every fantasy-fiction series? Lord of the Rings? Chronicles of Narnia? Mathilda? Star Wars? Where do you draw the line on sheltering your kids from make-believe worlds?

But I'm still curious. Have you ever read the books?

What does that even mean?
    Just to make myself clear, I'm somewhere in the middle of the issue, but that's not the point. The point is who are you to tell someone how to raise their children without their consent and who are you to judge the way they raise their children based on whether or not they let their children read a book series depending on how it relates to their religious beliefs. If they're not abusing their children in any way, they're providing for their children's needs, and the kids are coming out well-adjusted, who are you to judge, especially when it comes to the reading of a series of books? Last time I checked not allowing their children to read a series of books wasn't classified as abuse, neglect, and the vast majority tend to grow up okay when not allowed to read particular books. I wasn't allowed to play or read Dungeons & Dragons when I grew up - I turned out okay. How would you like it if I started criticizing your parenting skills if you wouldn't let your children read the Left Behind series when growing up? After all, it deals with one of the Christian perspectives about the end of the world. Is it not okay while other so-called "fantasy end-of-the-world" novel series are okay because they don't deal with Christianity? I mean, after all, where do you draw the line?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.