Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 154

Viking fans: QB question

Fellow Vikings fans...

I didn't get to see the game yesterday, but have since heard a bunch of DFW TV and radio commentary after the game. One thing that I've heard several times from the different media outlets is that Jackson is probably the worst QB in the NFL right now. A couple of guys even suggested that with a halfway QB'ing, the Vikes might have come away with a win yesterday.

Is Jackson really that bad? What upside does he have that gets him the starting job?

Did the Vikes show any interest in Jeff Garcia last off-season? He's having a decent year, and I'm guessing the Vikes would be doing better with him.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Viking fans: QB question

Not a Viking fan, but he definitely looked like he did not belong out there. He doesn't appear to be ready for the big time yet. He looks like he doesn't know what he is doing.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,247
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 27

I'm a Viking fan and I didnt think he was that bad, but I sure dont want Kelly Holcomb in there. Jackson can at least scramble some and make some plays. He definately didnt see and read the field very well yesterday, but his throwing hand had a fracture or something in a finger so I dont know how much that threw him off. I think we should pick up Sage Rosenfels, or someone like him, and give Jackson some more time to learn. I have faith they will get it together, but fall short of the playoffs again.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones26 View Post
    I'm a Viking fan and I didnt think he was that bad, but I sure dont want Kelly Holcomb in there. Jackson can at least scramble some and make some plays. He definately didnt see and read the field very well yesterday, but his throwing hand had a fracture or something in a finger so I dont know how much that threw him off. I think we should pick up Sage Rosenfels, or someone like him, and give Jackson some more time to learn. I have faith they will get it together, but fall short of the playoffs again.
    Yea, I think he's got potential, I got the impression he's just awfully green right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Just not making good throws. If he would put the ball where it should be thrown he'd be much better off. He's got the ability, he's just making it harder than it should be right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 49

When they began to lean on the passing game at the end of the game it definitely wasn't pretty. My how things have changed. The Vikes were once know for their QBs and WRs. Now I hardly know any of the WRs.

Jackson needs time...possibly a lot of time. In the meantime, Minnesota needs to find a QB to cover for the next couple of years.

Love Peterson though...thank God I have him on my fantasy team!

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 967
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 118

TJack is very green, but I'm afraid even with a season or two, he is not the type to take them far into the playoffs. Timing, touch, and decision making will only get to the OK level IMO.

What is quietly gaining some talk is that our Hawkeye first rounder should have been maybe a 3-5 round pick. Looks just as lost as TJack.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I knew he was out of his element when he actually jumped in the air and didn;t throw the ball......he was then plastered by a linebacker. I have never seen a QB leave his feet in heavy traffic and not throw the ball.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think Jackson has upside in that he does have an arm and he can scramble. He is just making poor decisions. Also, our Vikes WRs aren't spectacular by any stretch.

In my opinion, Jackson needs to learn when to get rid of the ball when his receivers are not open.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 14

The real question is his accuracy. He's got the arm, but he seems to lack the pinpoint accuracy that has made players like Favre, McNabb, Brady, etc. elite q-backs in the league.

As a long-time Vikings fan, i wish him the best, but i don't see it happening. The Vikes will obviously be looking for the best free-agent QB on the market this off-season, as this team is really not very far away from being an elite team.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    The Vikes will obviously be looking for the best free-agent QB on the market this off-season, as this team is really not very far away from being an elite team.
    I also heard similar comments about the Vikes being very close to breaking through. That's rather odd, because the DFW media has usually not shown that kind of love to the Vikes in the past. Hopefully it is true that the Vikes are very close...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 9

Jackson is just not accurate. He's still green and making some poor decisions, but several times when he had time he still couldn't deliver the ball to the right place. Hopefully he'll turn the corner, but I too believe that they are quite close to being a playoff team....especially with the NFC being down right now.

Their D is stout. D-line is money against the run, which is part of the reason their pass defense is so terrible......everyone just passes against them without even trying to run the ball. O-line is good....potentially could be great....and there's not a better pair of RBs in the NFL. I just hope Peterson remains healthy and can take over the majority of the carries next season.

Really, the only area lacking is the passing game...both the QB and WRs. They may have the worst receiving corps in the NFL. They haven't drafted well here in the past few years, and may need to go pick up some good (bobby wade doesn't count) WRs in free agency. And if Jackson doesn't make quick progress, I think we should go after a QB soon. With their running game, just someone really steady and solid (Dilfer back in the day, Garcia, etc) would be perfect.