Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Weeds Becoming Roundup Resistant

A much-used herbicide, which for years has helped farmers throughout the United States increase profits, is losing its effectiveness and forcing producers to spend more and use more chemicals to control the weeds that threaten yields.

"I've gone from budgeting $45 an acre just two years ago to spending more than $100 an acre now to control weeds," said Mississippi farmer John McKee, who grows corn, cotton and soybeans on his 3,300-acre farm in the Delta.
    The problem is Roundup, a herbicide introduced in the 1970s, and its partner, Roundup Ready crop seeds, genetically modified to withstand Roundup's active ingredient, glyphosate. In 1996, Monsanto introduced Roundup Ready soybean, soon touted as a game changer.

"It was an extremely valuable and useful tool for the past 15 years," said Bob Scott, extension weed scientist with the University of Arkansas.
    But now, weeds that Roundup once controlled are becoming resistant to glyphosate, Scott said.
    "It's a very, very serious issue here in the Delta," licensed crop consultant Joe Townsend said. "We're knee-deep in it."
    As overuse of antibiotics led to resistant bugs or superbugs, the almost exclusive use of glyphosate led to resistant populations of weeds, such as pigweed and ryegrass. Glyphosate-resistant weeds have been identified in Australia, South America and China, according to the International Survey of Herbicide-Resistant Weeds.
    To combat resistant weeds, farmers are turning to older methods of weed control more chemicals and more tillage, which leads to increased rates of soil erosion. "I used so many chemicals last year, it made me silly," McKee said. "We're going backwards 15 years."
    Bill Freese, science policy analyst at the Center for Food Safety in Washington, D.C., says the use of more chemicals has real public health implications. "It increases the chances they will get into our food and water." Weed resistance to herbicides is not new. But, Freese says, it's happening at a much quicker rate. "Because of the use of a single chemical (glyphosate), it's speeding up evolution." Herbicide-resistant crops are "taking us in the wrong direction. It's just not sustainable."
    Farmers must spend more on herbicides as effectiveness fades – USATODAY.com

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 30

Re: Weeds Becoming Roundup Resistant

There's too many people that have only used roundup without mixing up modes of action and throwing different products at the weeds at times. When roundup is the only chemical used for 15 years on the same soil, a person is going to have problems.

We have a little bit of waterhemp that is resistent but nothing serious. You see a lot of other people with bigger problems around. Their agronomist wasn't giving them good advice.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Thats why I just use diesel fuel. Nothings diesel resistant. Well except gas engines.

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 146

I just want to point out that this is in no way Round Up's fault. People are using it too much and naturally selecting for weeds resistant to it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    There's too many people that have only used roundup without mixing up modes of action and throwing different products at the weeds at times. When roundup is the only chemical used for 15 years on the same soil, a person is going to have problems.

We have a little bit of waterhemp that is resistent but nothing serious. You see a lot of other people with bigger problems around. Their agronomist wasn't giving them good advice.
    That's not really true. The majority of agronomists would still prefer a pre emerge followed by roundup program and it has been like that for quite a few years. Just because the grower didn't do it doesn't mean the agronomist didn't recommend it. It was more expensive by a significant amount and people didn't want to spend it when they could go all roundup super cheap. I would also argue that a larger problem was misuse. If roundup was labeled at 22 oz. (which it shouldn't have been) then there were a lot of guys putting on 16 or 18 to save a couple pennies. Another issue was the idea that generic glyphosates were the same thing. They weren't. Those things should have been used much more liberally than they were.

My argument is that misuse of the product carries the same blame, if not more than the mixing of modes. Now we are to a point where we do have to mix up modes because there is resistance to many of the products in the market.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I just want to point out that this is in no way Round Up's fault. People are using it too much and naturally selecting for weeds resistant to it.
    I think it should have been labeled more strictly and marketed more truthfully than it was. That is where I will end blaming the manufactures though.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

It's really not a big deal in Iowa. Buy a mix, different modes of action, and you will be fine.

The chem companies will come up with the next big thing to replace generic glysophate too.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 42

Preemergence
    Preemergence
    Preemergence
    Preemergence

Keep repeating and hopefully people will listen again.

Then mix modes of action.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

If Monsanto would have put their money into Dicamba resistant soybeans it wouldn't be a problem. Your mode of action would change with each crop rotation. Roundup Ready is amazing technology. It allows us to use a lot less dangerous chemicals. You think the hippies would be happy with that, but no...

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I think it should have been labeled more strictly and marketed more truthfully than it was. That is where I will end blaming the manufactures though.
    That's very fair.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Heilsqauvador View Post
    If Monsanto would have put their money into Dicamba resistant soybeans it wouldn't be a problem. Your mode of action would change with each crop rotation. Roundup Ready is amazing technology. It allows us to use a lot less dangerous chemicals. You think the hippies would be happy with that, but no...
    It's in the R&D pipeline but isn't a silver bullet system.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Heilsqauvador View Post
    So, people who don't like toxic chemicals in their food and water are somehow "hippies" now? I guess I don't understand what the heck you're complaining about with that comment. Who's complaining?

Last edited by cigaretteman; 04-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    So, people who don't like toxic chemicals in their food and water are somehow "hippies" now?
    The Roundup system has kept farmers from using a lot of more toxic chemicals. That's a good thing?

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    So, people who don't like toxic chemicals in their food and water are somehow "hippies" now? I guess I don't understand what the heck you're complaining about with that comment. Who's complaining?

Roundup has allowed there to be much less chemicals applied to farm ground. Old methods (before roundup) probably caused a lot more unsafe chemicals to be found in water.

I think the "hippies" comment was more related to the people that just make up conclusions without any evidence or knowledge of agriculture or how food production works. These people don't understand that farmers are growing much more food with less resources and pollution than ever before. If you want things to all be 100% organic with no chemicals ever used, MANY MANY more people in the world will starve.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    It's really not a big deal in Iowa. Buy a mix, different modes of action, and you will be fine.

The chem companies will come up with the next big thing to replace generic glysophate too.

Its not a big deal in Iowa YET. I have no doubt that at some point we will be battling the same resistance in Iowa that they have in the South right now.

Roundup was a great invention and allowed producers a cheap, easy way to reduce and eliminate the need to tank mix chemicals that were in most instances less successful controling weeds. However, continous use of the same chemical year after year no matter what the chemistry is naturally selecting for resistance. The argument of using a different MOA is valid however there are fewer and fewer chemicals on the market because Roundup was so easy.

There are ZERO new modes of action on the market, havent been since like the late 90's. Weed resistance is here to stay and will only continue to get worse. At some point there may very well be a new MOA but until then management of resistance is the best and only real tool that we have.

Its beyond pride. Its a restored trust. Theres a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State it factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the mans enthusiasm is genuine to the core...
    columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register