Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 38,342, Level: 60
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 708
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,637
    Points
    38,342
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 567
    Given: 429

    Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Is anyone else planning on going to this "Get Motivated" conference in Des Moines? It looks like Fred is lined up as the lead speaker on competitiveness. Looks like they've got Captain Kirk in the lineup too for Motivation. Some of the other speakers look pretty attractive too. I remember going to this conference when it was here around 6 years ago maybe.

    GET MOTIVATED SEMINARS:



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 29,738, Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    Points
    29,738
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 63

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    These things are great to hear these guys speak...but ive found that the people who go to events like this...just come back and are the same slack arses they were before.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,873, Level: 70
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    4,756
    Points
    51,873
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,730
    Given: 1,221

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Kik with motivation? He knows how to coach college football, but getting people motivated with his speaking prowress is not his forte. I would put him right before lunch while people are heading out early.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,873, Level: 70
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    4,756
    Points
    51,873
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,730
    Given: 1,221

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    These things are great to hear these guys speak...but ive found that the people who go to events like this...just come back and are the same slack arses they were before.
    Usually they go to these so they can take another day off, but make it look like they are trying to improve.



  5. #5
    UVA est, ut destruatur
    Points: 852,355, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    60,368
    Points
    852,355
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,653
    Given: 4,736

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    The radio commercials have been touting Freddie along with Kirk Furrennnz. lol



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 52,090, Level: 70
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    5,971
    Points
    52,090
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 855
    Given: 1,128

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    The radio commercials have been touting Freddie along with Kirk Furrennnz. lol
    I've noticed that



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 64,701, Level: 78
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    3,306
    Points
    64,701
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 378
    Given: 633

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    These things are great to hear these guys speak...but ive found that the people who go to events like this...just come back and are the same slack arses they were before.
    The whole point of this seminar is for employers to send their employees there hoping that they can push motivation upon them so they will come back and be more productive.

    The problem with that theory is that you can only motivate people for something they want to do in the first place. If they weren't excited about their job before they go to the seminar, nothing anyone says during the seminar will change that.

    99% of the people only go to get the day off from work.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 337,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    20,212
    Points
    337,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,036
    Given: 11,798

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    99% of the people only go to gaze at dreamy Fred.
    Fixed.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 96,618, Level: 96
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,354
    Points
    96,618
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 79

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    yes, i went to one previously that george foreman spoke at. it was worth going to, but im more excited to hear fred and kirk and joe montana


    "Success isn't owned. It's leased, and rent is due everyday" -J.J. Watt

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 17,393, Level: 40
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ISUser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    542
    Points
    17,393
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 5

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    I went to one in Wichita last year. The speakers are generally ok, but there's more to the seminar than getting people motivated.

    Each speaker talks for about 20 minutes or so, then the hosts talk for a while. About a couple hours in, there was an hour and a half presentation on Scottrade's online software. After it was over they let us go for a break and there were dozens of people ready to sign you up for it.

    A work emergency came up and I had to leave around lunchtime, but I heard there was something similar with another company in the afternoon half too.

    I'm not trying to pass judgement one way or another, I know people that really enjoyed it. I just want to let people know what to expect.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 64,051, Level: 78
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,460
    Points
    64,051
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 197

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUser View Post
    I went to one in Wichita last year. The speakers are generally ok, but there's more to the seminar than getting people motivated.

    Each speaker talks for about 20 minutes or so, then the hosts talk for a while. About a couple hours in, there was an hour and a half presentation on Scottrade's online software. After it was over they let us go for a break and there were dozens of people ready to sign you up for it.

    A work emergency came up and I had to leave around lunchtime, but I heard there was something similar with another company in the afternoon half too.

    I'm not trying to pass judgement one way or another, I know people that really enjoyed it. I just want to let people know what to expect.
    This is true. I went to the Des Moines one a few years ago and thought it was neat, but too much other crap thrown in. I don't want to make this political, but you might want to do some research on the married couple behind these seminars. This is why I'm surprised Fred is participating.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 21,857, Level: 45
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    668
    Points
    21,857
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 198

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    I went to the one in Des Moines a few years back and it was really cool seeing the speakers. Some very big names. But the entire thing just became an infomercial to sell crap to all the get rich quick suckers in the audience. Very sad. How else do you think they can afford to pay all the headliner speakers without selling you something when your seats are basically free. I would go back, just to see Freddie, Joe Montana, Others, but be ready for the onslaught of BS sales tactics.



  13. #13
    UVA est, ut destruatur
    Points: 852,355, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    60,368
    Points
    852,355
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,653
    Given: 4,736

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by IASTATE4LIFE View Post
    I went to the one in Des Moines a few years back and it was really cool seeing the speakers. Some very big names. But the entire thing just became an infomercial to sell crap to all the get rich quick suckers in the audience. Very sad. How else do you think they can afford to pay all the headliner speakers without selling you something when your seats are basically free. I would go back, just to see Freddie, Joe Montana, Others, but be ready for the onslaught of BS sales tactics.
    Yeah, the last one I went to at WF motivated me to buy books from the speakers.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 75,037, Level: 85
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,513
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,055
    Points
    75,037
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 440
    Given: 576

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Agree with previous posters about all the sale presentations in between speakers. Why don't they put the get-rich-quick , cant-fail stock picking program saleman on the agenda. Also, they way oversell tickets to get there early.

    Stay motivated my friends.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 44,248, Level: 64
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Trice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    1,128
    Points
    44,248
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 86

    Re: Fred as "Get Motivated" Speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermv View Post
    Is anyone else planning on going to this "Get Motivated" conference in Des Moines? It looks like Fred is lined up as the lead speaker on competitiveness. Looks like they've got Captain Kirk in the lineup too for Motivation. Some of the other speakers look pretty attractive too. I remember going to this conference when it was here around 6 years ago maybe.

    GET MOTIVATED SEMINARS:
    I went to one of these in Des Moines maybe six(?) years ago. It was Steve Forbes talking about the flat tax and Phil Town pushing his investment books and seminars. There was George Foreman and a couple of others too.

    It wasn't all bad, but it was just slickly produced nothingness. They advertised tickets as being $200 or $300 if I recall, but they were literally giving them away outside.

    Apparently they struck on the idea of having local celebrities participate, to help drive attendance. Good for Fred but I wish he wouldn't associate with it.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM