Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 46

Robert Mcfarland

My only question is what happened to the spread offense that I though we were going to run? This looks very Barney Cottonish to me.

The other thing was Scales averaged about 2 yards a carry. Yet we kept running Scales.

I know it's the first year and we are just learning the offense but the offense we are learning is not a spread offense.

Also Scales and number 41 in as Receivers during the 2 minute drill is very weird to me when we have some prefectly capable receivers who can catch the ball that should have been in there. It seemed to me we have never practiced the 2 minute drill. I hope this is just first year stuff and we will ajust later.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Robert Mcfarland

I thought playcalling Saturday was exponentially better than any other game.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 99

The play calling has dramatically improved in my opinion. Remember we only have so many guys who can stretch the field. Scales was pretty effective early in the game.

Watching end arounds, reverse passes, Zero called QB draws and lots of different sets seems to be a huge improvement.

We are a spread offense. Just because you hear of a spread doesnt mean you are going to air it out and throw bombs 70% of the time. I personally can see this offense as being extremely effective over the next few years, just based on our system.

Every team in football practices the 2 minute drill. Keeping scales and barkema (#41) in the huddle doesn't allow the other team to load up with extra DBs.

No offense, but do you really understand the concept of a spread offense?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    The play calling has dramatically improved in my opinion. Remember we only have so many guys who can stretch the field. Scales was pretty effective early in the game.

Watching end arounds, reverse passes, Zero called QB draws and lots of different sets seems to be a huge improvement.

We are a spread offense. Just because you hear of a spread doesnt mean you are going to air it out and throw bombs 70% of the time. I personally can see this offense as being extremely effective over the next few years, just based on our system.

Every team in football practices the 2 minute drill. Keeping scales and barkema (#41) in the huddle doesn't allow the other team to load up with extra DBs.

No offense, but do you really understand the concept of a spread offense?

I would endlessly rep you if I could. It is nice to see someone who actually understands what we are doing on the field. This offense is exponentially better than what we have run in the past and YES it is a spread type of offense. We also need to balance clock management and run/pass plays as we are doing which is why everyone thinks nothing has changed. I was really close to choking the guy behind me in Section E that screamed PASS THE BALL every single down of the entire game.

Some people just do not get it. I'm hoping your name (knownothing) is not a reflection of your football knowledge (said tongue in cheek).

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

Also, as someone else pointed out in another thread, we used a lot of play action against Oklahoma. That only works when you actually hand off the ball and get the defense to bite on the run. Yes it was largely ineffective, but Oklahoma's defensive front is stout, but we have to stick to the running game to keep the defense honest. The problems with the running game largely came in short yardage situations when everyone knew where the play was going to go and we did nothing to take advantage of it. I'm looking specifically at the 4th and 1 handoff to Scales late in the 2nd quarter.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 102

I don't think you can get upset about the Scales getting 2 yard/carry. We need to remember that was against Oklahoma and I was happy it was even that much.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I think Meyer is a pretty good play action passer. He's not this shifty, Seneca Wallace-type QB some made him out to be early in his career. He throws better stepping up in the pocket than moving laterally, and he runs better north-south than he does east-west. Our problem is not between the 20s, it's in the red zone. The whole offense is at fault for our problems there.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Some people just do not get it. I'm hoping your name (knownothing) is not a reflection of your football knowledge (said tongue in cheek).
    I actually know a lot about football. That is not a spread offense. Turn on a Florida Game and you will see a spread offense. We are running an offense similar to Michigan's right now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We will know we are a good football team when it is 3rd down and 1 and we can run it up the middle with the defense knowing its coming. Same thing for our defense. We will know the defense is good when they can actually stop someone like oklahoma on 3rd and 1 and stuff them.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Did anyone else notice who blocked for Scales touchdown? It looked like Rashawn Parker to me.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,724
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    I would endlessly rep you if I could.
    Alright, alright...lets keep it clean here guys this is a family board

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

This might not be the smartest post ever. Do you really think that with under 2 minutes left in the game. ISU down by ten that OU did not have all there defesive backs in the game. Do you really think we were going to trick them and run the ball up the middle with the full back blocking. No OU had all the D-Backs they needed in the game. If you think any different then you don't know football and you accused me of not knowing football. Pretty funny.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    My only question is what happened to the spread offense that I though we were going to run? This looks very Barney Cottonish to me.
    this is laughable... really. we are running more 'interesting' plays since I can ever remember (been a season ticket holder before I was 1 years old). We mixed it up very well against OU, sometimes to our favor and sometimes not... but geez, we moved AND maintained drives.

The other thing was Scales averaged about 2 yards a carry. Yet we kept running Scales.
    Who else is gonna run that well against the #4 run D in the country. did you SEE the size of personnel they have up front. By far the best front line ISU has seen in two years. And IMO, the line did a great job yesterday for who they had to go up against. And Scales ran his butt off each and every play. It is hard to make a cut, or even cutback when a defender has manhandled the Oline in front of ya.

I know it's the first year and we are just learning the offense but the offense we are learning is not a spread offense.
    Funny, I have seen more 4 and 5 WR sets on the field this year (or in one game) than decades combined.. sounds like a spread to me. also, just because we don't line up in a spread O EVERY SINGLE PLAY doesn't mean we don't run it. Most of the plays that you are hoping for will come with THEIR personnel in place.. not with Macs

Also Scales and number 41 in as Receivers during the 2 minute drill is very weird to me when we have some prefectly capable receivers who can catch the ball that should have been in there. It seemed to me we have never practiced the 2 minute drill. I hope this is just first year stuff and we will ajust later.
    If you look at the game, it was about match ups, at that time those were decent matchups to take advantage of and move the chains.

I honestly don't think we watched the same game if you or others come away shaking your head in frustration... I saw more heart and guts out there by a Cyclone team than I can remember seeing....along with some great execution at critical moments.....

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,922
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post

simple...extreme lack of anything close to talent.

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Yeah, we're running a spread offense, but for those who were expecting a Texas Tech/Hawaii style passing attack, I can understand why you're disappointed. I thought we knew early on that McFarland likes to establish the run. And also, I feel like a lot of the naysayers are basing this off of one game, where we were going against one of the best rush defenses in the country.

Go Sssssssssyclones!