Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The more I hear Chizik talk the more I like him.

I just got done watching Chizik's post game press conference and I respect him more every time I hear him. There are two huge things that stuck out in my mind.

1. He isn't satisfied with the way we played on Saturday. I thought we played real well and was happy. I would be happy if we at least give our a opponent a tough game. But he wanted to win that game. I want a coach that isn't satisfied with losing. I want a coach that isn't going to be happy with a loss from any team, even if it is no. 4 Oklahoma. I don't want a coach who thinks that 1-11 or 5-7 or 6-6 are alright. But one who wants to win them all

2. He loves the fans. Here is a quote from him after being asked what he thought about the fans on Saturday

"They were awesome. Our fans come here and do there part. I have not shown up to one home game this year where our fans didnít do their job. They have done their job every week. We got to give them something to cheer about. But I love our fans, I them told them at a homecoming pep rally. You walk out there you see guys with there faces painted you see guys that come every week to see a not very good football team play. You talk about appreciative now, shoot. They are the best. They are the best Iíve come around. Places Iíve been you go 1-5 they ainít showing up. I hope they are excited. I know we donít give them a lot to cheer about but I hope they are excited."

Make the world a better place, punch a hawkeye in the face

Colorado coach Gary Barnett "I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that's the real deal." November 12, 2005

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: The more I hear Chizik talk the more I like him.

Agreed. I truly believe the next couple of years are going to be very exciting.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 830
    Given: 809

I've heard some non-football related stories about him that really make me respect the guy.

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I've heard some non-football related stories about him that really make me respect the guy.
    Dramatic pause complete. Please share.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 92

That should convince anyone on the fence that they need to continue coming to the games and cheering their brains out.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DMBclone View Post
    2. He loves the fans. Here is a quote from him after being asked what he thought about the fans on Saturday

"They were awesome. Our fans come here and do there part. I have not shown up to one home game this year where our fans didnít do their job. They have done their job every week. We got to give them something to cheer about. But I love our fans, I them told them at a homecoming pep rally. You walk out there you see guys with there faces painted you see guys that come every week to see a not very good football team play. You talk about appreciative now, shoot. They are the best. They are the best Iíve come around. Places Iíve been you go 1-5 they ainít showing up. I hope they are excited. I know we donít give them a lot to cheer about but I hope they are excited."
    Heh. Wait until he sees a bunch of idiots out in shorts and body paint for the Colorado and Kansas games. I hope it's in the mid-teens.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

I live in the Twin Cities and have to listen to Tim Brewster all the time. Every time I hear him talk, it makes me even more glad we have Chizik! I'm not suggesting that one coach is better than the other or that one will end up winning more games, but I certainly love that our guy doesn't try to BS & sugarcoat & pretend he's at a pep rally every time he talks.

I personally just love the striaght-forward, no-nonsense approach of Chizik. The passion is obvious (see replay of Oklahoma game just before half), but I don't have to wonder what is really going on with the team after I hear him speak...he tells it just like it is!

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

To me, Chizik says and does all the right things. He's a no-frills or fluff guy who tells it like it is. Darts should be kissing the ground Chizik walks on because he is nothing like the powder puff Mac was when discussing his team. Chizik is respectful and thankful and knows his football inside and out. He is what ISU is all about, in my mind. I heart JP for assembling the high-character coaches that he has to represent this great university.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    That should convince anyone on the fence that they need to continue coming to the games and cheering their brains out.
    Not to sound like I'm disagreeing with you....

But if anybody is truely "on the fence" 2/3rds the way into year one - not sure we want them here anyway, if you get my meaning.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Am I the only one who gets goosebumps just reading his quotes?

I love that he's so honest about the team, but he doesn't sound negative about it. That's so hard to do with a 1-6 team, that has been hanging out around the ESPN Bottom 10 most of the year. I bet it's hard to find another team as bad as we are in terms of record, with as much optimism around it as we have, and Chizik is a LARGE part of that, IMO.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 805
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by leg4cy View Post
    Chizik is respectful and thankful and knows his football inside and out. He is what ISU is all about, in my mind. I heart JP for assembling the high-character coaches that he has to represent this great university.
    I love the coaches we have at ISU for this. Between football, MBB, WBB, wrestling, I wouldn't trade any of these coaches for another one in the country.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Heh. Wait until he sees a bunch of idiots out in shorts and body paint for the Colorado and Kansas games. I hope it's in the mid-teens.
    Lets not forget snow. It hasn't snowed on us in a couple of years and I think we're over due

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I absolutely love Chizik, he is a great person who wants to win the right way.

I have a story from Saturday that my younger brother witnessed, not about Chizik, but referring to Ace Bowen:

My brother was outside the game tailgaiting still when the players began walking out. Ace walked out with his little brother under his arm, of course everyone was asking for his autograph. Bowen did sign for the fans, but under the condition that they allowed his brother to sign them too. He must have had other family in town because 6 of them piled into his old, rusty car and drove off. My brother said the muffler was on the ground.

I have so much respect for a young man taking care of his little brother and making the best of what he has got. I hope he makes a bunch of money and has a long career, if not hopefully he will have his degree to fall back on. Just a side note on one of our best players.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 633

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    Lets not forget snow. It hasn't snowed on us in a couple of years and I think we're over due
    ???
    According to Al Gore and the UN, the Earth is getting warmer by the second. Ames will be lucky in 5 years if it ever sees snow AGAIN!!!

Oops, my bad - I guess I'll have to move this thread to the political forum now...

Anyway, I've never been to an ISU game in which it's snowed (the only one I've ever seen us even play in was Boise Bowl). I do remember Kansas in 1998 - it was absolutely freezing, and after we beat them and proceeded to rush the field, I could have sworn my feet were going to shatter ala cryogenic freezing in the movies after the drop from the stands onto the field

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Missouri game 2004. Gametime temp of 18 degrees with a windchill of 5. Snow on and off the entire game. I was in a band uniform and I was freezing. I'm surprised I held onto the sticks when I couldn't even feel my hands! If I recall correctly, that was the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving too. So, we had to come back for that one.

TRUE & VALIANT