Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Some hawk caller on Miller's show just basically said that hawk fans aren't paying for Kirk's contract. They pay for their tickets to go to the game - but that money doesn't go to his salary.



    Does this money fall from the sky or something? Do they have a beanstalk and a golden goose that we don't know about?



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,581, Level: 68
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,880
    Points
    49,581
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    It's the magical tree that you're parents always said didn't exist.




    Last edited by SuperCy; 10-22-2007 at 03:30 PM.

    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

  3. #3
    Giving it a go
    Points: 254,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,603
    Points
    254,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show



    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  4. #4
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    It's the magical tree that you're parents always said didn't exist.
    But I grew up a hawk fan and it wasn't included in the indoctrinati .... er, I mean, the orientation.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 23,909, Level: 47
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,603
    Points
    23,909
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Some hawk caller on Miller's show just basically said that hawk fans aren't paying for Kirk's contract. They pay for their tickets to go to the game - but that money doesn't go to his salary.


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,055, Level: 79
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,932
    Points
    65,055
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    It got worse on Marty & Miller. Marty was talking about how EIU could very well be in the beginnings of a 3-5 yr black hole and some idiot hawk fan calls in and wants to bet a case of beer with M&M that Iowa will have a winning season next year. IF he was the typical trailer trash fan, it is probably a 5 yr old case of Blatz....



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 213,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,061
    Points
    213,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Actually, the Iowa athletic department receives around $20,000,000 in private donations each year.

    Poached from HN:

    **per the lastest Annual Reports released by universities around the Big Ten.

    1. Ohio State $38,288,000
    2. Michigan $30,000,000 (est.)
    3. Iowa $20,191,420
    4. Penn State $19,276,721
    5. Wisconsin $18,640,275
    6. Minnesota $13,383,837
    7. Indiana $9,681,217
    8. Illinois $9,400,000
    9. Purdue $5,000,000 (est., from John Purdue fund)
    So I guess technically, his contract could come from private donors. I don't think it matters much though - he's still being paid a lot of money.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  8. #8
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Actually, the Iowa athletic department receives around $20,000,000 in private donations each year.

    Poached from HN:



    So I guess technically, his contract could come from private donors. I don't think it matters much though - he's still being paid a lot of money.
    Well sure, I guess it might depend how you want to look at things.

    You pay for your tickets - whatever they are over in ia city. And I'm sure like ISU, you have to be an i-club member. I guess that would all be considered "private donations", in as much as none of that money comes from the university or the taxpayers via university funds. I realize that the $20M you mention is more of the "major contributions" type of money, not memberships, but still..

    Where this caller gets away with that statement is that only a certain, smaller percentage is "from the university", the rest is from "outside sources" (apparel contracts, tv show, radio show and so on). But to say that ticket buyers aren't paying for the coaches contracts, well that's just a little looney... - I'm sure you agree.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 213,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,061
    Points
    213,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Well sure, I guess it might depend how you want to look at things.

    You pay for your tickets - whatever they are over in ia city. And I'm sure like ISU, you have to be an i-club member. I guess that would all be considered "private donations", in as much as none of that money comes from the university or the taxpayers via university funds. I realize that the $20M you mention is more of the "major contributions" type of money, not memberships, but still..

    Where this caller gets away with that statement is that only a certain, smaller percentage is "from the university", the rest is from "outside sources" (apparel contracts, tv show, radio show and so on). But to say that ticket buyers aren't paying for the coaches contracts, well that's just a little looney... - I'm sure you agree.
    Yup, I agree - I'd reverse it and say a small percentage from TV contracts, public speaking, etc...

    I didn't hear the caller, so I'll take your word for it - but I agree.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  10. #10
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Yup, I agree - I'd reverse it and say a small percentage from TV contracts, public speaking, etc...

    I didn't hear the caller, so I'll take your word for it - but I agree.
    paraphrased he simply said that "people complaining about KF and how much he makes, your tickets aren't paying for his salary anyway."

    Small percentage? I thought in most of these contracts the lion's share came from outside revenue streams. Although I don't keep up with iowa business and understand that KF's contract was incentive heavy - hence probably AD funded.

    FWIW, I think any "on field" issues with KF and calls for his release are, well, stupid. The off the field is very disturbing however and at some point he has to be held accountable. Hope he gets both worked out, I like the guy.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 213,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,061
    Points
    213,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    paraphrased he simply said that "people complaining about KF and how much he makes, your tickets aren't paying for his salary anyway."

    Small percentage? I thought in most of these contracts the lion's share came from outside revenue streams. Although I don't keep up with iowa business and understand that KF's contract was incentive heavy - hence probably AD funded.

    FWIW, I think any "on field" issues with KF and calls for his release are, well, stupid. The off the field is very disturbing however and at some point he has to be held accountable. Hope he gets both worked out, I like the guy.
    Yeah, he rebuilt a struggling program - and kept it respectable from 2001-2005. But these issues off the field are very disturbing, and if there is any reason to call for his ouster, those are the reasons.

    I would really like to hope that these issues get solved - they are definitely worse than losing. Nothing worse than a loss followed by an arrest.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 23,909, Level: 47
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,603
    Points
    23,909
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Yeah, he rebuilt a struggling program - and kept it respectable from 2001-2005. But these issues off the field are very disturbing, and if there is any reason to call for his ouster, those are the reasons.

    I would really like to hope that these issues get solved - they are definitely worse than losing. Nothing worse than a loss followed by an arrest.


    He's just building up his resume for an NFL job.

    He must have his eyes on the Cincinatti Bengals job.


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,351, Level: 68
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,027
    Points
    49,351
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 285

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    He's just building up his resume for an NFL job.

    He must have his eyes on the Cincinatti Bengals job.
    Hay psycin thats so funny that I'm crying ... Right now any job ... except the eiu job ...looks mighty good to old kirke fairenz....


    I can see it rite now... a big fight between eiu and muskers er huskies er huskets er huskies over boo pelinne!!



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 213,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,061
    Points
    213,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Hay psycin thats so funny that I'm crying ... Right now any job ... except the eiu job ...looks mighty good to old kirke fairenz....


    I can see it rite now... a big fight between eiu and muskers er huskies er huskets er huskies over boo pelinne!!
    Reading posts like this makes me glad I went to school :)


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 95,042, Level: 95
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,696
    Points
    95,042
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

    Re: hawk caller on Jon Miller's show

    Had a Tommy from DSM appearance on Dumb and Dumber's show yesterday. I know he's got some kind of problem but I'm sorry I can't help but laugh at the combination of that and his crazy comments sometimes.


    Go Cubs Go!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM